If we get better on the D side..... LOOK OUT....

BigDikCane

All-American
The weak link to the 2011 team was the defense.... If coach D can step up and get us into the top 10 on D look out.... The Offense is there, we just need coach D to step up...

Advertisement
The offense is there? No Lamar means James getting knocked down like Marvis Frazier on third and short, and no QB, with no Streeter.

I don't see a good offense. :(

I dont think we need "Coach D to step up" more like, we need to build some quality depth on D with some dudes who fit his and Goldens D

The offense is there? No Lamar means James getting knocked down like Marvis Frazier on third and short, and no QB, with no Streeter.

Was thinking the same thing.

- We lost Lamar and are replacing him with an unknown. Yes Duke looks awesome and I think he will contribute next year and most likely be better than Lamar by the time he leaves, but I don't see Duke at the same level as Lamar as a freshman.

- We have 4 scholarship receivers returning with our best 2 gone. Lots of freshmen coming in, but I dont think any of them are the next Sammy Watkins. They may be good and able to step up, but again, I doubt any of them will be at the level Streeter was at. Hopefully one or more of them can get to Benjamin's level.

- As for QB, I really dont know. I think (hope) we will at least be comparable to last year and hopefully better, but honestly that is an unknown as well and without any receivers.

- TE is the same situation as last year

- Hopefully the OL gets better with a healthy Seantrel, but that will most likely be offset by Washington leaving early.

All this isn't to say the offense will be terrible; the 2nd year in the system will help and hopefully some kids will step up (I dont think anyone really expected Streeter to do what he did last year), but I am thinking the offense regresses a little this year.

I think it's all kind of moot anyway as with our secondary issues, I dont see us being anywhere near a top 10 team on defense.

Was thinking the same thing.

- We lost Lamar and are replacing him with an unknown. Yes Duke looks awesome and I think he will contribute next year and most likely be better than Lamar by the time he leaves, but I don't see Duke at the same level as Lamar as a freshman.

- We have 4 scholarship receivers returning with our best 2 gone. Lots of freshmen coming in, but I dont think any of them are the next Sammy Watkins. They may be good and able to step up, but again, I doubt any of them will be at the level Streeter was at. Hopefully one or more of them can get to Benjamin's level.

- As for QB, I really dont know. I think (hope) we will at least be comparable to last year and hopefully better, but honestly that is an unknown as well and without any receivers.

- TE is the same situation as last year

- Hopefully the OL gets better with a healthy Seantrel, but that will most likely be offset by Washington leaving early.

All this isn't to say the offense will be terrible; the 2nd year in the system will help and hopefully some kids will step up (I dont think anyone really expected Streeter to do what he did last year), but I am thinking the offense regresses a little this year.

I think it's all kind of moot anyway as with our secondary issues, I dont see us being anywhere near a top 10 team on defense.
Agree on all points.

Advertisement
I dont think we need "Coach D to step up" more like, we need to build some quality depth on D with some dudes who fit his and Goldens D

agree. need bigger LBs and more physical DBs for coach Ds system. the defense will be young in some key areas but i think they will get a ton better through out the year

LULZ at this nonsense.

We have around 50 kids a year or two out of highschool.

We win 6 games next year I'll be stunned.

crossover22[]_[];184187 said:

agree. need bigger LBs and more physical DBs for coach Ds system. the defense will be young in some key areas but i think they will get a ton better through out the year

Agreed and repped

I think it will all come down to QB play. Ive been very critical of the idea of Morris as a fulltime starter. Now we're hearing the usual Bakas led scuttlebutt that the switch is finally coming on for Morris, etc... If Williams cant beat Morris out, we are a 7-5 team at best. We are decent enough at the starting positions but if we get any injuries we could be in deep doodoo right quick. We will only have a small handful of runningbacks and receivers on the roster.

Coach Golden has done well to backfill what he could. We're no longer looking like Karen Carpenter at skill position depth but we still look like a chick that TeamRican would hound. That's not good. :)

Advertisement
I think it will all come down to QB play. Ive been very critical of the idea of Morris as a fulltime starter. Now we're hearing the usual Bakas led scuttlebutt that the switch is finally coming on for Morris, etc... If Williams cant beat Morris out, we are a 7-5 team at best. We are decent enough at the starting positions but if we get any injuries we could be in deep doodoo right quick. We will only have a small handful of runningbacks and receivers on the roster.

Coach Golden has done well to backfill what he could. We're no longer looking like Karen Carpenter at skill position depth but we still look like a chick that TeamRican would hound. That's not good. :)
Strong work there SF

Defense wins games. What we lack in experience, we're making up in enthusiasm, energy, strength, endurance, and determination. Goes a long way.

Quarterback?

I'm not looking for a downside here. It can only be better than we've had the last several years.

Nothing like fresh blood to mold, coach, teach, and motivate. That too, goes a long way.

When did Bakas say that? D$ can correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was the one that said Morris was starting to look good.

Advertisement

Not sure why you think Williams would be the better Qb of the two.

I want to see a better pass rush on defense, that could solve a lot of problems that we had on defense imo. We need our DTs to actually get some push and disrupt runs up the middle. I think a 2nd year in the defensive system will help the linebackers play disciplined football and stay in the lanes they are suppose to. Ray Ray and VT are liabilities as safeties though, really hoping Dallas can come in and do better.

On paper the defense is going to have a difficult time controlling the line of scrimmage. There isn't much depth up front. We still have VT and Ray Ray as safeties. The corners are unproven.

It's going to be a long season. On paper.

Advertisement
Bakas said Morris has improved? That would be great, but I am not confident.

I'll never forget his "Mummy" impersonation against Maryland last year. That " frozen solid, deer in the headlights , can't wait to turn the ball over and get off the field" look. :(

If he was any kind of a a QB, he would have beaten out JH and won games for us last year.

Advertisement
Back