James Williams' projection for 2022 and beyond

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
Would love to hear from some of you who are closer to the players what the feeling is around Williams' physical progress. Naturally, I ask because he's a giant kid with a big frame. I know he's been intent on remaining a Safety. I also realize defenses continue to be evolve as more "positionless."

Nonetheless, someone close to him mentioned he had been dieting or restricting natural growth to remain under a certain size. Is that true?

Next season, our deepest position might be Safety. We'll have JWilliams, AWilliams, KKinchens, Balom (if healthy), Washington, maybe Frierson, maybe Keontra as a hybrid, Harrell, and Markeith Williams (True Frosh). I may have missed someone.

When I re-watched some of our games, James looked best getting after the passer. Clearly, that's why he was used that way on 3rd down subpackages. A lot of how he's used will depend on the DC, we realize. But, Mario has already said "multiple" about 345 times. We can reasonably expect odd and even fronts, and varying subpackages. For those who understand the LB position behind odd fronts better than I, any thoughts on what a transition might look like?

Ray Ray Armstrong made the move too late, but still put together a ~10-year NFL career. JWilliams is bigger right now than Ray Ray was going into the NFL and *may* be stunting his growth (according to some).

Look forward to thoughts on how this situation unfolds.

Advertisement
Would love to hear from some of you who are closer to the players what the feeling is around Williams' physical progress. Naturally, I ask because he's a giant kid with a big frame. I know he's been intent on remaining a Safety. I also realize defenses continue to be evolve as more "positionless."

Nonetheless, someone close to him mentioned he had been dieting or restricting natural growth to remain under a certain size. Is that true?

Next season, our deepest position might be Safety. We'll have JWilliams, AWilliams, KKinchens, Balom (if healthy), Washington, maybe Frierson, maybe Keontra as a hybrid, Harrell, and Markeith Williams (True Frosh). I may have missed someone.

When I re-watched some of our games, James looked best getting after the passer. Clearly, that's why he was used that way on 3rd down subpackages. A lot of how he's used will depend on the DC, we realize. But, Mario has already said "multiple" about 345 times. We can reasonably expect odd and even fronts, and varying subpackages. For those who understand the LB position behind odd fronts better than I, any thoughts on what a transition might look like?

Ray Ray Armstrong made the move too late, but still put together a ~10-year NFL career. JWilliams is bigger right now than Ray Ray was going into the NFL and *may* be stunting his growth (according to some).

This is a good topic to discuss.

I think he'd make a **** good S/LB hybrid player.

He can play center field pretty good, too.

I just don't need him to interrupt mother nature on his natural body growth.

1640825268382.webp

Keep eating.

Advertisement
Safety is a lot of space to cover

He’s so explosive in short spaces and such a big kid I think it’s a natural move. He’s such a good athlete he can be a really good safety though too no doubt but the need might dictate it

Shoot get bigger without losing that burst and speed and he could be Micah Parsons.

Ray Ray is a great example and I knew early he would be better at LB.

I think league is valuing safeties that can cover…see the dolphins safety Holland.

I think Mario has the credibility that Manny lacked to maybe convince him and his camp it’s better for him in the long run.

Advertisement

Translation:

wen lb?

He excelled in his HS film being closer to the LOS. He needs to clean up his tackling technique but he profiles best as an off ball LB and used as a blitzer frequently. Get him to 240 and maneuver him like the chess piece he is with a varying role predicated on the offensive personnel we're facing on a weekly basis.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He’s an OLB and it’s been obvious for a long time. It’s a tough spot to tell a competitive guy that the position that got him this far isn’t what’s best for him but that’s the spot Mario is in. Manny didn’t have the gravity to do that, probably part of the reason we got Williams is Manny told him he’d play him wherever he wants. But there’s no reason for there to be a 6’5 240 safety anymore since they got rid of the huge hits. Can’t scare receivers out of the middle anymore. Put him right on an edge and have him be a monster closer to the LOS that’s a nightmare for Tight Ends. He’s wasted 20 yards away from the action. It makes no sense.

I think james can be good wherever he plays, but i really think he can reach his max potential in the box as a OLB or WLB.

Advertisement
Back