How are the Punter and Kicker positions effected in regards to portal?

canesfanmpls

Sophomore
Just a thought - if I am the coach of a top program - I probably would not waste resources recruiting high school kickers and punters. Poach the proven ones from the portal. I suppose you could argue it’s the same as every position. Maybe a dumb thought but who knows.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Its a good point. Punters and kickers have saved our inept asses from complete embarrassment for many seasons

The same as any other position. You need a good one, so do other teams, and there aren’t enough for everyone. It would be foolish to ignore a source of talent when nothing is guaranteed.

You try to fill your needs in high school, and look into the portal to plug holes or shoot your shot at a baller.

Just a thought - if I am the coach of a top program - I probably would not waste resources recruiting high school kickers and punters. Poach the proven ones from the portal. I suppose you could argue it’s the same as every position. Maybe a dumb thought but who knows.

No just get them from Australia

A year or two ago, we brought in a PWO punter as a transfer from Oregon, Will Hutchinson. I don't know that he ever punted in a game, but I'm pretty sure he was the holder on kicks. He walked on senior night and is now in the portal again.

Advertisement
Pat O'Donnell
Justin Vogel
Dalton Botts
Jose Borregales
Lou Hedley

All those guys transferred into UM and were successful starting punters or kickers.

So, yeah, you make a good point, OP.

Advertisement
Back