Coaching Miami’s 2022 football staff

I agree. It’s not so much that he has no play calling experience. Which is a major red flag don’t get me wrong. But more importantly he comes from no tree. We have zero clue what he is going to run and that’s a major disappointment.
I think he’d actually be a good hire. Buffalo has a good scheme. Daboll has spent a ton of time under Belichick and alone year under Saban. It’s not like he’s under some bum. Also he’s done a tremendous job developing QBs. Newton won his MVP while he was there and Allen has become a top 5 QB in the league right now. He may not be a play caller yet but it’s coming soon in the league.

Advertisement
If it’s him and he implements air raid than I’m a happy man. Not sure Mario is going to allow that but we can dream
Just my opinion, but there's no way Dorsey doesn't accept this job if he doesn't run the offense he wants, especially when he could have autonomy as an NFL OC shortly.

Would he be a bonafide home run like (in my opinion) Brady or Briles? Maybe not for the exact reason you mentioned. But let's not consider him trash - he's got an impressive resume and relates to QBs very well - **** he's the best option for TVD's continued development for sure, so there's that.

I'd imagine Dorsey implements air raid concepts similar to what is going on right now with the Bills - lots of 4 and 5 WR sets with short passes being a de-facto part of the run game. Get the ball to your skilled, speedy position players (McKenzie, Gabriel, Sanders, Diggs, Knox) and let them go to work.
I agree, and I never said dorsey was trash

but bama and ohio state don't make these kind of hires and we have THAT kind of $$$ now

I agree. It’s not so much that he has no play calling experience. Which is a major red flag don’t get me wrong. But more importantly he comes from no tree. We have zero clue what he is going to run and that’s a major disappointment.
I disagree here a little... Dorsey needs to learn from someone. McClendon maybe the primary and Dorsey the secondary. If we lose McClendon down the road a couple of years from now, we would not be starting all over again. McClendon will be an HC someday. Dorsey can be co-coordinator and QB coach.

I disagree here a little... Dorsey needs to learn from someone. McClendon maybe the primary and Dorsey the secondary. If we lose McClendon down the road a couple of years from now, we would not be starting all over again. McClendon will be an HC someday. Dorsey can be co-coordinator and QB coach.
McClendon is green as well but at least he’s called a game before.

Advertisement
I'm going to be ****ed if it's dorsey.. All the money in the world and we end up with someone who's never called plays would be a complete disaster
McClendon has been a P5 OC before. If the smoke about him being Co-OC is true, then it eases the implied concern about Dorsey having never called plays.

I'm not making a value statement but it would make some sense.
Would he be a bonafide home run like (in my opinion) Brady or Briles? Maybe not for the exact reason you mentioned. But let's not consider him trash - he's got an impressive resume and relates to QBs very well - **** he's the best option for TVD's continued development for sure, so there's that.

I'd imagine Dorsey implements air raid concepts similar to what is going on right now with the Bills - lots of 4 and 5 WR sets with short passes being a de-facto part of the run game. Get the ball to your skilled, speedy position players (McKenzie, Gabriel, Sanders, Diggs, Knox) and let them go to work.
The irony of the "anti-Dorsey" / "pro-Brady" talk is that Dorsey's resume crushes Brady's pre-LSU.

In other words, this board would be going nuts if we hired someone with Brady's resume based on what he did before that one magical year.

But now, it's "Brady Da Gawd".

Ultimately, I'll trust Mario's call and let it all play out before i start calling for heads to roll.

Advertisement
he was WR coach for the pats from 02-06, OC for the browns, chiefs, and dolphins, worked with belichick again for 4 years as TE coach from '13-'16 and THEN saban hired him.

is that really the same as us hiring someone who has never been an OC?

He was a position coach because he sucked as a OC in the NFL. If he were good at the time, would he have been a TE coach?

How would people feel here if we hired Adam Gase? He has plenty of experience, but he SUCKS...

Dorsey isn't my number one option, but there are plenty of guys who would be far, far worse.

Hoya is a solid poster but there are better things you can be spending your money on besides CaneSport/247 memberships

Lake had some good info/scoops during the Coach/AD searches. His CBs are another thing

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mario has an outstanding eye for coaching talent. If he thinks Dorsey is the best guy then he is the best guy.
He also hired Tim Deruyter as DC and no one here wanted Mario to bring him down to Miami. Mario thought the same thing and Deruyter is now some place else. So please lets not hold up a coach as infallible as if we haven't learned that lesson the last 18 years.

McClendon has been a P5 OC before. If the smoke about him being Co-OC is true, then it eases the implied concern about Dorsey having never called plays.

I'm not making a value statement but it would make some sense.

The irony of the "anti-Dorsey" / "pro-Brady" talk is that Dorsey's resume crushes Brady's pre-LSU.

In other words, this board would be going nuts if we hired someone with Brady's resume based on what he did before that one magical year.

But now, it's "Brady Da Gawd".

Ultimately, I'll trust Mario's call and let it all play out before i start calling for heads to roll.
Yes that's true .. however Brady DID have that spectacular season at LSU and Dorsey has never had that opportunity. Kind of like comments regarding TVD "having what it takes" .. before the 2021 season that was just speculation .. after the season .. we saw it first hand. But does it make sense to SPECULATE and hire Dorsey as a first time play caller with no resume? McClendon might be Co OC .. but he will be WR coach. There NEEDS to be an actual OC running the offense. Briles or Brady.

Advertisement
Back