Maybe not the exact right place to post but I'm desperate!

baseballdad

Recruit
Hey there, have a question about the rules pertaining to catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

Advertisement
I umpire youth baseball.

You are correct about the "old school style that goes over the skull cap" being illegal. NFHS (who set the rules for High School sports) made this illegal several years ago.

http://www.nmact.org/file/Baseball_Unit2.pdf (Slides 25-28)

You'll get a mix of umpires who will/won't enforce this rule depending on which rules you are playing by/level of play.

**** right about not having the "cool pro look" that your son would want.

Advertisement
Back