Canes vs. Mark May's stupid face (1/31)

Advertisement
How has Pitt fell off so hard? They were one of the top schools in the old Big East

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Hey the flopping pays off for Lykes but then again, it’s a home game....

Glad to get the win even though we struggled.

The Good:

- Loved seeing Newton on the bench.
- When Lonnie finally realized he is the best player on the court, he dominated and we took control of the game.
- Sam keeps getting better.
- Amp had the double-double and has been playing much better since ACC play began.
- Rebound advantage (39-24).
- FT Shooting 73.9%

The Bad:

- We struggled against an atrocious team.
- 3 Point Shooting (6-27)
- 3 Point D

----------------

Onto VT.

Some MAJOR bricklaying by Canes tonight. Only shot 41%. 6-22 (27%) from behind three point arc. Lucky we were playing Pitt or this was an L.

Advertisement
Offense still looks better when newton is out. We get good shots most times down now. Way different than before

Closing out games with lykes on instead of B.B. and newton. Also an upgrade

Didn't feel like an ACC game for the majority. I'm not sure Pittsburgh wins a league game.

We had no idea what to do against an opponent we actually outmanned in the paint. Countless opportunities were lost and we continued to force threes for no reason.

A few times Waardenburg caught the ball just inside the free throw line with his back to the basket and absolutely nobody around him, but instead of turning aggressively he assumed he was in trouble, as if we were playing a typical ACC opponent with trees about to collapse on him.

Nobody likes Newton. I hear it in the stands and I see it on every forum. I don't mind him. At least he'll risk a drive to the bucket when it's not wide open, unlike virtually anybody else on the roster. Lykes will do it. That's about it.

Granted, Newton lacks the variety once he does penetrate the paint. He leaves his feet without a plan, or resorts to the fade away if he thinks the layup isn't there. That fade away is perfectly available if he merely learned how to use the backboard. There's tons more margin for error with the backboard. High, middle or low depending on the chosen pace. But like most kids of this generation or recently they seem to think the backboard is a weaker choice.

Walker still has that playground mentality on layups. He got away with a couple of handsy spins tonight when the ball happened to hit in the correct spot on the plate to kill it and then plop in the bucket. That's not going to happen often. He needs to learn there's nothing wrong with a fancy approach followed by a standard finish.

It's hard to believe a team doesn't get overconfident entering the game after playing Pittsburgh. Everything works against them..or should. Fortunately this was the first team we played without Bruce Brown. I'm not sure we beat anyone else in the conference playing as we did tonight.

Didn't feel like an ACC game for the majority. I'm not sure Pittsburgh wins a league game.

We had no idea what to do against an opponent we actually outmanned in the paint. Countless opportunities were lost and we continued to force threes for no reason.

A few times Waardenburg caught the ball just inside the free throw line with his back to the basket and absolutely nobody around him, but instead of turning aggressively he assumed he was in trouble, as if we were playing a typical ACC opponent with trees about to collapse on him.

Nobody likes Newton. I hear it in the stands and I see it on every forum. I don't mind him. At least he'll risk a drive to the bucket when it's not wide open, unlike virtually anybody else on the roster. Lykes will do it. That's about it.

Granted, Newton lacks the variety once he does penetrate the paint. He leaves his feet without a plan, or resorts to the fade away if he thinks the layup isn't there. That fade away is perfectly available if he merely learned how to use the backboard. There's tons more margin for error with the backboard. High, middle or low depending on the chosen pace. But like most kids of this generation or recently they seem to think the backboard is a weaker choice.

Walker still has that playground mentality on layups. He got away with a couple of handsy spins tonight when the ball happened to hit in the correct spot on the plate to kill it and then plop in the bucket. That's not going to happen often. He needs to learn there's nothing wrong with a fancy approach followed by a standard finish.

It's hard to believe a team doesn't get overconfident entering the game after playing Pittsburgh. Everything works against them..or should. Fortunately this was the first team we played without Bruce Brown. I'm not sure we beat anyone else in the conference playing as we did tonight.

If you watch his high school videos you'll see he's really ******* good at that stuff. I've watched videos of him as a freshman in hs doing insane things and just dominating. It's ridiculous the number of moves I've seen him do in videos previously that he hasn't shown yet.

Newton has that Donovan McNabb vacant stare going on.

McNabb-Blank-Stare_GIF.gif

Advertisement
Newton has that Donovan McNabb vacant stare going on.

McNabb-Blank-Stare_GIF.gif

I know exactly what you’re talking about. I’m trying to find a replay of the game now so I can SC it. It was with like 1:30 left in the game. He had that same look that some guys on the football team like DJ Johnson would have after we made a big play on defense....

Just watched the replay.

The bad:

Pitt. They are just. Bad. Stallings should have never left Vandy.

A few ugly stretches of basketball: most notably the 2nd half sequence involving Quan's technical, Stevenson's walking by Izundu for the easy bucket and Amp's subsequent quick 3 attempt; Pitt goes on to take the lead 44-43.

3 point shooting (27.3%)

The good:

Us: 23. Them: 3 FTAs.
13 to 4 Offensive Rebounds
IV deflating their 2nd half run. His facial expression: my team.
Assist to TO ratio: 15 to 8

Bring on VT.

Last edited:
What was Waardenburg's game supposed to be when we recruited him? Thought I'd read back then that, though he's tall, he was your typical Euro/Aussie perimeter player. Now, he's playing down low (and looking uncomfortable -- coulda been called for another couple walks in the Pitt game). Am I mistaken or is Coach L trying to change his game?

Advertisement
What was Waardenburg's game supposed to be when we recruited him? Thought I'd read back then that, though he's tall, he was your typical Euro/Aussie perimeter player. Now, he's playing down low (and looking uncomfortable -- coulda been called for another couple walks in the Pitt game). Am I mistaken or is Coach L trying to change his game?

Could be a long term thing to make him an inside and outside player.

When he was recruited all his tapes and notes where showing him as a stretch 4.

Offense still looks better when newton is out. We get good shots most times down now. Way different than before

Closing out games with lykes on instead of B.B. and newton. Also an upgrade

Advertisement
Back