Cristobol not going to Rutgers..

Advertisement
Source: Rutgers picks Kyle Flood

By Joe Schad
ESPN
Archive

Rutgers assistant Kyle Flood has accepted an offer to become the team's head coach, according to a source.

Earlier Monday, Florida International football coach Mario Cristobal decided not to join Rutgers after receiving an offer.

Rutgers hopes Flood, who was named interim coach after Greg Schiano departed last week to become the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' head coach, will be able to hold together a strong recruiting class for Wednesday's national signing day.

Rutgers Football

An FIU player said that at a team meeting on Monday, Cristobal, a former Rutgers assistant, told players, "I love FIU and this is where I want to be." But Flood, a longtime Rutgers assistant, plans to be introduced as head coach once his contract is finalized. Flood has the support of many New Jersey high school coaches, as Schiano did when he was hired.

Flood was promoted to interim coach last week and interviewed for the job over the weekend. He has been a member of Schiano's staff since 2005, working his way up to assistant head coach in 2008.

"I've been working 19 years for this day," Flood told reporters Saturday after meeting with recruits on campus. "I'm as ready as I'm ever going to be."

Schiano surprised Rutgers when he took the Tampa Bay job. He had previously turned down Miami and Michigan to stay at the school, where he served as coach for 11 years.

National signing day is Wednesday, and the timing of Schiano's departure left Rutgers athletic director Tim Pernetti and the coaching staff scrambling.

Rutgers had lined up a potentially highly rated recruiting class before Schiano left. Flood and the rest of the staff were working over the weekend to keep the players who had verbally committed to the Scarlet Knights on board.

"The response from the recruiting class has been just tremendous," Flood told reporters Saturday. "As of right now, everybody that's committed to us from the beginning is still committed to us. We plan on keeping it that way."

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Advertisement
Back