How far will Miami go?

edge3241

Freshman
How far do you think Miami will go in the NCAA tourney?

My prediction is Elite 8. I think we breeze by Buffalo, barely beat Arizona, and then play our best game to defeat Villanova or whoever upsets them. Then we run into Kansas which will be too much for us to handle. This team has the ability to beat anybody, I just hope they come to play in the tourney.

Advertisement
How far do you think Miami will go in the NCAA tourney?

My prediction is Elite 8. I think we breeze by Buffalo, barely beat Arizona, and then play our best game to defeat Villanova or whoever upsets them. Then we run into Kansas which will be too much for us to handle. This team has the ability to beat anybody, I just hope they come to play in the tourney.

That's assuming Arizona beats the winner of the Vandy/Wichita State play in game which is questionable.

Advertisement
The only true answer is no idea. We're good enough to win the whole thing if everything is clicking. On the other hand, if we play like we did against NC State or Va Tech (the second time), we could be knocked out in a first round upset.

i just dont see a long run. S16..maybe

If this was the Larkin led team that group in this years tourney Elite 8 without any doubt,cant say that for this team

Advertisement

If this was the Larkin led team that group in this years tourney Elite 8 without any doubt,cant say that for this team

I don't know about that. Look, I love the 2013 team, but I think everyone puts them up on this ridiculously high pedestal. They were very, very good, don't get me wrong, but the ACC was not very tough at all that year. You had Duke who was a top 10 team, and aside from that UNC was a #8 seed, NC State was a #8 seed and that's it. UVA made the NIT, FSU made the NIT, Maryland made the NIT. That's it for postseason. This year 7 ACC teams made the NCAAs and 8 would have made it if not for Louisville's ***** problems. Miami finished 3rd behind two #1 seeds.

I don't know about that. Look, I love the 2013 team, but I think everyone puts them up on this ridiculously high pedestal. They were very, very good, don't get me wrong, but the ACC was not very tough at all that year. You had Duke who was a top 10 team, and aside from that UNC was a #8 seed, NC State was a #8 seed and that's it. UVA made the NIT, FSU made the NIT, Maryland made the NIT. That's it for postseason. This year 7 ACC teams made the NCAAs and 8 would have made it if not for Louisville's ***** problems. Miami finished 3rd behind two #1 seeds.

I tend to agree. I think the teams are pretty similar. The 2013 was more consistent though. However, I think this team is built more for the NCAA tourney. We lacked depth at guard in 2013 but had front court depth. Larkin and Scott were great but we had no one behind them at all. Larkin gets a stomach flu 24 hours before the game against Marquette and it resulted in us having no chance in that game. This year we are the opposite where we are deep at guard and thin in the front court. Everyone says great guard play wins the NCAA tournament and we have the talent. This team has shown that when they are playing well they can beat anyone including beating a 5 seed and a 3 seed away from home by 20 plus. I felt in 2013 we could beat most teams but there were a few teams that would have been too much for us that year.

It has nothing to do with the ACC as a whole, as i said if this were the 2013 team going into "THIS" tourney,I feel better about us going deep in the tourney. We can agree to disagree,its all good.

It has nothing to do with the ACC as a whole, as i said if this were the 2013 team going into "THIS" tourney,I feel better about us going deep in the tourney. We can agree to disagree,its all good.

My point was, it was one of the reasons we looked so much better and more consistent throughout the year. We were playing worse competition.

Advertisement

I tend to agree. I think the teams are pretty similar. The 2013 was more consistent though. However, I think this team is built more for the NCAA tourney. We lacked depth at guard in 2013 but had front court depth. Larkin and Scott were great but we had no one behind them at all. Larkin gets a stomach flu 24 hours before the game against Marquette and it resulted in us having no chance in that game. This year we are the opposite where we are deep at guard and thin in the front court. Everyone says great guard play wins the NCAA tournament and we have the talent. This team has shown that when they are playing well they can beat anyone including beating a 5 seed and a 3 seed away from home by 20 plus. I felt in 2013 we could beat most teams but there were a few teams that would have been too much for us that year.

I wonder how things would have been different if Bishop Daniels hadn't flaked out

Keep in mind, if Larkin didn't get the stomach bug the day before the Sweet 16 game who knows how far that team would've gone.

This team has excellent depth and balance and when we get out there and play our game we match well with anyone in the country.
Key to me will be if Sheldon gets a little more selfish and takes 4-5 more shots/ game. We need him to assert himself early and often. When he does it takes pressure off Angel & Reed and as defenses start to double him that creates good looks on the perimeter. Angel is the wild card, if he can stay focused on being the floor commander vs being the primary option we do so much better.

We are capable of a Final Four run, we just need to max play to our abilities.

I wonder how things would have been different if Bishop Daniels hadn't flaked out

Yep. A 3rd guard could have made a big difference.

Advertisement
If we play like we did against Utah, Duke, UVA, last several minutes of Louisville, @ND? Very capable of an Elite 8 or even Final 4 run.

If we play like we did at NC State, 2nd half at Clemson, at UNC, or at VT? We won't make it out of the first weekend.

Keep in mind, if Larkin didn't get the stomach bug the day before the Sweet 16 game who knows how far that team would've gone.

This team has excellent depth and balance and when we get out there and play our game we match well with anyone in the country.
Key to me will be if Sheldon gets a little more selfish and takes 4-5 more shots/ game. We need him to assert himself early and often. When he does it takes pressure off Angel & Reed and as defenses start to double him that creates good looks on the perimeter. Angel is the wild card, if he can stay focused on being the floor commander vs being the primary option we do so much better.

Angel is very important but I think Jekiri is the wild card. I saw a stat where in wins he averages like 9 and 9 and in losses it's around 4 and 5. He is the only inside presence we have and when he gets dominated it's very obvious and kills the will of the team. Angel is the soul of this team but if he is off we have others who can step up at guard.

Or if we would have played zone against Marquette. My co-worker was a MU alum. He said they sucked against the zone. We played man. They tore us apart. He laughed in my face at work the next day. We were a lot better than them. I'm still ****ed. Larkin at 50%, no Reggie, playing zone. We should have been in the Elite 8.

Advertisement
Back