gone in draft or staying projections

Advertisement
I would think Abreu and Heyward are certainly gone. Can't think of a real position for Barr and even Ruiz so they may be back.

You have to leave during your junior year barring markedly extenuating circumstances.

Abreu needs the money, he is definitely gone.

Barr already red-shirted and cannot add another year. He batted much better this season, so he is gone.

Batista did not play enough, but is batting .305. He is a junior. There is a slight chance that he stays, but I would wager that he is gone. IF UM can get him another year, then he will stay. He may not get drafted, though, which means "he stays".

Heyward could come back. He had a rough year and his brother can pay his expenses. I think Heyward returns.

Ruiz is gone. He had a very good year with a .340 batting average and is a junior. If UM can get him another year, he could go quite high during 2017 draft, but he is most probably gone.

Good point. If they do not have a future in baseball, they will stay. They can get a Master's degree at a fraction of the cost. Barton was a player that left that should have returned.

Advertisement
I don't see Ruiz being a top draft pick. He will be back. Barr will be back, Bautista back. The rest gone. Slight chance Heyward comes back because of a bad junior year. Kind of like Dale Carey a few years ago.

Gone: Collins, Abreu, Heyward, B Garcia

On the fence: Ruiz (not sure if he will be drafted. I doubt it, he doesn't really seem like a pro prospect, but who knows)

No idea: D Garcia (any insight on him?)

Barr is 100% back. If he was an MLB prospect he would have been drafted and left last year.

Also keep in mind that anyone drafted could be back if they get low-balled with an offer by an MLB team. A few years ago Stanford had a junior pitcher selected in the top-10, but he returned for his senior year because his contract demands weren't met.

Advertisement
It's going to be interesting to see how this all shakes out over the next few months.

Even assuming Collins, Abreu, Heyward, and B Garcia are gone, we could very well have a Top 5 team again next year.

We have a very good HS recruiting class (again, even assuming we lose the top 2 or 3 guys), and this staff absolutely has crushed JC recruiting for 2017.

The decisions of Barr, D Garcia, and Ruiz (as well as of the HS Catcher and SS we've recruited) will likely determine whether we are a National Seed again or just fighting to host a Regional

Advertisement
The other one I'm curious about is Romy Gonzalez. I wonder if he'll be transferring or if there is potential for him to figure things out next year.

We will lose Collins, Abreu, B. Garcia for sure. I think Heyward could use an extra year at school. Barr, Ruiz, D. Garcia should all return. What I'm curious about is if our top recruits will make it to campus. Jesus Luzardo, Luis Curbello, and Colton Welker are all projected to go somewhat high.

Advertisement
I think Heyward returns. He has strong financial backing, his family values education and he will not be drafted high. Better to finish the degree and then head to the Minors. When we lived in Atlanta, we met his extended family during the GTech series. He has a truly wonderful family. They told us that few programs teach baseball at the level that Miami does. I think he stays.

Advertisement
Back