Graham and Swoope

hotshot

Sophomore
Interesting how these two useful, but average (or less), UM hoops players have done so well in the NFL. Graham at the Pro Bowl level and Swoope, for a guy who played zero college football, making his presence known!

Wonder if there are players currently just having so-so careers on the UM football team, who could be big contributors to UM hoops (as Jimmy G was to UM football). I'm sure Graham and Swoope look back now and realize they definitely played the wrong sport at UM.

Advertisement
I'm not sure if Njoku has a shot but with his wingspan, height, and vertical along with his speed he would a prototypical basketball player at the 3 spot.

Basketball is a game of such immense skill. The only guys that succeed after picking the game up late are super lanky athletic specimens. They can get effort rebounds and dunks, and make Njoku look stocky. Great shooting and handling, which even a 3-and-D bench player needs, take years to develop.

I recall Corn Elder was supposed to be capable of being a two sport player here. But ... too injured and too valuable to football team.

I would think where a football player with the right frame might have the easiest transition would be playing the classic 4, especially defensively -- blocking out big-bodied, physical opponents and providing defensive rebounding. Basically, like Graham did.

Advertisement
Jimmy was an underrated guy, whose basketball career was wasted by Frank Haith. You look at what Jimmy could do well, and it's amazing that Miami couldn't do more with him. Then again, he would have been best served by playing in a transition based offense, so he could pick up easy dunks on the break. Haith didn't want to do that, the only thing he could teach, or call was the "Let's all set a ton of screens so Jack could get a shot off" offense. I understood getting Jack shots, but it basically meant that you had 4 other guys who didn't get to do much of anything. It limited what the team could do, and made Jack's life way more difficult than it had to be.

Then again, there's a reason why despite having guys like Jimmy Graham, James Dews, Dwayne Collins(That dude should SUE Haith for ruining him) and others, Miami was never a true threat in the ACC. A guy like L would have gotten far more out of those guys.

Jimmy was NOT a good basketball player. Especially at the ACC level. He was physical and had a big heart! Not much more. He'd likely tell you that himself!

Advertisement
Jimmy was NOT a good basketball player. Especially at the ACC level. He was physical and had a big heart! Not much more. He'd likely tell you that himself!

Not fair and not true. He was very limited offensively but was good on defense and the boards. He was a key reserve on some good teams. Swoope was mostly a near-end of the bench guy had had less of an impact on the court, but also had some moments of contribution. Graham was a better basketball player than people give him credit for, or seem to remember.

Not fair and not true. He was very limited offensively but was good on defense and the boards. He was a key reserve on some good teams. Swoope was mostly a near-end of the bench guy had had less of an impact on the court, but also had some moments of contribution. Graham was a better basketball player than people give him credit for, or seem to remember.

Everyone, including me, loved Jimmy's effort and physical play. Toward the end of his last year, he was even providing some decent offense too. Until that point, however, we were playing 4 against 5 when he was in the game and we were on offense as the opponent didn't really have to account for Jimmy scoring at all. Lotta zeros, over his career, in the offensive categories on the score sheet. Great to see his big time success in pro football.

Advertisement
Back