Miami sits at No. 55 in KenPom Preseason Rankings

View as article

Trinton Breeze

Freshman
Premium
The release of the AP Poll means that KenPom is also releasing its rankings, with the Hurricanes coming in as the No. 55 team in the country in the preseason.

KenPom ranks Miami at No. 40 nationally on offense and No. 76 on defense.

If you want to check out more on the rankings below, here is his Top 55.
  1. Houston
  2. Duke
  3. Auburn
  4. Alabama
  5. UConn
  6. Kansas
  7. Iowa State
  8. Arizona
  9. Gonzaga
  10. Purdue
  11. Baylor
  12. Creighton
  13. Tennessee
  14. North Carolina
  15. Texas Tech
  16. Texas...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
If you look at the odds Vegas is giving, Miami is a top 30 team. Tied for 5th best odds to win the ACC and tied for 21st best odds with a few other teams to win the national title. Hard to take Ken Pom seriously in the preseason when they base their rankings off metrics in zero games have been played.

Personally, I think we're going to end up with wins in the high teens, low 20's. There's some talent on the team. Our strength should be our experience and depth. This team has plenty of 4th/5th year players that should pay dividends come the post-season. We should be able to go 9-10 deep without much of a drop off. However, with that being said I think there are a lot of questions at the guard position that need to be answered. Pack needs to stay healthy. Going to be difficult to have any kind of long term success without him on the floor. How will Blackmon and Stanton-McCray adjust to playing in the ACC? One thing is to do it at the mid-major level. It's a whole 'nother story being able to do it in the ACC. Particularly at the guard position. Not trying to put any added pressure on Bethea, but we're going to need some production from him at some point. Not sure how realistic it is to want or expect 8-10 ppg from him, but would be nice if we got it. I'm not too concerned with our bigger guys. I think Cleveland has the most upside from the rest of the bunch. I expect to get solid production from all of the other 3 newcomers, Kidd, Johnson, and Huie. Their transition should be easier. Effort, rebounding and contesting shots is easily more transferable than running the offense and knocking down shots.

Advertisement
Coach L almost always outcoaches his preseason rankings especially with veteran teams.

Not sure that he's ever had a team drop 10 straight on him in his career but I'm positive he did some soul searching this offseason and I expect him to come out ready because Coach L is a competitor.

I'm thinking between 18 and 22 wins and another NCAA appearance.

Coach L almost always outcoaches his preseason rankings especially with veteran teams.

Not sure that he's ever had a team drop 10 straight on him in his career but I'm positive he did some soul searching this offseason and I expect him to come out ready because Coach L is a competitor.

I'm thinking between 18 and 22 wins and another NCAA appearance.
I am with you on this one. I see 18 wins as the floor here. We have guys with size that can move again. We also have guys that can score in the back court. I think Pack will be much better with handling the ball and Cleveland will be who we thought he would be last year.

People can't under estimate Brandon Johnson also. He can handle the ball going to the basket and rebound very well. I am also looking forward to seeing Bethea. Ken Pom is like Mel Kiper.

College Basketball Dancing GIF by Miami Hurricanes

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back