Pros and Cons: our previous NC Head Coaches

MinnesotaCane

Sophomore
For those in the know, what were the pros and cons for Howard, JJ and Dennis Erickson. I'm excluding Coker for obvious reasons. I only remember the Erickson era, but want to get some perspective from others. What made them great? What could they have been better at? Thanks.

Advertisement
As I recall, Howard sold they guys into believing. Sold them into working their asses off. Sold them into having confidence. Sold them into knowing they were going to win. Getting and then keeping the players very, very focused. There was some Bear Bryant in Schnellenberger's methodology and psychology.

Come to think of it, JJ, having a background in psychology, did pretty much the same identical thing. He just let them have a bit more fun on the field while winning. He made a few changes from what Howard set up, and he worked his butt off just as he expected the team to work their butts off. JJ was organized. Well organized.

Erickson was a bit more relaxed around the players, really worked to improve the players individually, and all he had to do was put his foot on the floor of what he was handed.

Golden is organized. Enthusiastic. He couldn't sell the first kid on Miami if he didn't believe in Miami, in himself, and the plan. The system he's installing.

A simplistic take on the three.

Coach Schnellenberger was obviously an outstanding recruiter who started the state of Miami recruitment. He was a coach who processed outstanding administrative, communicative and organizational skills. He also should receive major credit for bringing the Miami Dolphins pro passing attacking attack to Coral Gables. The only negative would be the graduation rates of players, particularly AAs.

Coach Jimmie Johnson was pure intensity. He was also a greater recruiter and master motivator. A lot of people outside of UM always thought JJ ran a renegade program and nothing could be further from the truth. JJ was a disciplinarian in every sense of the word who surrounded himself with outstanding assistant coaches. As a defensive coach, he was an innovator. He revolutionized the collegiate game with his emphasis on speed while revitalizing the 43 defense. He also improved UM’s graduation rates significantly. The one negative was bowl game preparation. Other than the national championship year of ’87, and the following '89 Orange Bowl Johnson went o'fer in bowl games

Coach Erickson wasn’t the recruiter his predecessors were, but he was an offensive innovator. The one back, three receiver set he installed at UM is highly recognized today as the foundation to the modern day spread offenses. Imo, he is perhaps the best game day coach to grace the sidelines at UM. I think Erickson never fully understood the culture of Miami football, and things subsequently got away from him in terms of discipline and organization. Having an appetite for certain beverages didn’t help things.

What is interesting about these three coaches is that each one added something different to the collective dynasty. They were innovators, something that has been missing at UM for years.

Last edited:
Schnelly was in total control, much like Golden
JJ was total intensity that could get the 85th man on the roster to run through a wall
Dennis was pure X's and O's. The best offensive HC we have had.

As I recall, Howard sold they guys into believing. Sold them into working their asses off. Sold them into having confidence. Sold them into knowing they were going to win. Getting and then keeping the players very, very focused. There was some Bear Bryant in Schnellenberger's methodology and psychology.

Come to think of it, JJ, having a background in psychology, did pretty much the same identical thing. He just let them have a bit more fun on the field while winning. He made a few changes from what Howard set up, and he worked his butt off just as he expected the team to work their butts off. JJ was organized. Well organized.

Erickson was a bit more relaxed around the players, really worked to improve the players individually, and all he had to do was put his foot on the floor of what he was handed.

Golden is organized. Enthusiastic. He couldn't sell the first kid on Miami if he didn't believe in Miami, in himself, and the plan. The system he's installing.

I love everything about what Golden is selling. I love the camps, i love the message, i love the videos, i love how we have a twitter update on somebody committing, I love the fact that he brought back the greats who played and coached at Miami, and i love the recruitment. If he can win at Miami, I think he'll be one of the great ones to have coached at Miami.

Advertisement

I love everything about what Golden is selling. I love the camps, i love the message, i love the videos, i love how we have a twitter update on somebody committing, I love the fact that he brought back the greats who played and coached at Miami, and i love the recruitment. If he can win at Miami, I think he'll be one of the great ones to have coached at Miami.

Everything you said. I'm extremely excited about Golden. I think he'll be a superstar coach here. He just seems to have that it factor to him. By contrast, I always hoped Shannon would eventually bring the U back but never really got the feeling or impression he was a great coach.

Jimmy Johnson was the best talent evaluator in the history of football, IMO.

And Butch Davis may well have been No. 2. But Jimmy did it not only in college but the pros. He knew how to look at a kid and see where he could get, and could do it with college kids looking to the next level also.

He was also energetic, organized, and a great motivator. But it was his ability to spot the guys he wanted and who could play, that sets him apart.

For me, for what he turned around and then built at Dallas, on top of his UM run, I think Jimmy was the best coach of all time. But he burnt out, so certainly be seen as that for a sustained career. But if you had to pick a guy to build a team, you take JJ in his prime, or you regret it.

Advertisement
Back