lamar took it up the *** by leaving early....lost alot of $$

Advertisement
No Lamar did the right thing by leaving, he had a breakout season and he left. You don't wanna put too much tread on the tires at the RB position at the collegiate level, unfortunately he suffered some injuries earlier in his collegiate careeer that ultimately cost him some money, that's the reason he slipped so far.

Advertisement
NJ, I hadn't read it yet - so thanks.

Some of us get to check in now and then, and thanks to posters such as yourself, we get to catch up.

only his signing bonus, which is about 50K, is guaranteed isn't it (also assume he'll certainly get his first year salary)?

No Lamar did the right thing by leaving, he had a breakout season and he left. You don't wanna put too much tread on the tires at the RB position at the collegiate level, unfortunately he suffered some injuries earlier in his collegiate careeer that ultimately cost him some money, that's the reason he slipped so far.

Agree, I was never mad at him leaving cuz it was the right choice.

he's a RB he only has so much years to be good in the NFL and you sound mad because he's making triple than what you make it a year?

lol. Why would he be mad?? Miller's crappy draft placement didnt ensure his future. He might make 3 times more than some random dude sitting at a desk, but that random dude can sit there for 45 years making that money, while Miller could easily be out of the NFL in 5 years and broke by the time he hits 50.

Not really dissing Miller for leaving. He's an injury prone, soft RB in a position notorious for taking a shi*load of punishment. One more year at Miami and he could have hurt his glass shoulder again, or broke a fingernail or something, and dropped out of football completely. At least now, he gets something for his troubles.

Advertisement
only his signing bonus, which is about 50K, is guaranteed isn't it (also assume he'll certainly get his first year salary)?

His position in the draft has an expected signing bonus of about $486,000, and the story linked reports about that same amount (if you subtract the reported yearly base salaries from the total contract). I don't know where you got $50k.

If all he ever did was play put that four year contract, he takes home about 1.5mm post tax. If he was frugal, that really can last quite some time. Maybe he could have started with a better co tract by staying another year - but not sure his lifetime earnings would be vastly different. He also possibly adds another year of football on the back end (if you assume football years are finite). And a back end year is worth more than year 1. So from a pure financial analysis, I would say it was the right move.

His position in the draft has an expected signing bonus of about $486,000, and the story linked reports about that same amount (if you subtract the reported yearly base salaries from the total contract). I don't know where you got $50k.

I stand corrected. So basically Miller is guaranteed at least $120,000 for each season on the contract and a bit over half a million annually if he stays on the team. not too bad for 21 year old.

I stand corrected. So basically Miller is guaranteed at least $120,000 for each season on the contract and a bit over half a million annually if he stays on the team. not too bad for 21 year old.
but he left early because he thought he would be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.......which would have been at least double that

Advertisement

but he left early because he thought he would be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick.......which would have been at least double that

it doesnt matter what round he thought he was getting drafted. I think he did the right thing by leaving. If his shoulder gets messed up again and requires surgery his football career could be over. By leaving early he was able to atleast get drafted and get paid.

Don't let the fact that other kids left for poor reasons sway you here. Lamar may have gotten bad info and that's why he left. In that sense alone id agree with NJ here. But id disagree with the overall premise that he should have stayed. I think it was best decision for lamar to leave when he did due to reasons already mentioned.

it doesnt matter what round he thought he was getting drafted. I think he did the right thing by leaving. If his shoulder gets messed up again and requires surgery his football career could be over. By leaving early he was able to atleast get drafted and get paid.
but the reality of it is that if he came back and had another good year and proved he was healthy.........he could have made alot more money

the reason he left before even hearing back from the draft committee was because rosenpenis had him convinced that he was a 1st or 2nd rounder

if he had waited until he heard back and found out that he wasnt a 1st or 2nd rounder.......he would still be here

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back