Great Win vs Duke

Freddie Bear

Freshman
The crowd was pumped and loud. Everyone played well all hands aboard. Angel had his best game since PR. Lots of assists.

Advertisement
Who was ESPN halftime commentator with bald head? He was raving about the team, saying it was potential Final 4 team based on its great defense and very good offense.

Who was ESPN halftime commentator with bald head? He was raving about the team, saying it was potential Final 4 team based on its great defense and very good offense.

Was it the old VT coach? He loves L. Said we were a natty team before most people in 2013.

That's Seth Greenberg. Good coach, good analyst. He's always been high on the U and on Coach L, and he was giving us a ton of love during and after the game!

Newton is so confident out there right now it's wonderful to watch. I cringe whenever we take him out.

Jekiri was getting his paws on one ball after another near the basket but he doesn't finish many of them. Too bad he doesn't have one go-to move, even if it's just jump and shove. A guy like that desperately needs to learn how to use the bank shot.

Very strange Duke team, without much of an inside presence. We got more comfortable shots in the paint against them than two conference games combined.

Coach K used the same lineup the final 6 or 8 minutes without substitution. It was one grad student at center surrounded by a sophomore and three freshmen. Those young guys were obviously talented but darn were they thin and young looking. It seemed like we were facing a high school all star team, which was mostly correct, I guess.

I wish the crowd had avoided the cliche "overrated, overrated" chant with a minute remaining. Let the Duke fans have that nonsense all to themselves. It never made any sense to begin with...devaluing your own accomplishment.

Advertisement

That's Seth Greenberg. Good coach, good analyst. He's always been high on the U and on Coach L, and he was giving us a ton of love during and after the game!

Yep. Didn't recognize him since his UM days. Seth was Bill Foster's asst when the U resurrected basketball in the '80's.

When this team plays great D and hits roughly 40% from 3 they are unstoppable. They are also much better when attacking the lane and not "settling for the 3". The 3 point attempts have to come from dribble penetration/open looks.

Advertisement
Newton is so confident out there right now it's wonderful to watch. I cringe whenever we take him out.

Jekiri was getting his paws on one ball after another near the basket but he doesn't finish many of them. Too bad he doesn't have one go-to move, even if it's just jump and shove. A guy like that desperately needs to learn how to use the bank shot.

Very strange Duke team, without much of an inside presence. We got more comfortable shots in the paint against them than two conference games combined.

Coach K used the same lineup the final 6 or 8 minutes without substitution. It was one grad student at center surrounded by a sophomore and three freshmen. Those young guys were obviously talented but darn were they thin and young looking. It seemed like we were facing a high school all star team, which was mostly correct, I guess.

I wish the crowd had avoided the cliche "overrated, overrated" chant with a minute remaining. Let the Duke fans have that nonsense all to themselves. It never made any sense to begin with...devaluing your own accomplishment.

Some great observations, AD. Coach K noticed the crowd's "overrated" chant, as well. He mentioned it in his post-game comments, wondering aloud if Duke was even "rated".

Coach L praised the crowd, although he took another (deserved) shot at the students not showing up for the Wake game.

Some great performances out there last night. I could not agree more about Newton. He can get a bit out of control at times, but he has a great shot and some terrific moves.

Murphy played TOUGH defense and fought hard under the basket for rebounds. He had one of those games where his performance far exceeded his stat sheet. We need his added presence underneath, so that Jekiri isn't our only big man. ICU even seemed to step up his defense last night.

Finally, it was great to see Angel in the zone. His 3 threes were big, but more importantly he was a great distributor, and committed 1(!) turnover (compared to 11 assists). That's unbelievable.

Now, hopefully, Coach L can build some momentum going into the series of alternating home and away games on the schedule. The next 6 are all winable, with the toughest ones at home, but we need to continue to play well to avoid a lull.

Last edited:

Some great observations, AD. Coach K noticed the crowd's "overrated" chant, as well. He mentioned it in his post-game comments, wondering aloud if Duke was even "rated".

Coach L praised the crowd, although he took another (deserved) shot at the students not showing up for the Wake game.

Some great performances out there last night. I could not agree more about Newton. He can get a bit out of control at times, but he has a great shot and some terrific moves.

Murphy played TOUGH defense and fought hard under the basket for rebounds. He had one of those games where his performance far exceeded his stat sheet. We need his added presence underneath, so that Jekiri isn't our only big man. ICU even seemed to step up his defense last night.

Finally, it was great to see Angel in the zone. His 3 threes were big, but more importantly he was a great distributor, and committed 1(!) turnover (compared to 11 assists). That's unbelievable.

Now, hopefully, Coach L can build some momentum going into the series of alternating home and away games on the schedule. The next 6 are all winable, with the toughest ones at home, but we need to continue to play well to avoid a lull.

should be a favorite in the next 6 IMO. Hopefully that sparked Angel & he'll continue to play that way for the rest of the year. When he does play well this team can be the best in the nation. I truly believe that.

Advertisement

I completely agree on the overrated crap, especially when we were ranked higher than they were and they had a 6 man rotation basically. We honestly should have beaten them much worse and let them hang around way too long.

At least we didn't bum rush the court...that made me happy. Coach L has done very well against Duke since his arrival, no need to act like we haven't been here before.

Also, while it is somewhat true, if I had to listen to **** V. mention the fact that we have been transfer heavy one more time...:Angry: The least he could do is mention how it was necessary for Coach L to go in that direction based on what he inherited.

UM

Advertisement
I was in the student section. We were chanting overrated because they don't deserve to be ranked. They're the only 5-loss (now 6) team in the Top-25 and are only there purely because of their name. It was more of a clever jab in my opinion.

The overrated thing was ill-timed, if anything. I don't recall specifics, but I seem to remember that they still could have hit a few shots and caught up at that point.

Advertisement
Back