New Transfer Rule

hotshot

Sophomore
Beginning next week on October 15th, Division I student-athletes will have the ability to transfer to a different school and receive a scholarship without asking their current school for permission.

Since no "permission" is required," players will be able to contact other schools; reportedly, there also will be a "data base" that players can register on that will allow interested schools to contact them.

Is this free agency, or a big step toward it? I see this most affecting the schools that stockpile HSAAs.

Advertisement
This will help the bag schools for sure if players can just up and walk to a same conference school!

They still have to sit out a year, correct?
I would assume so. Think there are more questions than answers right now about the details of exactly how everything would work, this "data base," the unintended consequences, etc. Even the intended consequence of preventing schools from "blocking" a student-athlete from transfering to another school has questions yet to be clarified.

Advertisement
Thanks, avax.

I found these two sentences the most interesting: "The rule change ends the controversial practice in which some coaches or administrators would prevent students from having contact with specific schools. Conferences, however, still can make rules that are more restrictive than the national rule."

Advertisement
Back