I/2 court offense

obfan

Redshirt Freshman
It seems we are having the same problem this season as last. Last year I called it the Slo Mo offense because it took sooo long to set up. This season I am calling it the No Mo offense are just standing around with zero motion. C'mon coach how about a weave of some kind? Our ball rotation is just awful and without a weave all we have is a desperation 3 or a desperate individual drive. Its ugly and we can and should fix it.

A start IMO would be to immediately put DJ back to his last years role coming off the bench. We may as well let Walker mature ASAP. It will not always be pretty and I'm not sure if he is coach able but we need to try. Lot of offensive talent when they are running the floor but 1/2 court is embarrassing .......again

Advertisement
We score well in transition and the P&R. When the other teams are able to slow that down and get back on defense we tend to struggle. I think that part of it is related to not having a pg who knows how to set up others. For all of JN talent he still misses wide open guys in favor of going to the rack.

And Lykes is starting to annoy me with his handle. He's losing the ball trying fancy dribbles every single game.

Where's our reliable, 'go to' 20+ ppg scorer (heck, I'd settle for 18 ppg)? Spreading the wealth is fine but ... not good when your top scorer is averaging 13 ppg.

FG Pct/3 Pt Pct

Lonnie 42/31
Bruce 43/27
DJ 44/40
JaQuan 48/14
Chris 39/39
Amp 51/45
Sam 33/33

Ain't gonna win many shooting like that!

Newt is turning it over a lot too. With all the "guards" on this team I'm not sure if we really have a "point" guard. When teams start pressing us and they will it could get ugly. I love coach but this lack of a 1/2 court plan is killing us.....again. As the ACC season progresses and teams get set and serious we are gonna look really foolish ......again.

Side note. Does Izundo have more fouls or points this season? He is a fouling machine.
Side note 2 - I shudder to think what this team would look like without the incredible progress Huell as made

We excel in playing catch or dribbling for 20+ seconds and then playing hero ball. Too many of our guards like to pound the rock on the floor and do nothing to set anyone else up for a better shot. Brown was an improvement over Newton last year in terms of setting the offense, but he's been Newton 2.0 this year on that front. Lykes has been the only guard that has shown an ability to get someone else a good shot. Unfortunately, he's a short freshman adjusting to the size of the college game and at times tries to do too much. Guys like Brown and Newton are looking for their own shot and passes from the lane are basically bail-outs instead of taking a horrible shot. None of our guys that handle the ball are especially good at running the pick and roll/pop game, but I think you need to have a jump shot to really make that work (see Larkin) and neither Newton nor Brown have that outside of 15 feet.

Combine that with not having anyone that consistently knocks down three pointers and you have an offense that is easy to defend by clogging up the lane. Our shooters are streaky.

Maybe we should try and play more uptempo given the athletes on the team? Play more inside out in the half court when Huell is on the floor? Go to a motion offense that creates shot opportunities (flex or back door cuts)?

Coach L's halftime interview last night summed up the whole game.

Advertisement
We are a dangerous transition team for sure but teams have figured that out and do their best to slow us down just like the end of last season. We need motion and this bunch of HS scorers have probably never done it. Staff has work to do

It's obvious that you must play zone on us. If you play man we will eat you alive. We need to pass the ball when we're against a zone. For years, we try to dribble our way out of a zone and this keeps the zone set and makes it very hard to score. You can always beat a zone by great ball movement. Stop dribbling and pass the ball with some swing passes and after a few of those there will be a hole and that is when you attack. Other way to beat the zone is to get the ball in the high post and let that guy create. Amp can do this. He has developed that floater where he can do that if they don't collapse on him and if they do he can pass it low post to huell who dominates 1 on 1 coverage or out to an open shooter.

You can always beat a zone by great ball movement. True but

i have seen better ball movement from Middle School travel teams

We are a dangerous transition team for sure but teams have figured that out and do their best to slow us down just like the end of last season. We need motion and this bunch of HS scorers have probably never done it. Staff has work to do

UNC and Duke are "transition teams" too. How come nobody slows them down? OK, to answer my own question, they have more talent. Still, we have enough that it shouldn't be that easy to hold us in the 50s. With UM, regardless of HC, have we EVER had a team since the 60s that could run, playing an end to end fast-paced game? I really thought this season we finally had the talent/athleticism and depth to do just that!

Advertisement
It's obvious that you must play zone on us. If you play man we will eat you alive. We need to pass the ball when we're against a zone. For years, we try to dribble our way out of a zone and this keeps the zone set and makes it very hard to score. You can always beat a zone by great ball movement. Stop dribbling and pass the ball with some swing passes and after a few of those there will be a hole and that is when you attack. Other way to beat the zone is to get the ball in the high post and let that guy create. Amp can do this. He has developed that floater where he can do that if they don't collapse on him and if they do he can pass it low post to huell who dominates 1 on 1 coverage or out to an open shooter.

I noticed it too. That shot can really open up the offense for a player.

Other requirement is being able to drill it from the perimeter.

Other requirement is being able to drill it from the perimeter.

And we are capable of doing that. It's much easier to hit shots when there is a ball movement, you're open, and you shoot in rhythm. We miss a lot of threes because they are bad shots that are forced.

Advertisement
You beat zones by pushing the ball and not letting them get set up. Passing around a zone is 1960's coaching philosophy where you have to make three passes before you can shoot.

Before the collapse in the last two minutes vs. GT they started to apply pressure after a make, scored 8 straight, and got right back in the game. They could've run GT off of the court. Jerry Tarkanian 101.

You beat zones by pushing the ball and not letting them get set up.

That would be first choice but teams have slowed us down successfully by challenging us in the back court. It works against us so now we only have our 1/2 court game and not a full shot clock to work with. We need a 1/2 court plan IMO that means motion as our ball movement flat sucks

Advertisement
I would like to see them even push the ball after a defensive rebound...outlet, pass, pass, lay-up.

There is a ***** for every seat...and that's just the way that I used to coach.

Totally agree and the staff must see it if we can. Newt is not that great a ball handler and Lykes can't pass over anyone . Its a problem but we need to avoid the 5 on 5 as much as possible. Walker and BB at full speed are awful fun to watch as well. FSU is a major test

Advertisement
Back