Georgia Tech Trying To Steal Our Heir Apparent?

Tad Footeball

1996 Interim Big East Conference Commissioner
Premium
People always assume that he's 100% holding out for a head coaching job in the NBA but those aren't exactly handed out routinely to lifelong assistants.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets reach out to Jeff Capel, Jay Larranaga

Sources: Georgia Tech reaches out to Jeff Capel, Jay Larranaga

Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

Georgia Tech has reached out to both Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel and Boston Celtics assistant Jay Larranaga, but remains in the initial stages to replace Brian Gregory, multiple sources told ESPN.

Capel has yet to be interviewed by Georgia Tech athletic director Mike Bobinski, sources told ESPN.

Georgia Tech has reached out to Duke assistant Jeff Capel, according to sources, as part of its search for a new head coach. AP Photo/John Bazemore
Capel, 41, has been on Mike Krzyzewski's staff since 2011 after he was fired by Oklahoma. Capel was 83-69 in five seasons as the head coach of the Sooners and took a Blake Griffin-led OU team to the Elite Eight in 2009. Capel was also the head coach at VCU for four seasons and compiled a 79-41 mark.

Larranaga is the son of Miami coach Jim Larranaga and has been with the Celtics since 2012.

Gregory was fired last week after a 67-86 mark in five seasons with the Yellow Jackets.

Advertisement
Anyone how much longer we will have the honor of having Larranaga Sr. as our coach? In regards to jr I doubt where ever he is when his father retires will trump becoming head coach of miami.

Very possible. He would be a good step in. I still ask the question how long til we legit have to worry about a replacement.

A few things:

First: Coach is 66 years old, he will be 67 in October. I have no idea how much or how long he wants to coach.

Sticking to just basketball, there are a bunch of coaches older and still having success:

1. Steve Fisher at 71 YO,

2. Coach K at 69 YO,

3. Jim Boeheim at 71 YO (he will be stepping down in March 2018), and

4. Larry Brown at 75 YO

So I think there is evidence that a coach can have success, if they're hungry and committed, into the 70s.

Second: His replacement. I am not the biggest fan of simply having an assistant with ZERO experience come in and coach. It would be different if the assistant was an assistant coach in the pros. Just evaluating some of the names in this thread.

Jay Larranaga has actual HC experience. He coached an NBADL team. He has been an assistant in the NBA too and has been linked to some NBA HC gigs. Although he is not my first choice, he would be an interesting name. He is pretty young too. I think this would be a great hire for GT.

Chris Caputo, short answer NO. He is around 36 YO and lacks the necessary experience to take over an ACC program. I know he has been an assistant and associate of Coach L for some time but he has zero HC experience. IMO he needs to get his teeth wet at a lower tiered program. See Coach Konkol or Coach Huger. I wouldn't have Caputo on any replacement list at this point in time.

Advertisement
Very valid points in your post. My true reason for asking if coach L had a timetable was the fact that I believe he could be around another 5-8 years. I don't see him out any sooner which is a blessing. I could see where the worry comes with caputo but also think he's getting a high level education on the job training. I could be wrong with that thought but if there's a more qualified candidate then by all means hire away

Eric Konkol had a pretty darn good year at LA Tech this year. Hopefully he can win their league and get to the tourney a couple times before Coach L retires, then we could poach him back.

Louisiana Tech Bulldogs Basketball 2015-16 Schedule - Bulldogs Home and Away - ESPN

He took over a program that was clearly on the rise. Mike White turned them into a 25 win per season team after Kerry Rupp did nothing. If Konkol can take them or elevate them to the NCAAT and a better program, he would be a good candidate. For now, he is a wait and see candidate IMO.

Very valid points in your post. My true reason for asking if coach L had a timetable was the fact that I believe he could be around another 5-8 years. I don't see him out any sooner which is a blessing. I could see where the worry comes with caputo but also think he's getting a high level education on the job training. I could be wrong with that thought but if there's a more qualified candidate then by all means hire away

1. IMO, if coach Caputo wants to be HC at the U, he needs to leave and get HC experience. I don't want him even if he is the associate HC for the next 5-8 years. We can do better.

2. I rather have Coach L and lose Caputo. Caputo is a good assistant, he can be replaced. I don't sweat him leaving either. Maybe he leaves this off-season.

3. When Coach L retires you can also find a good qualified replacement. Then again it was a miracle we have Coach L and we may need another at that time. There are plenty of good basketball coaches available. The mid-major are a breeding ground. We just lack the mental capacity in the athletic department to make said hire.

Advertisement
People always assume that he's 100% holding out for a head coaching job in the NBA but those aren't exactly handed out routinely to lifelong assistants.

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets reach out to Jeff Capel, Jay Larranaga

Sources: Georgia Tech reaches out to Jeff Capel, Jay Larranaga

Jeff Goodman
ESPN Insider

Georgia Tech has reached out to both Duke assistant coach Jeff Capel and Boston Celtics assistant Jay Larranaga, but remains in the initial stages to replace Brian Gregory, multiple sources told ESPN.

Capel has yet to be interviewed by Georgia Tech athletic director Mike Bobinski, sources told ESPN.

Georgia Tech has reached out to Duke assistant Jeff Capel, according to sources, as part of its search for a new head coach. AP Photo/John Bazemore
Capel, 41, has been on Mike Krzyzewski's staff since 2011 after he was fired by Oklahoma. Capel was 83-69 in five seasons as the head coach of the Sooners and took a Blake Griffin-led OU team to the Elite Eight in 2009. Capel was also the head coach at VCU for four seasons and compiled a 79-41 mark.

Larranaga is the son of Miami coach Jim Larranaga and has been with the Celtics since 2012.

Gregory was fired last week after a 67-86 mark in five seasons with the Yellow Jackets.

I'm not saying Jay wouldn't be interested, but I'm also not sure I would use the phrase "heir apparent."
While I have no doubt the loyalty he has for his dad, completely different scenario.

Sure, I would love to think of UM's basketball head coaching position as top echelon, and maybe Jim gets us there...but not at this point. I guess as long as the program is willing to spend for a true replacement, we will be fine.

UM

Boston could've hired him after Doc left but they went with Brad Stevens.

Obviously Brad Stevens is one of the best coaches on the planet, but the fact is he was passed over. And three years later, he's still an assistant there. That raises some questions from me.

Boston could've hired him after Doc left but they went with Brad Stevens.

Obviously Brad Stevens is one of the best coaches on the planet, but the fact is he was passed over. And three years later, he's still an assistant there. That raises some questions from me.

Or maybe Brad Stevens was a better candidate? Is this a serious post?

Advertisement
David Fizdale is a guy who I think is going to make a great head coach in the NBA or in College. He'll probably land a head coaching job by the time L retires, though

Advertisement
Back