David Thompson article in Miami Herald

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
David Thompson’s first word, circa summer of 1994: “Ball.”

“Not mama. Not dada,” said Jenn Thompson, his mother. “He didn’t like trucks, didn’t like books. He wanted a ball in his hand — always.”

If he just would have been kind enough to specify “football” or “baseball,” maybe the little guy could have made it easier on himself in the long run. Then again, Thompson, now 18 and a 6-1, 205-pound senior with a 4.2 grade-point average at Miami Westminster Christian, never much cared about “easy.”
The deeper the center-field fence, the more enticing. The thicker the blitz, the more exhilarating.

Thompson, who signed a letter of intent Feb. 1 to play football at Miami as the Hurricanes’ fifth scholarship quarterback, already has the state’s career and single-season home run records — and will also play UM baseball. That is, if he actually makes it to Coral Gables after Major League Baseball’s amateur draft June 4-6.

For the moment, the lifelong Hurricanes fan and his parents insist his future points to college.
“Being a Miami Hurricane is the only thing set in stone, and that’s what I’m planning to do,’’ Thompson said. “I’ll arrive at UM on May 16 for Summer Session I.”

Thompson’s dad, Ed, the grandson of a former missionary in Cuba and the son of a man who started a ministry for Latin American pastors to get bible training, said he and his wife feel likewise.

“That would certainly be his mother’s and my wish,” said Ed Thompson, who took over his late father’s ministry. “Dave will have to make his own decision, but we just think there’s plenty of time to grow up, and these types of opportunities don’t come around that often.”

Baseball America ranks Thompson, a third baseman who also could play outfield, as the No. 69 high school draft prospect. He projects to be drafted in the first five rounds, though he could go lower, especially if teams are convinced he’ll choose college.

“When scouts look for a third-base prospect, they want a guy who has power and a strong arm,” said Baseball America assistant editor Conor Glassey, who watched Thompson compete last summer. “Thompson has both.”

UM baseball coach Jim Morris said he believes strongly that Thompson will arrive in May. A new collective bargaining agreement in Major League Baseball will make it tougher for teams to purposely draft players lower than they might normally go, then offer them huge signing bonuses.

‘MATURE FOR HIS AGE’

“He’s got a game plan, and I think he’ll follow it,” Morris said this week, just minutes after speaking to UM football coach Al Golden about the partnership. “He’s very mature for his age, has a great family and seems to have good direction.”

Added Morris: “David Thompson can hit. And when a guy can hit, you find a place for him.”
Thompson can throw, too. The two-time defending Miami Herald Class 4A-1A Boys’ Athlete of the Year, Thompson has significant arm strength and accuracy. He completed 132 of 203 attempts last season for 2,055 yards and 20 touchdowns, with five interceptions — and ran for 382 yards and 11 touchdowns.
Thompson ranks third in Miami-Dade County in career yardage (passing and rushing) with 8,301.
His baseball résumé is considered even more impressive. Thompson is the state’s career home run record holder, with 47, surpassing Prince Fielder’s 42. The third baseman likely will add to that record in his upcoming senior season, which begins next week.

Last year, Thompson hit .553, with 18 home runs and 50 RBI, then played on national TV at Wrigley Field as an Under-Armour All-American. As a sophomore, he led Westminster to its second consecutive Class 2A state championship, and in doing so, became the county’s all-time home-run king with 19 — tied with Miramar Florida Bible’s Frankie Figueroa (1996), Merritt Island’s Tommy Parrott (1999) and Tampa Catholic’s Donnie Scott (1978).

The last UM quarterback to also play baseball was pitcher T.J. Prunty, who quit football after his redshirt freshman season in 2000 to concentrate solely on baseball. He was drafted in the 21st round in 2002 by the Minnesota Twins but never made it to the majors.

New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, also a former Westminster Christian quarterback, spurned UM at the last second to enter pro ball but later gave $3.4 million to renovate Mark Light Field, now known as Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Morris described the potential situation for Thompson as “very simple. In the fall he’ll be all football, and in the spring he’ll be all baseball. You have to be a unique athlete to overcome that on both sides.”

BATTING PRACTICE

Most believe that Thompson’s future lies in baseball. His mother said she spent countless hours pitching David “thousands of golf-sized whiffle balls and garbanzo beans” for him to hit with a stickball bat to improve his hand-eye coordination. “I have been pelted with chick peas.”

Thompson, who has gone on mission trips to Bolivia and Cuba, is extremely religious. And, yes, at least locally, he has been compared to Tim Tebow.

“I take that as a great compliment,” he said, “but I have a long way to go.”

Said Thompson’s closest friend, former Westminster receiver Danny Reyes: “David is honestly the best kid I know. The things I’ve seen him do out of the kindness of his heart is incredible. He doesn’t fit the social prototype of a jock. He’s friends with all kinds of kids. I’ve never heard him say a cuss word, and in high school, that’s tough to find.”

Thompson hopes to wear his high school No. 8 next season in football, the number vacated by receiver Tommy Streeter. In baseball, infielder Michael Broad, who could go in the draft after this season, wears No. 8.

“I know it’s going to be super tough to play both sports, the biggest challenge I’ve had in my life,” Thompson said. “But Coach Golden and Morris are amazing coaches, and they’re already working things out. I want to play for both of them. It’s awesome they’re both on my side trying to make it a great experience.”

Advertisement
Ok so David and Gray both have GPA's over 4.0. I am guessing Presten is pretty smart as well. Does this indicate a shift and what Miami looks for in a QB? Great article, I think he could be the best QB out of the class for us. Was it really 1994 when he spoke his first word? gez

hes probably the best athlete of all our QBs......but i cant see him turning down MLB money to stay in college

hes projected as a top 10 pick in the MLB draft in june

Advertisement
Advertisement
Awesome get, seems like a great son and athlete and student.

We'll see what happens.

Competition is good.

If he goes baseball, we have another scholarship. Win, win.

hes probably the best athlete of all our QBs......but i cant see him turning down MLB money to stay in college

hes projected as a top 10 pick in the MLB draft in june

No he isn't. Most places see him as a first rounder but there are well respected mocks that don't have him in the first.

I was thinking the same thing. He'll probably go pro, but he could come back if it doesn't work out. That being said, it would be nice to see him become another Arod type donor if he's really successful

Advertisement
I've said this numerous times but I dont think he's as great of a prospect as these boards make him out to be. He's closer to 5'11 than 6'1 and he does not have a great arm. He doesn't really have a position. I dont see him as a surefire first round pick.

Interesting opinions. What do you base them on?

go and play baseball

I don't even know why we offered him

I guess you don't know about the millions of dollars Alex Rodriguez gave Miami for offering him as he got drafted by the MLB just before he came to school.

Advertisement
I've said this numerous times but I dont think he's as great of a prospect as these boards make him out to be. He's closer to 5'11 than 6'1 and he does not have a great arm. He doesn't really have a position. I dont see him as a surefire first round pick.

Interesting opinions. What do you base them on?

Highlights and things I've from people who have seen him play. Kid can swing the bat but he does not have prototypical size. I looked at his game log last year and lot of his production came against some weaker competition. He's a baller but he's not an A Rod type, at least IMO.

But no one claims he's an "A Rod type.". There arent any other ARod typ anyhow. ARod was probaly the best prospect ever, and pretty much proved the hype out.

Advertisement
Back