Lance Guidry on freshman OJ Frederique: His composure is “not common”

View as article

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
One of the biggest questions heading into Saturday is whether Miami will be able to disrupt Graham Mertz and his efficient short-passing game. Guidry met with reporters to discuss Mertz, Napier and more.

On his familiarity with Billy Napier: You can see some similarities from when he was at UL Lafayette. Played them in the bowl game. He was gone already (after accepting the UF job). But you can see a lot of similarities in the offenses, and he's got better players, of course, at...

Continue reading...

Advertisement
One thing Guidry mentioned that Frederique showed repeatedly when I was at camp: his ability to locate the ball in the air while in coverage.
Animated GIF

Advertisement
On what stands out about OJ Frederique: His competitive nature. I remember one of the first days that he was here in fall camp, he went up against an older wide receiver and he covered him and he didn't back down. From there, your eyes started opening. Just the ability to play the ball down the field and not panic, looking back for the ball and not playing scared. He's got a knack to him. He's big, he's more physical than you think. So as a freshman to come in, and not blink like that, it's not common. We’re really excited about him. I think he's got a great future here at Miami.
One thing I love about this board is its ability to inform me about the details of the game.
During the GT/FSU game @Memnon specifically called out a GT corner and how he would play sound technique up until the end where he would panic and not get his head around to play the ball.
Reading that this is a skill that Frederique is already displaying really gets me pumped up. Also tells me that Coach Jackson is as advertised.

Advertisement
omg so he comes in knowing how to turn his head?

As you can see, not something that should be taken for granted.
LaMiles Brooks (a Jacksonville kid btw)...

With perfect example of why technique is so important when play against deep ball routes.

He was in phase & had perfect positioning, all he had to do was get his fkin head around & locate the ball.

CB's **** me off when they panic at the end of the route smh. Get you fkin hands up & turn your God damned head!

You play the WR at the top of the route & then you play the ball!

Advertisement
Advertisement
I was watching him whenever cuz I took 4 years off and thought a leaner, taller, more agile Corn Elder was out there.

Not literally, just enjoyed seeing a #29.

He was very unnoticeable in a good way on passing downs.

As of the 9/11 CFB25 Rooster update he is editable btw after you start a new dynasty (locked before starting a dynasty). Skill him up. 🚀

Advertisement
Back