Lonnie Walker is The Truth

Advertisement
Advertisement
Lonnie was TERRIFIC!!! Outstanding - easily best player on either team. The last score to tie the game was down right Jordan-esq. Really. It was that great. But J'Quan really is a liability at PG. We went almost 4 minutes without scoring in OT when he was at point. With the talent on this roster that is completely unacceptable. Larranaga really needs to figure this out. Yes J'Quan was excellent in his first year but he wasn't playing point guard then. He just isn't good at it.

This the Lonnie we been waiting for. Would have been awful tonight if we had to turn to Newton since Brown was off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peep game!

I agree Lonnie was amazing tonight. All you guys complaining about Jaquan are mistaken. Bruce Brown was our offensive liability tonight (thankfully he worked hard on the glass). Jaquan Newton kept us in this game with several key plays. Get off his back y’all! The key to getting this victory was the teams’ work on the glass in the second half and OT. If you watched the first half of this game only you would likely be astonished to find out that we ended up out-rebounding Louisville by 11 on the night. Really nice win tonight against the team that was in second place in the ACC (ahead of Duke) before this game.

Brown had an off game for sure but he doesn't make stupid mistakes like Newton. Brown had 11 rebounds, Newton 6. Both were 2-11 but Brown tries to get others involved and tends to shoot late in shot clock. Newton kind of dribbles around and then puts up a hail Mary. Big difference. Newton was better at the line tonight so I agree he deserves credit for that. Browns struggles there are perplexing. But I would still rather see Brown in the game over Newton all day long. Now if they moved Newton to off guard, and limited his minutes, that would be okay. But Brown is clearly the smarter basketball player.

Advertisement
Newton shot 20% from the floor

Stopped the ball every time he touched it

Dished out an amazing 2 assists

Missed two huge loose balls that nearly cost the game

Let his man blow by him regularly

Yeah. Great game

Walker bailed out everybody but especially Bruce Brown. It's difficult not to laugh at the attempted deflection in this thread away from Bruce Brown toward Newton. Newflash: Nobody is touting Newton as NBA prospect. The guy who is touted was bricking layups without even hitting the rim. That should be a difficult feat but somehow these Canes are masters of it...game after game. Hands of stone and cement and anything remarkably rigid. Newton had one example of his own in the late going. But when Bruce Brown drives to the hoop and uses the backboard it's basically 50/50 that it more resembles a playground play, with a teammate supposed to collect and jam on the other side.

But no, with Bruce Brown these are actually attempted buckets. For real.

Louisville was going for the dagger win after Bruce Brown blew both free throws in the final seconds of overtime, with the Canes leading by 2. I knew it was going to #30 , who looked awesome in pregame shooting drills and always seemed destined to be a thorn in Miami's side. Fortunately Lonnie Walker handicapped the situation logically also, and flashed over there just in time to leap and block the shot. Bruce Brown saved. I have little doubt that shot would have swished.

I still want to know which NBA team is desperate for a bigger than average guard with lousy shooting touch around the basket, and very little variety in his game within the paint. Are occasional rebounds going to trigger a high draft pick?

Lonnie Walker as a freshman smart enough to make the play to tie up the ball when we had possession arrow. This player will be playing this game for a long time. I appreciate watching him play. It's awesome.

On offense, Newton’s best when he is driving to the basket. Anyone who can’t see that doesn’t know much about basketball. Why does every poster on here try to fit a square peg in a round hole? He’s not a great shooter or a great passer, though he’s occasionally capable of both. But he can be great (and has been for most of his time at the U) as a driving scorer. What the coaches seem to be working out these days is how best to get everyone working together with the strengths they have, how to get the most out of the players they have. If you’ve watched these players since they’ve been here you’ve seen the best and worst of each of them. Getting everyone to work together with one and dones can be hard. But in my opinion, this team is growing up in their wins and losses right now (glad this one was a win!). I like where we’re headed

Advertisement
Lonnie Walker as a freshman smart enough to make the play to tie up the ball when we had possession arrow. This player will be playing this game for a long time. I appreciate watching him play. It's awesome.

Cannot wait to watch them when they come up to NYC for the ACC Tourney

Newton shot 20% from the floor

Stopped the ball every time he touched it

Dished out an amazing 2 assists

Missed two huge loose balls that nearly cost the game

Let his man blow by him regularly

Yeah. Great game

I cannot wait until I never have to see or hear about Newton ever again. The guy literally has no basketball sense or IQ. Just a complete out of control ball hog.

I stand corrected. LW may just be ready to go. The ability and talent are there and he's getting more and more confident.

We can be super dangerous when he, BB and Lykes get it going all at once.

Advertisement
On offense, Newton’s best when he is driving to the basket. Anyone who can’t see that doesn’t know much about basketball. Why does every poster on here try to fit a square peg in a round hole? He’s not a great shooter or a great passer, though he’s occasionally capable of both. But he can be great (and has been for most of his time at the U) as a driving scorer. What the coaches seem to be working out these days is how best to get everyone working together with the strengths they have, how to get the most out of the players they have. If you’ve watched these players since they’ve been here you’ve seen the best and worst of each of them. Getting everyone to work together with one and dones can be hard. But in my opinion, this team is growing up in their wins and losses right now (glad this one was a win!). I like where we’re headed

The problem is he shouldnt be on the court. If all you can do is drive to the basket but you cant make a layup than you are useless. If anything he has regressed in his time at Miami becoming an even more horrible one dimensional player.

I don't disagree with this statement, and Newton has been an easy guy to bash. However, my issues with Newton this year have been: (i) that he has forced drives when they aren't there, and (ii) that he has missed a number of layups that he shouldn't miss. Even Vitale pointed out the missed layups during last night's game. Newton's two missed layups last night at the end of regulation almost killed us -- but for Lonnie Walker's acrobatic layup with 5 seconds left.

Just look at his FG% and FT%, which are lower than during his sophomore and junior years.

To be fair, Bruce Brown's offensive percentages are also down this year, but I think more people give him a pass because of his rebounding and his defensive prowess. Plus, Brown has games like FSU and NCState, where he just takes over.

Advertisement
Back