If you are a hoops recruit, why do you go to FSU?

HLSCane

Recruit
FSU seems to do very well in recruiting star basketball players these days, but I'm not sure that I understand it. Of course some kids want to stay in-state, and FSU might be the default D-1 Florida school (if UF wasn't recruiting them and the Canes weren't an option for some reason). I fully respect Leonard and what he did for our program, but I would characterize FSU as the following:

-- middle of the pack ACC team, with only one notable recent ACC championship (2012 tourney);
-- likeable coach, but teams seem to underachieve and coaches don't fully develop talent;
-- fans (student body) doesn't seem to care, and football is king;
-- you are in Tallahassee (I get it that some kids may want a college town, as opposed to Miami/Coral Gables or Atlanta), but compare Tallahassee to other Southern college towns and it seems to fall short); and
-- team isn't on the national radar screen, like lots of NE and Big 10 schools, doesn't play on prime time, etc.;

Thoughts? Is their recruiting bump short-lived?

Advertisement
1. Bare Minimum academic requirements if you are a borderline recruit (not everbody gets David Robinson-like SAT scores...some are more like Tim Tebow in that department)

2. A compliant, politically connected administration who puts "student" athletes first and has a "working relationship" with the NCAA after 2009

3. Local police forces (TPD, LCSO) bought off with good paying off-duty work

4. You can get away with pretty much anything short of murder...And maybe that, who knows...See 2. and 3.

1. Bare Minimum academic requirements if you are a borderline recruit (not everbody gets David Robinson-like SAT scores...some are more like Tim Tebow in that department)

2. A compliant, politically connected administration who puts "student" athletes first and has a "working relationship" with the NCAA after 2009

4. You can get away with pretty much anything short of murder...And maybe that, who knows...See 2. and 3.

100 percent spot on!

Advertisement

In addition, money.

Not to worry, Leonard will get ****canned soon enough because he is a terrible coach. Jon Isaac is thinking about going pro too. They'll probably lose Beasly and Bacon

If Larranaga wins the ACC again this year, he will own the state of Florida for the forseable future

Advertisement

In addition, money.

bag_of_money.webp

Advertisement
Back