Our last championship-level defense

CanesAreAble

All-ACC
[video=youtube;mSYG1M5LNqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSYG1M5LNqY&feature=related[/video]

I know they quit in the Peach Bowl, but that was a **** good unit.

Advertisement
Not related to this thread, but love the green and gold throwbacks we see a few times in the intro, great unis.

Related to this thread: ****, that front 7 looks good in the highlights. Shutting down Marcus Vick, who was definitely one of the most dynamic offensive players in the country at the time, was quite an accomplishment

Last edited:
1) We had more NFL players on the team this year than I remember.

2) I can't remember the last time the defense made a great college QB look that bad.

3) Can't wait for the team to just get near that level.

Advertisement
LE Baraka Atkins (4th round)
DT Orien Harris (4th round)
DT Kareem Brown (4th round)
RE Thomas Carroll
SLB Rocky McIntosh (2nd round)
MLB Leon Williams (4th round)
WLB Jon Beason (1st round)
CB Kelly Jennings (1st round)
CB Marcus Maxey (5th round)
FS Brandon Meriweather (1st round)
SS Kenny Phillips (1st round)

Ten starters off the defense got drafted (all 5th round or higher), and several other backups got drafted as well (Calais Campbell, Darryl Sharpton, Tavares Gooden, Spencer Adkins).

Bruce Johnson and Antonio Dixon went undrafted, but have found homes in the NFL, and Bryan Pata (RIP) was projected to go in the first 4 rounds.

had me thinking +rep for whoever can find the video where michael vick says the dirtiest team He has EVER played against was UM in college

This game, even very late into the run UM had in the 2000's shows that UM, was unfortunately, perhaps the most underachieving program of the past decade based on the talent that they had. It is, what it is

- I remember thinking that was Kyle Wrights coming-off-age game. He really was developing well until that Gatech debacle

- Before his knee injury that game, Tyrone Moss was really coming on and running like a future NFL runner

- This is one of the few games post-2001 where a UM team played like a college program that cared about a Saturday more than their future on Sundays

- And finally, Coker sucks

Advertisement
RE Thomas Carroll
SS Kenny Phillips (1st round)

Ten starters off the defense got drafted (all 5th round or higher), and several other backups got drafted as well (Calais Campbell, Darryl Sharpton, Tavares Gooden, Spencer Adkins).

Bruce Johnson and Antonio Dixon went undrafted, but have found homes in the NFL, and Bryan Pata (RIP) was projected to go in the first 4 rounds.

Wow, that is insane. It is unreal what Coker and Shannon did to this program. Why couldn't we have hired at least semi-competent HCs? We were all set to take over CFB for a decade.

From a talent perspective, that was a sick, sick team. Under Saban that team wins it all.

That VT game was like it should have been for Wright his whole careeer. I forgot the power he had in his arm till seeing those highlights.

Great game to attend. Nothing like watching grown men cry.

Willie Williams and Charlie Jones played like the hype coming out of high school.

That team unfortunately had the second-worst QB in Miami history with the worst QB backing him up.

We hid his flaws relatively well for a bit, but when Moss got hurt KW was exposed.

Advertisement
Charlie Jones and Ryan Moore will be better than Reggie Bush and Mike Williams. Mark it down. If you disagree with me, you're banned from this site.

/cool, thanks 4 the analysis!

I think '03 was more of a true NC quality D. That unit not getting a ring was criminal.

Last edited:
Advertisement
RE Thomas Carroll