Latest Tate eligibility

Advertisement
Yeah, he can SAY that. But they might notice that he was perfectly content to stay there and be the man right up until they decided to bring in Fields and hand him the job.

Kinda just like Fields was perfectly content to stay there through the racist comment up until the end of the season? And thats why you use the promotion to assistant AD and changing of head coach excuse, that happened after the season.

He might be trying to enroll at miami now. Shea patterson enrolled at michigan in january and was practicing with the team in spring ball while he was waiting for a answer on the waiver.

Wiltfong said that martell could possibly expedite his graduation at osu but it seems he might want to come now so he wont be behind in the offense come the summer.

Makes sense. But is also a risk, right? If he enrolls at Miami, he's no longer a grad transfer candidate and he's guaranteed to sit the year without the waiver. I wonder what compelling argument he's got to make. Is a coach retiring unexpectedly enough?

To Whom It May Concern at the NCAA,

My name is Tathan Martell, and I am a student-athlete at The Ohio State University. I come from a close knit family comprised of many strong, independent women. I am a staunch advocate for women's rights, and have been vocal in the past about many women's issues, most notably the #MeToo movement. During my time in Columbus, former Coach Urban Meyer promoted a culture of violence against women, which I vehemently disagreed with. I attempted to keep my head down and focus on my academics and football, along with being the best son, brother, and citizen I could be.

Unfortunately, early in 2018, events came to light surrounding Coach Zach Smith, as well as Coach Meyer, his wife Shelly, and several administrators of my dear university. I was horrified and shocked to learn of these allegations and embarrassed to be connected to what I felt was such a great institution of higher learning. I began to have second thoughts about my decision to join these men and link myself forever with a tarnished university. After long nights of prayer and deep thoughts with my loving and supportive family, I have decided to leave The Ohio State University and transfer to continue my academic and athletic career at The University of Miami. This was an incredibly difficult decision, but one that was made due to the extreme conviction I have instilled in me about the privileges that should be afforded to all women.

I write this letter to seek immediate eligibility at The University of Miami, as I transition from the toxic culture promoted by my former university.

Thank you and God Bless,
Tathan Martell

Advertisement
Makes sense. But is also a risk, right? If he enrolls at Miami, he's no longer a grad transfer candidate and he's guaranteed to sit the year without the waiver. I wonder what compelling argument he's got to make. Is a coach retiring unexpectedly enough?

I would imagine they would go the "deception" route that worked with the Ole Miss transfers.

Example: Urban Meyer promised me that I would have a chance to compete, that I would be the next QB, but then he lied to everyone about his assistant coach, which got him suspended, then "retired", now the new coach is telling me the exact opposite, that I will never be his QB, and he is taking a transfer over me, etc.

NCAA will be hard-pressed to turn down a kid who cites a well-known liar of a head coach.

Let's not forget, Miami had some bad PR back when we "promised" Brian Fortay that he would be our starting QB.

Hard allegation to disprove.

If Martell is close to graduating (potentially in May), he may not need a waiver.

As long as all of his credits transfer, he could just graduate from Miami instead and be eligible for the fall as a graduate student.

If Fields gets a waiver but Martell doesn't that would be the most ridiculous thing ever.

I mean Fields is going to cite the racist fans yelling derogatory comments at him during games and the school not doing much about it. Frankly, if their is a coaching change these kids should be given more ability to leave and move to other programs especially if they aren't in the plans for the new coach.

Advertisement
If Martell is close to graduating (potentially in May), he may not need a waiver.

As long as all of his credits transfer, he could just graduate from Miami instead and be eligible for the fall as a graduate student.

The issue is spring ball. If he gets a waiver he comes right now with spring ball ready to play on the fall. If he sticks at OSU for the semester I am sure the Suckeyes won't let him practice or work out, so he will be short a full semester of work at football. Is a waiver attempt worth the extra work with the team?

Thats why the graduating thing seem so far-fetched. Also, how quickly does the NCAA actually work? How is he gonna get a waiver before the time to enroll for this semester is over?
Tate can graduate in May and here are some facts. Ohio State is on 14 week semesters, however , summer semesters offer two 7 week courses involving certain classes. Consequently Tate can definitely graduate in May as it appears he took advantage of the 'doubling up" of 7 week summer classes. I believe he will try for the waiver but will also enroll in the spring as a back up plan (he can always drop if granted the waiver). I personally think he gets the waiver as the NCAA has set some precedent already in these cases, hard for them to pick and choose. Tate here in the spring is a big win for UM.

