Is there something fundamentally wrong with our Offense?

Seems everybody we play has a better QB than us, and at one time we were QB U

Funny thing, I had the thought today... I'd take 7-8 of the QBs we faced this year over the one we have. I know we've been winning, but it has not been because of Rosier, but in spite of him. It was just a matter of time before his crappy play cost us. Today was that day.

Advertisement
A lot of it has to do with Rosier but I hate that this offense has zero motion.

Also there is no rythmn to the offense.its all over the place.Only thing you can cou t on is a second down run up the *** of an olineman.

Still think we need a dedicated OC.If nothing else somebody to give offensive input to Richt when things aren’t working.Thing is I don’t think Zrichts ego with allow us to get one.

There’s a lot of things that need to change but the biggest thing is the QB.Rosier had done a decent job in pulling out games this year but if he had been more consistent we wouldn’t have been down to the wire in the first place.

I thought there was no way Perry would start over Rosier next year.Then I saw a Richt bench him today.Now I think there’s no way he does start over Perry,Weldon or even Williams next year.I think Rosiers career might be done after the bowl game..jmo

If Rosier hits those passes, Richt looks like a genius.

2 main things imo:

1. Inaccurate QB
2. Inconsistent OL.

Coming into this game, Rosier was only completing 56% of his passes on the season, that's basically Average to below average.

We've been winning games based on Defense & getting big chunk plays in crunch time. Rosier has been Hot/Cold all year, that's who he is as a QB, we haven't needed him to be a Heisman winner for us, just protect the ball, make plays with his legs & hit on some of the Deep balls.

He's done that sometimes this season & other times he couldn't hit a parked car from the driveway with a tennis ball.

He's been a solid QB for us, today we needed him just give us 3 scores & he couldn't get it done. It happens, but I still believe in him & hope he heats up vs Clemson.

As for the OL, our run game has struggled for the last 2 years. Everybody said it was Walton, but even Homer has mostly been contained for the majority of the games we've played until he would usually breakout late in the 3rd & 4th quarters.

Our Offense is predicated on 2 things, Running the ball & getting TD's off the Deep passing game. When the run game isn't going our best hope is that Rosier heats up & drops dimes, when he doesn't we have to hope the Defense can just hold off opposing Offenses long enough for our own to get going.

I do think there are things we could be doing to be more creative with play calling & getting the ball to our playmakers, but ultimately I believe our Offensive struggles are mainly on a limited QB & an inconsistent OL.

Valid points.

After the VT game, Richt talked about how he and the coaches will visit other coaching staffs around the country to learn more about he spread offense. The one thing that is obvious to me is how much more motion would help. We've seen a bit of jet sweeps added in, but there's gotta be more. Cant run shotgun spread and leave out the thing that makes it so tough to defend.

It had nothing to do with coaching or Xs and Os. It was Rosier's play...period. The deep ball is easy to throw - get it up in the air and let the receiver run under it. It is even easier when your receivers create space like we did several times today. Had he hit just a couple of those throws it would have forced Pitt out of the box. Then we could have run the ball effectively. They packed the box and dared Rosier to beat them. He couldn't.

And, I liked pulling Rosier even though it was the 4th quarter. It tells the team that you either perform for 60 minutes or you ride the bench.

Advertisement
Pitt coach had a good plan, stack the box and make rosier beat you, other teams have done this but our receivers made some circus catches when it counted. Dabo will do the same thing, and they can match our talent, I have never thought for a minute we could beat them either. People know Rosier cant throw a football for ****, he has been very lucky, today his luck ran out, you cant live on luck. We have struck out on the last dozen QB's we have signed, its about time we hit on one, and this is MR's specialty so hopefully he is right on N Perry. A damm good QB with all our talent is all we need now, the rest will come around. I have been saying all year we are a QB and a really good back away from being elite again, couldn't believe we made it this far. We DO NOT belong in playoffs this year, we got a little taste this year now with a good QB coming in we will be waay more prepared next year. Case closed

It had nothing to do with coaching or Xs and Os. It was Rosier's play...period. The deep ball is easy to throw - get it up in the air and let the receiver run under it. It is even easier when your receivers create space like we did several times today. Had he hit just a couple of those throws it would have forced Pitt out of the box. Then we could have run the ball effectively. They packed the box and dared Rosier to beat them. He couldn't.

And, I liked pulling Rosier even though it was the 4th quarter. It tells the team that you either perform for 60 minutes or you ride the bench.

Yep. Rosier throws the deep ball like an out route.

A lot of people on here saying if we had the UVA QB look how far we would go, but for my money I think I rather have the Syracuse QB.
We beat the **** out of him and he just keep coming back. A real warrior

2 major reasons. A qb who probably would not be 2ND team on most good teams. An OL that is offensive. Maybe a few other issues also but those are the main reasons

Advertisement
On a side note.. we didn't let Maria Taylor wear the turnover chain because we didn't want anyone outside the program to wear it or it was bad luck.. that's exactly what Pinckney said... why the **** did we let that bytch wear it today? I'm not superstitious but for the people that are....

I'm sure you can credit that to the PR department.

Is he on the BB team also ? Maybe he should pursue that, I like the kid, just not as my starting QB

We need to run more uptempo & move the pocket as well.

Rosier needs to make some throws from a moving pocket & needs to have the field shortened up, he struggles going through his reads & doesn't know how to check the ball down.

Need to run more quick slants & sluggos that allow him to get rid of the ball quickly, when he's forced to sit back there he tends to overthrow the ball because he's forcing the play, Richt needs to simplify things for him.

Also wish we would implement some Spread concepts in this Offense, everything is straight ahead & our run game is extremely predictable & easy to gage. We literally only run a variation of the same 3 run plays, that routinely get stuffed.

Today he just needed to put the ball in the same area code as Richards and Thomas and we have at least 21 more points.

When you have a QB would can't hit **** an a OL who can run block to save their lives. Then you have a problem.

Advertisement
To answer the question the Malik looks and throws at his primary receiver 90% of the time on pass plays. That could be a presnap read for him to do. The RPO is based off the numbers the other team has in the box. If we are even or out number them we run if not we go with a pass. Today Pitt stacked the box and was forcing Malik to throw. He had guys open and throw into coverage on a couple plays I noticed. He also missed open receivers that would have been huge. What I dont see is when we go 5 wide we dont have an outlet pass. They were slow developing routes and the blitz worked well when we dont have a hot route to counter it. When we did have a short route on the same side as the Blitz Malik doesnt even look in that direction. I think Richts calls are good and its a chess match vs the DC on the other team but Malik can make a change to at the line of scrimmage and look masterful and other times seems like he dont know what is being run against him. Frustrating that we had 3 wide to one side with a CB and safety covering them. Malik drops back and doesnt even look to that side of the field. A bubble screen to the slot and you pick up the two blocks and you have a big play. All we can hope is that they go back and prepare and scheme against Clemson to give them a game. Malik needs better understanding of the game and what the defense is giving him.

Advertisement
there is no flow to it and we solely rely on chunk plays. we are the kings of 3 and out

Advertisement
Back