Do you think we redshirt Lykes?

Advertisement
If I recall from football, one could play 4 games and still redshirt. Wonder how many games (if any) one could play in basketball and still redshirt. Everything so crazy with these COVID auto-waivers...

...so sorry have no answer, but I for one would like to see him play in the ACC tourney, presuming his ankle is finally fully functional by then. This current team, although full of drama and mishap and badness, can also be "on" (as per Louisville.) I would love to see Lykes give the ACC tourney a GO in case we are ALL ON, and not lose a year just for that. I don't see a shoe-in to win that ACC tourney (and auto-Dance-invite.) Why not us?

I think NCAA will do like football, where players can probably end up with this being a free year of eligibility.

I think NCAA will do like football, where players can probably end up with this being a free year of eligibility.
Agree with this. Would be great to have him another season. I do believe this is a "free" year, because it is affecting scholarship numbers and offers for high schooler players for next year.

Lykes and all the other seniors have the option to come back for another year I believe (just like McCloud, King, Harley, and others are doing in football), so a redshirt isn't necessary.

Advertisement
Lykes and all the other seniors have the option to come back for another year I believe (just like McCloud, King, Harley, and others are doing in football), so a redshirt isn't necessary.
Correct, they all have an extra year if they want it. I doubt Chris will take them up on it though, he should have plenty of pro opportunities overseas.

Actually, just watch this video:

TL;DR:
Hereton - gone
Olaniyi - probably coming back
Gak - graduating and leaving (that surprised me)
Rodney - Plan was to get his masters and leave. After the injury, its up in the air because they're not sure about his knee
Brooks - Graduating, up to him if he wants to come back. Brooks is apparently thinking about starting a cooking business, but might have pro opportunities
McGusty - graduating, likely going pro, but has the option to come back
Lykes - Up in the air
Waardenburg - Could go pro in Australia/New Zealand, could stay in school - L said he's encouraging him to come back since he's young for his class (Sam is a year and a half older than Timberlake).

Last edited:
Actually, just watch this video:

TL;DR:
Hereton - gone
Olaniyi - probably coming back
Gak - graduating and leaving (that surprised me)
Rodney - Plan was to get his masters and leave. After the injury, its up in the air because they're not sure about his knee
Brooks - Graduating, up to him if he wants to come back. Brooks is apparently thinking about starting a cooking business, but might have pro opportunities
McGusty - graduating, likely going pro, but has the option to come back
Lykes - Up in the air
Waardenburg - Could go pro in Australia/New Zealand, could stay in school - L said he's encouraging him to come back since he's young for his class (Sam is a year and a half older than Timberlake).

Nice video. Answers a lot of questions. Disappointing that this season was destroyed by injuries. It could have been a good one.

The roster does not look stacked next year.

Advertisement
Ignoring what you call it "waiver" or "redshirt", you'd take back Lykes if he wants to come back. You don't think about it at all.

I am updating I post I made a couple of weeks ago. Also, I don't know if the NCAA will make a special rule or exception. For example, we're allowed 13 total scholarships for basketball. Perhaps because of COVID, they will allow a one time exception for players who would have graduated/matured but are staying. That doesn't mean they will allow EVERYONE to stay but maybe a 1 scholarship exception for a player that fits this criteria.

1. As for current numbers, we have 10 scholarships currently for next year:

Robinson, Poplar, Joseph, Bev, Wong, Cross, Gak, Timberlake, Sam W and Walker

2. Then you have players, who you would take back because of the special exemption, if they wanted an extra year:

Lykes, Olaniyi, Kam and Brooks

Of those players, I doubt Brooks comes back as he is 24. I have to imagine that Olaniyi, since he was not expected to play this year will be given the option to come back, especially with COVID. I would be fine with that, especially for quality depth. Lykes is the wild card. You take him back but he may not want to come back. Maybe he wants another year, maybe he wants to go pro (e.g. Europe). Kam is a good quality player too. With that said, we're way too guard heavy (as usual) and not enough big men. At most you can take 2 guards from this group because we really have positions of need.

My guess is 1-2 of these 4 come back. That brings us to 11-12 scholarships.

3. Typically someone will transfer or get thrown out of school, that is a -1. That brings us to 10-11

4. We need quality big men. If Brooks leaves, which he probably will, then we need an immediate quality player. I would take two but I have doubts we will get two.

Bottom line: Fill the class. Bring in quality big men.

Advertisement
Back