Off-Topic Exploding pagers..................

TpaBayFlyFisher

World Class Angler
Premium
Let me start by saying, who still uses pagers? In any event, given that "someone" carried off a broad attack on an enemy through exploding devices, is anyone here concerned that your iPhone may just be configured to do the same? Don't say, "I trust Apple." After all it has already been exposed for helping the US government investigate everyday people. What about Droids? Who has access to any brand of phone? Now everything is in doubt.............

Advertisement
Let me start by saying, who still uses pagers? In any event, given that "someone" carried off a broad attack on an enemy through exploding devices, is anyone here concerned that your iPhone may just be configured to do the same? Don't say, "I trust Apple." After all it has already been exposed for helping the US government investigate everyday people. What about Droids? Who has access to any brand of phone? Now everything is in doubt.............

You are really asking two separate questions; the first is, are your smart phones a security risk? Ask your T&E and Corporate guys, the answer is yes, if someone wants to track you, listen in to you, etc., they can. So turn it off when you are banging your secretary!!!

The second question is can ours be blown up too - a little above my pay grade, but I assume yes, and thats concerning because most are made overseas.

You are really asking two separate questions; the first is, are your smart phones a security risk? Ask your T&E and Corporate guys, the answer is yes, if someone wants to track you, listen in to you, etc., they can. So turn it off when you are banging your secretary!!!

The second question is can ours be blown up too - a little above my pay grade, but I assume yes, and thats concerning because most are made overseas.
i think the answer to the second question is that your phone can overheat and set on fire, but cannot explode unless it has been tampered with. so really comes down to what controls are in place within sophisticated supply chains. it is unsettling to know the oversight is likely not where it needs to be to prevent a copycat attack.

i think the answer to the second question is that your phone can overheat and set on fire, but cannot explode unless it has been tampered with. so really comes down to what controls are in place within sophisticated supply chains. it is unsettling to know the oversight is likely not where it needs to be to prevent a copycat attack.

I would be curious to know at what stage in the process explosive material was inserted into the devices. My guess is it would happen after the manufacturing process, with the phones being intercepted during the distribution/delivery process, disassembled, explosive material inserted, reassembled, and then delivery completed. That would seem like a weak point for oversight, as the devices would be changing hands from one company (manufacturer) to another (deliverer), and potentially minimizing collateral damage (as compared to inserting the explosive material at the manufacturing facility) and maximizing the number of devices getting into the hands of any targets.

Advertisement
I would be curious to know at what stage in the process explosive material was inserted into the devices. My guess is it would happen after the manufacturing process, with the phones being intercepted during the distribution/delivery process, disassembled, explosive material inserted, reassembled, and then delivery completed. That would seem like a weak point for oversight, as the devices would be changing hands from one company (manufacturer) to another (deliverer), and potentially minimizing collateral damage (as compared to inserting the explosive material at the manufacturing facility) and maximizing the number of devices getting into the hands of any targets.

Plausible, but since I-phones are made in China, and say they were planning on invading Taiwan, would you feel comfortable with your I-phone security?

Advertisement
Related thought: If the next time I order a new phone I ask that it be weighed and compared to the manufacturer's listed weight at the store to protect against the possibility hazardous materials have been planted in the phone before I take possession, would that be a reasonable request?

On Monday I'd have said it's an absurd request. Today, not so much...

Related thought: If the next time I order a new phone I ask that it be weighed and compared to the manufacturer's listed weight at the store to protect against the possibility hazardous materials have been planted in the phone before I take possession, would that be a reasonable request?

On Monday I'd have said it's an absurd request. Today, not so much...

Great idea, but dont most of us get phones via mail? You would also need a very good scale, we are only talking about an ounce difference

Advertisement
Great idea, but dont most of us get phones via mail? You would also need a very good scale, we are only talking about an ounce difference

I'm old school when it comes to the phone... one of the few things I still go to a brick and mortar store to purchase.

And another bonus for Samsung! Their phone weights are listed in grams. Get those food* grade scales ready!

*Edited to "food grade". Apparently scales accurate to .1 gram are not that expensive.

A food scale would work. They sell them at Linens-n-Things Bed, Bath & Beyond Amazon.

Advertisement
Considering a prerequisite for joining CIS is you must be a doctor, we obviously all have one, Doctor.

Considering a prerequisite for joining CIS is you must be a doctor, we obviously all have one, Doctor.
Doctor Surgery GIF

Advertisement
Back