Defensive Front 7 Packages/Rotation vs UF

DiegoCane

All-ACC
Not sure if this is particularly interesting or been posted but I thought it had some what interesting to see how the actual depth chart played out. As far as I could tell, no one else in the front 7 played besides the guys listed below.

Base 3-4: Entire game, except specialty situations, the front 7 was in the 3-4

Chick, Porter/Renfrow, Pierre/LRob

Armbrister/Figs, Gaines/Cain, Perryman/Cornileus, Green/Gilbert

Nickel: 3rd and long/pass rush situations

AQM, Chick, LRob, McCord

Cornileus, Perryman

Short Yardage:

Renfrow, Porter, Pierre

Cain, Gaines, Perryman, Green

Few Thoughts:
1. In the last 3 years I'm not sure there is another DL that has played more snaps then Chick. He never subbed out except in short yardage situations. Golden said today that he played 71 snaps which is insane. Even more so because he was effective on almost every one. He has really stepped up and had a great game.
2. Green is a little clunky (not sure how to put it) when he drops in coverage but was **** good against the run.
3. Interesting that Cain was the primary backup for Gaines, also he plays OLB on short yardage.
4. Twice in pass rush situations, Perryman was sent on a blitz and LRob dropped in coverage.
5. Forgot this initially but Cornileus played really good, both in run and pass situations.

Nothing earth shattering in the above information but thought it was interesting to see how the actual depth chart played out.

Few other non-defensive thoughts from the rewatch
1. Its always hard to tell who is open on a TV broadcast but I didn't see WRs getting any separation. That said, Walford was open more then a few times that Morris should have taken advantage of.
2. If you get a chance to rewatch the game, take a look at the running play were Duke got hurt. That easily could have been a TD. When Duke breaks through he had 2 DBs to beat, Lewis whiffed on the 1st guy, Waters whiffed on the 2nd. Need to make those blocks in big games.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Driskel missed matchups. There was one play where he had Shayon Green covering a wideout and he didn't see it.

Not sure if this is particularly interesting or been posted but I thought it had some what interesting to see how the actual depth chart played out. As far as I could tell, no one else in the front 7 played besides the guys listed below.

Base 3-4: Entire game, except specialty situations, the front 7 was in the 3-4

Chick, Porter/Renfrow, Pierre/LRob

Armbrister/Figs, Gaines/Cain, Perryman/Cornileus, Green/Gilbert

Nickel: 3rd and long/pass rush situations

AQM, Chick, LRob, McCord

Cornileus, Perryman

Short Yardage:

Renfrow, Porter, Pierre

Cain, Gaines, Perryman, Green

Few Thoughts:
1. In the last 3 years I'm not sure there is another DL that has played more snaps then Chick. He never subbed out except in short yardage situations. Golden said today that he played 71 snaps which is insane. Even more so because he was effective on almost every one. He has really stepped up and had a great game.
2. Green is a little clunky (not sure how to put it) when he drops in coverage but was **** good against the run.
3. Interesting that Cain was the primary backup for Gaines, also he plays OLB on short yardage.
4. Twice in pass rush situations, Perryman was sent on a blitz and LRob dropped in coverage.

Nothing earth shattering in the above information but thought it was interesting to see how the actual depth chart played out.

Few other non-defensive thoughts from the rewatch
1. Its always hard to tell who is open on a TV broadcast but I didn't see WRs getting any separation. That said, Walford was open more then a few times that Morris should have taken advantage of.
2. If you get a chance to rewatch the game, take a look at the running play were Duke got hurt. That easily could have been a TD. When Duke breaks through he had 2 DBs to beat, Lewis whiffed on the 1st guy, Waters whiffed on the 2nd. Need to make those blocks in big games.

Good stuff. Big fan of the 3-4.

Great Post. One thing im surprised you didnt add is the fact that there were mostly JRs and SRs in that rotation. In the Base 3-4 everybody has at least 3 years in the/a program except Figs.(Who technically isnt a true Freshmen.) As well as the Short Yardage package. GROWN MEN. The boys are on the sideline watching. (Hoilett, Moore, King, Hamilton, Kirby, Grace, etc..) They will have their time but this was not a game for the kiddies. AQM and McCord are the exceptions. But im glad we are getting back to those days.

Great Post. One thing im surprised you didnt add is the fact that there were mostly JRs and SRs in that rotation. In the Base 3-4 everybody has at least 3 years in the/a program except Figs.(Who technically isnt a true Freshmen.) As well as the Short Yardage package. GROWN MEN. The boys are on the sideline watching. (Hoilett, Moore, King, Hamilton, Kirby, Grace, etc..) They will have their time but this was not a game for the kiddies. AQM and McCord are the exceptions. But im glad we are getting back to those days.

Some of them young guys just need to rock up a bit in the offseason. Save for maybe AQM who seems like a grown *** man already.

Advertisement

Some of them young guys just need to rock up a bit in the offseason. Save for maybe AQM who seems like a grown *** man already.

Seen him in person. Still has a lot of room for growth. Looks more like a LB at this juncture.

I like Cornelius as a nickel LB. He started off as a safety and has decent coverage skills, obviously showing it on that fantastic pass break up. Our LBs are very talented but coverage has been a weakness so him stepping up has been nice.

Anyone that has been criticizing Chick because he isn't Jadaveon Clowney should be ashamed of themselves.