I mean Fields is going to cite the racist fans yelling derogatory comments at him during games and the school not doing much about it. Frankly, if their is a coaching change these kids should be given more ability to leave and move to other programs especially if they aren't in the plans for the new coach.

Exactly. Different circumstances but a coaching change should 100% be grounds enough to be able to transfer. A program doesn't need to hide decades of child molestation (State Penn) or have an unruly coach (Ole Miss) just to let a kid transfer without penalty. A coaching chance is plenty reason to go to a new program.

Advertisement

Interadasting concept. Graduate from UM then "grad transfer" to UM?

To Whom It May Concern at the NCAA,

My name is Tathan Martell, and I am a student-athlete at The Ohio State University. I come from a close knit family comprised of many strong, independent women. I am a staunch advocate for women's rights, and have been vocal in the past about many women's issues, most notably the #MeToo movement. During my time in Columbus, former Coach Urban Meyer promoted a culture of violence against women, which I vehemently disagreed with. I attempted to keep my head down and focus on my academics and football, along with being the best son, brother, and citizen I could be.

Unfortunately, early in 2018, events came to light surrounding Coach Zach Smith, as well as Coach Meyer, his wife Shelly, and several administrators of my dear university. I was horrified and shocked to learn of these allegations and embarrassed to be connected to what I felt was such a great institution of higher learning. I began to have second thoughts about my decision to join these men and link myself forever with a tarnished university. After long nights of prayer and deep thoughts with my loving and supportive family, I have decided to leave The Ohio State University and transfer to continue my academic and athletic career at The University of Miami. This was an incredibly difficult decision, but one that was made due to the extreme conviction I have instilled in me about the privileges that should be afforded to all women.

I write this letter to seek immediate eligibility at The University of Miami, as I transition from the toxic culture promoted by my former university.

Thank you and God Bless,
Tathan Martell

Now you going to steal my idea? That's cool. Just make sure you give credit to the guy who came up with it first.

Exactly. Different circumstances but a coaching change should 100% be grounds enough to be able to transfer. A program doesn't need to hide decades of child molestation (State Penn) or have an unruly coach (Ole Miss) just to let a kid transfer without penalty. A coaching chance is plenty reason to go to a new program.

I feel like the NCAA is worried it will give the players too much power.

Advertisement
Thats why the graduating thing seem so far-fetched. Also, how quickly does the NCAA actually work? How is he gonna get a waiver before the time to enroll for this semester is over?

I doubt it can be done fast enough for Martell to know for sure before he has to be enrolled for the Spring. I read it would be about 6 weeks for Fields to know if would get the waiver so unless there is a way to speed it up if needed based on circumstances I do not see it being done in time for him to be able to be enrolled for Spring without given up the graduating option. I would want to be 100% sure I could get it before I would risk that one.

Kinda just like Fields was perfectly content to stay there through the racist comment up until the end of the season? And thats why you use the promotion to assistant AD and changing of head coach excuse, that happened after the season.

Plus didn't his sister just enroll at Georgia on a softball scholarship.

Tate can graduate in May and here are some facts. Ohio State is on 14 week semesters, however , summer semesters offer two 7 week courses involving certain classes. Consequently Tate can definitely graduate in May as it appears he took advantage of the 'doubling up" of 7 week summer classes. I believe he will try for the waiver but will also enroll in the spring as a back up plan (he can always drop if granted the waiver). I personally think he gets the waiver as the NCAA has set some precedent already in these cases, hard for them to pick and choose. Tate here in the spring is a big win for UM.

The NCAA loves to pick and choose so I'm not using precedent as a reason he's a lock to get a waiver. No one really knows what he has done to be prepared to graduate in 2.5 years from Ohio State or how that correlates to what Miami will accept. We're never gonna know fully. The push to graduate has been brought on by Fields going to OSU. Credit to Martell if he decided at the start of his time there to do it. Leaves him with options now.

Advertisement
Back