For those old-timers like me who begin following College Hoops when Miami didn't have a program for 14 seasons ...

Hold My Beer

CANE up in heah
Premium
... do you still keep up with/root for teams who you liked from the early 70's to the mid-80's?

I became a hardcore College Basketball fan from watching the original Big East starting around 1980. Didn't really have a favorite team per se, just loved the style of ball and all those amazing players like Ewing, Michael Graham, Pearl Washington, Tony "Red" Bruin, Walter Berry, Chris Mullen, Ed Pinckney and so on. ESPN was just getting going then and the USA Network carried a lot of games, too, IIRC.

Man, loved that ****.

Still like seeing BE teams do well in the NCAA Tournament unless they're playing the Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Kinda like Marlins Park the other night. USA-Venezuela game. Made me a little sick to my stomach!

In the early 90's, it used to **** me off when our own students would wear Syracuse and Villanova jerseys to our home games.
The only reason for students to go to those games was to see the other Big East teams because our team was so bad. I went to several.

I grew up in the DC area when Big East basketball was king, and I still low key root for Georgetown.

Syracuse, Gtown, UNC, Houston, lot of teams I liked growing up. More about individual players I liked than teams back then. I was always playing sports didn't watch many.

Advertisement
The only reason for students to go to those games was to see the other Big East teams because our team was so bad. I went to several.

I grew up in the DC area when Big East basketball was king, and I still low key root for Georgetown.

Nah, you still root for the school you attend. If you like Syracuse that much, go to Syracuse.

Admittedly, I’ve never been a basketball fan. Wasn’t a popular sport at all when I was growing up in the 305 in the 60’s and 70’s . Football, baseball, and wrestling in that order.

When the BB program was shut down, it wasn’t a blip on my radar. When it returned, it still wasn’t. As the tournament became more and more popular, I began to watch more BB games. Didn’t get many Miami games the last 20 years or so until the ACC network started up.

Been a Cane since 1967 and have never had another “favorite”. Won’t change any Tim soon.

Last edited:
Advertisement

When I was an undergrad, we'd always have some jackasses wearing Duke and Maryland jerseys in the student section. F that noise, I made it a point to talk ish to those people. I'll never get how you can cheer against your own classmates, people you see on campus. I was friends with some guys on the team back then, and they would all say "People think we don't notice crap like that, but we do and it's bulls**t"

I was in medical school when they brought basketball back. Loved going to those games and still think that one of the biggest mistakes a player ever made was when Tito Horford left early. He was so not ready for the NBA.

Advertisement
Georgetown was the first Basketball team I ever watched & liked as a kid, so in the early 90’s I was a GTown fan.

I started watching Canes BBall around the same time I started watching Canes FBall, in 94-95.

... do you still keep up with/root for teams who you liked from the early 70's to the mid-80's?

I became a hardcore College Basketball fan from watching the original Big East starting around 1980. Didn't really have a favorite team per se, just loved the style of ball and all those amazing players like Ewing, Michael Graham, Pearl Washington, Tony "Red" Bruin, Walter Berry, Chris Mullen, Ed Pinckney and so on. ESPN was just getting going then and the USA Network carried a lot of games, too, IIRC.

Man, loved that ****.

Still like seeing BE teams do well in the NCAA Tournament unless they're playing the Canes

Before enrolling at Miami in 1986 (Year 2 of the Return of Basketball), my Catholicism inspired me to root for Georgetown. That's the only other school I rooted for.

I grew up in Orlando, so UCF hadn't really made any progress, they were called FTU (Florida Tech) when I was growing up. Stetson had a team, I didn't care. USF had a team (and an on-campus arena, I saw a bunch of concerts in Tampa, @SWFLHurricane can back me up on that).

Advertisement
Back