Seen him in person. Still has a lot of room for growth. Looks more like a LB at this juncture.

****. Thats impressive. Just judging by his pics he looks pretty built already.

Alex probably means in the lower half. There was a picture during camp where I was caught by surprise that he was already 235. His upper body is pretty well developed, but after a year of college-level weightlifting (with deadlifts, squats, etc.) and nutrition, that dude is going to be a ******* 255 pound terror.

Chickillo will be a senior with Chad Thomas as his understudy. Pierre will be a senior with Jelani Hamilton and Kamalu groomed for his position. Perryman may leave, but we have Thurston to slide in and Grace to take over Nickel packages.

That is how you recruit at the University of Miami. (We still need replacements for Porter/Renfro)

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like Cornelius as a nickel LB. He started off as a safety and has decent coverage skills, obviously showing it on that fantastic pass break up. Our LBs are very talented but coverage has been a weakness so him stepping up has been nice.

Anyone that has been criticizing Chick because he isn't Jadaveon Clowney should be ashamed of themselves.

I'd just like to point out that there's a difference between criticizing Chick for not being Clowney and stating that Chick shouldn't be compared to Clowney because they're such different players. I know what you're trying to say, but there were a lot of people seeing Chick as an 8-10 sack kinda guy, and I just don't think that's his game. He sets the edge, plays hard and does his job. Great player to have on any team.

I'd just like to point out that there's a difference between criticizing Chick for not being Clowney and stating that Chick shouldn't be compared to Clowney because they're such different players. I know what you're trying to say, but there were a lot of people seeing Chick as an 8-10 sack kinda guy, and I just don't think that's his game. He sets the edge, plays hard and does his job. Great player to have on any team.

Yup. I didn't elaborate on it because its obvious to most, but thanks for clearing up my point.

Alex probably means in the lower half. There was a picture during camp where I was caught by surprise that he was already 235. His upper body is pretty well developed, but after a year of college-level weightlifting (with deadlifts, squats, etc.) and nutrition, that dude is going to be a ******* 255 pound terror.

Chickillo will be a senior with Chad Thomas as his understudy. Pierre will be a senior with Jelani Hamilton and Kamalu groomed for his position. Perryman may leave, but we have Thurston to slide in and Grace to take over Nickel packages.

That is how you recruit at the University of Miami. (We still need replacements for Porter/Renfro)

He's muscular, but he's still skinny. Very lanky, long kid. Is going to be an impressive specimen once he leaves campus.

We obviously need to fill the Porter/Renfrow and Green/Gilbert spot for 2014. I would think McCord and AQM are prime candidates but the Green/Gilbert spot but at the moment the NT spot is a little scary. Can Stuckey fill that role? Can Moore give us productive snaps at that position?

Chick/Kamalu or Hamilton, Stuckey/Moore/????, Pierre/Kamalu or Hamilton

Also, if Perryman does leave early we will have some question marks at LB as well. We may need to bring in a JUCO LB.

Armbrister/Figs, Kirby/Blue, Figs or Grace, McCord/AQM

Advertisement
We obviously need to fill the Porter/Renfrow and Green/Gilbert spot for 2014. I would think McCord and AQM are prime candidates but the Green/Gilbert spot but at the moment the NT spot is a little scary. Can Stuckey fill that role? Can Moore give us productive snaps at that position?

Also, if Perryman does leave early we will have some question marks at LB as well. We may need to bring in a JUCO LB.

Al May have to go to the waiver wire again for a NT.

Al May have to go to the waiver wire again for a NT.

Agree, if there is one out there. That's why I say another JUCO DT is a must. Spot is pretty scary and might be the most important on the defense. Porter/Renfrow have played really well this year so far. The next few weeks Moore and King will have a chance to prove they can play some quality snaps at that spot.

Advertisement
It was kind of bizarre, as a long time Cane, watching us play out of a base 3-4 after seeing the 4-3 man cover 2 for so long. But, I liked the way we played out of it. It gives us a lot of versatility from this point forward because in passing situations you can always have those 3-4 OLBs put their hand in the ground. Its kind of refreshing and I'm excited to see this moving forward.

He's muscular, but he's still skinny. Very lanky, long kid. Is going to be an impressive specimen once he leaves campus.

No doubt. Not sure if you saw him a year ago but he has already come a long way

It was kind of bizarre, as a long time Cane, watching us play out of a base 3-4 after seeing the 4-3 man cover 2 for so long. But, I liked the way we played out of it. It gives us a lot of versatility from this point forward because in passing situations you can always have those 3-4 OLBs put their hand in the ground. Its kind of refreshing and I'm excited to see this moving forward.

Agree, the only thing that scared me was seeing S. Green in coverage. If we can limit that I will be much happier with that look.

Talent wise Clowney is very impressive.
If you graded 1 to 10 Clowney is probably a 9.5 talent wise and Chick is more like 7-7.5.
Everything else like heart, effort, conditioning, leadership Chick is a 9-9.5 whereas Clowney looks to be a 5.

Personally I'd rather take Chick going all out every one of his 71 plays over Clowney going balls to the wall for his 5-10 plays a game.
I've seen Clowney 2 times this year and except for maybe 3-4 plays a game he is not impressive.
Looks like a guy playing not to get hurt, trying to make one outstanding play a game, then coasting the rest of the way.

Chickillo looks like a guy who is willing to die on the field if it helps his team to succeed.

Advertisement
Back