Latest Tate eligibility

TIFWIW. Just read an article by SMD where she linked in an article from the Columbus Dispatch from when Martell put his name in the Portal. The article (from Jan 10) indicates that Martell is believed to be eligible to graduate after this semester. I hadn’t seen the article before (when reading comments on CIS) so I thought that I would post the link for all on here.
https://www.dispatch.com/sports/201...rterback-tate-martell-in-ncaa-transfer-portal
Hopefully he gets a waiver granted and can join immediately, but if he can’t, it appears that he will be able to play immediately after graduating in May.

Advertisement
If Martell is close to graduating (potentially in May), he may not need a waiver.

As long as all of his credits transfer, he could just graduate from Miami instead and be eligible for the fall as a graduate student.

Not sure he would still be considered a grad transfer since he would have transferred here before he got his degree and therefore he would fall under the normal rules.

This shît is confusing. Why is he trying to get a waiver if he can possibly graduate? Is he trying to get elgible so he can come in for spring ball?
So he can enroll early without having to take classes at OSU and he can participate in Spring practise

To Whom It May Concern at the NCAA,

My name is Tathan Martell, and I am a student-athlete at The Ohio State University. I come from a close knit family comprised of many strong, independent women. I am a staunch advocate for women's rights, and have been vocal in the past about many women's issues, most notably the #MeToo movement. During my time in Columbus, former Coach Urban Meyer promoted a culture of violence against women, which I vehemently disagreed with. I attempted to keep my head down and focus on my academics and football, along with being the best son, brother, and citizen I could be.

Unfortunately, early in 2018, events came to light surrounding Coach Zach Smith, as well as Coach Meyer, his wife Shelly, and several administrators of my dear university. I was horrified and shocked to learn of these allegations and embarrassed to be connected to what I felt was such a great institution of higher learning. I began to have second thoughts about my decision to join these men and link myself forever with a tarnished university. After long nights of prayer and deep thoughts with my loving and supportive family, I have decided to leave The Ohio State University and transfer to continue my academic and athletic career at The University of Miami. This was an incredibly difficult decision, but one that was made due to the extreme conviction I have instilled in me about the privileges that should be afforded to all women.

I write this letter to seek immediate eligibility at The University of Miami, as I transition from the toxic culture promoted by my former university.

Thank you and God Bless,
Tathan Martell
Basically this is what needs to be sent.

Advertisement
QUESTION....does an athlete have to graduate from the current university they are enrolled in to be considered a grad transfer? Or could he/she enroll at Miami or another local college like Miami Dade and finish their degree to be granted immediate eligibility?

Last edited:
I have said the wife beating controversy is a good one, his coach leaving is another, and what I’ve been thinking about is if he doesn’t get the waiver he hast to return to Ohio state to graduate which would be potentialy dangerous for him considering the outrage from Ohio State fans right now. Would the NCAA really want to put a kid back on that campus in harms way considering he’s already getting threats

Yeah, he can SAY that. But they might notice that he was perfectly content to stay there and be the man right up until they decided to bring in Fields and hand him the job.

Yeah but the NCAA is so thoroughly corrupt and arbitrary, it just might work.

Fields got a waiver because the racial climate at UGA was supposedly too toxic, yet his sister just got a softball scholarship to play there.

Advertisement
Yeah but the NCAA is so thoroughly corrupt and arbitrary, it just might work.

Fields got a waiver because the racial climate at UGA was supposedly too toxic, yet his sister just got a softball scholarship to play there.

the ncaa has not ruled on the fields waiver

Advertisement
Not sure he would still be considered a grad transfer since he would have transferred here before he got his degree and therefore he would fall under the normal rules.

You can't bootstrap. You can't transfer someplace prior to graduate, then graduate, then be considered a grad-transfer.

If he doesn't want to take a gamble on the waiver, he needs to graduate from Taint before he comes to Miami.

Someone walk up to Tate in OSU gear and call him a white cracker and KKK member. Transfer problem solved. Mission accomplished.

I could see them possibly using all the controversy leading to Meyers suspension as a cause to achieve the waiver.

That’s what I would do. Urban covered up for a wife beater. Martell doesn’t want to be around that kind of culture. Etc.

Advertisement
Watching QB1 I can tell his family is well off I can imagine he’s got a bad *** lawyer and will get the appeal. His coaches left fields just transferred because he did not win the job and OSU coach told him if he comes he’s day 1 starter. I would be shocked to see fields get eligibility over martell.

the ncaa has not ruled on the fields waiver

The NCAA won’t rule on Fields or Martell until April.

Shea Patterson announced he was transferring from Ole Miss to Michigan in December, and was granted his waiver on April 27.

NCAA is slooooow...

The absolute dream is for Tate to get denied immediate eligibility while Hurts declares Miami as his choice. This would make up for a good portion of the bullshyt we've had to put up with the last 20 years

Advertisement
Back