Mike James

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
At 225 pounds, anyone else sense a shift in role coming for Mike James?

Initially, I thought we might give him a shot at being the workhouse. It's possible that he's the type of back that gets more better with more carries.

But with the way he is developing physically, it seems he is headed to basically three roles- I-formation fullback, goal line tailback and one-back sets.

How do you want to see Mike James used this year?

Advertisement
I think it will be a combination of the three examples you gave. I would like to see him play more of a short yardage power back, with some mixed in touches throughout the game.

I think duke plays immedietly so id like to see james used as a change of pace back.

I think he will have to get a signficant amount of RB carries just because our depth there looks pretty shaky. Clements, Hagans who is more of a FB, Crawford who is an unknown commodity and might switch back after spring practice, and the two freshmen. But yes, I could see specialized roles cut out for James...I'd like to see all the TB and FB get carries, reduce the wear and tear and hopefully minimize injuries.

Assuming 35 running plays a game this is my preference:

James 12 carries
Clements 12 carries
Duke 5 carries
Hagans 5 carries
QB rush 1+ carries
Crawford back to S

ETA: the good thing about our RBs is the flexibility. James has plenty of blocking experience, Clements was renowned for his pass catching abilities coming out of HS, and Hagans actually rushed for 1300 yards as a big RB coming out of HS as well so we know he isnt just a pure blocking FB like Hill.

Last edited:
You know the coaches have a better idea of what everyone can offer, but from the little we saw of Clements last year, I was impressed and wouldn't be all that surprised if he wins the starting job. Maybe James comes in for pass protect and longer-short downs. I like Hagans for the short short runs, but I think James can sustain it a bit longer

Well I can tell you this Mike James isn't a "smash" back like some of our fans pegged him as at the start of the year. The way some people were talking about him you think ran like Bettis. Our most physical back last year was actually Eduardo Clements. It's tough to predict how Duke will make the transition to college but if we're assuming he can produce right away you have to think that James will be the odd man out. I love MJ and he's a kid I want nothing but the best for, I'd love to see him have a big senior year but I'm not expecting much.

Advertisement
James 12 carries
Clements 12 carries
Duke 5 carries
Hagans 5 carries

Assuming Morris is the starter I think we'll see him get a lot more chances to run than some people expect(think VT, pro style philosphy with athletic QBs). I think Clements will initially get the most carries but I like Duke to come on later in the year once he gets experience and a chance to adapt. I think James is best suited for 3rd down situations. I actually think Dillard has a really good chance to come in and be our short yardage guy, seems to be the kid who does best with contact.

I think it'll be him and Clements getting most of the carries, Duke Johnson has to learn all of the pass-pro and you can never tell how long it's going to take a back to do that. If Duke picks up the blocking quickly it could be a different story.

I disagree. I'd love to see him finish close games by imposing his will on a worn out defense. As long as he hasn't lost a step, I think he'll be tough enough late in games to turn those 3 to 4 yard runs into 10-15.

From the first time I saw Mike James I thought he would eventually turn into a Quad Hill type. A good pass catching albeit lighter fullback. Running back is a position where a young player can contribute immediately...so with that said I really think the majority of the carries this year go to Clements and Duke.

Advertisement
He's a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.

I think he's a fine 3rd down back, but I wish he was better between the tackles and moving through trash. For 225, he got stopped too much for my liking.

He's a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.

I think he's a fine 3rd down back, but I wish he was better between the tackles and moving through trash. For 225, he got stopped too much for my liking.

Unfortunately a lot of what you're saying here is true. He just isn't a great runner....but his versatility can definitely be useful if used correctly. He definitely doesn't run anywhere near as violently as what you'd expect a guy of his size. In some ways he reminds me of the last James that played here.

I thought he was made for the Quad Hill/Najeh post-injury role

Duke is getting more than 5 carries a game. We probably have him for 3 years we should try to get the most out of him we can.

James will be the workhorse and will play some fullback; especially if Hagens gets hurt.

Duke will get a lot of touches.

Clements will be the 3rd down back.

Crawford will push everyone.

Dillard will redshirt and be a scout teamer in 2012.

Advertisement
I disagree. I'd love to see him finish close games by imposing his will on a worn out defense. As long as he hasn't lost a step, I think he'll be tough enough late in games to turn those 3 to 4 yard runs into 10-15.

LMAO @ a 22 yr old "losing a step".

Think davenport type of role
Will get carries, but will play FB spot a great deal, not necessarily for blocking only
Mismatches out of the backfield type of stuff
Would like to see him and one speedster split in the backfield
Could create issues for a defense

Advertisement
If he doesn't fumble and or miss key blocks, I see him playing a lot.

I'd like to see him get a real shot, and see what happens.

It's his senior year, so wish him the best.

Advertisement
Back