Canes to practice at George Mason next week

miamilaw07

Redshirt Freshman
Coach L reached out to Mason who was gracious enough to make some court time available for the Canes to practice on campus next week, so the Canes are going to stay in Virginia following the game at VT on Saturday.

Coincidentally it is also the 10th anniversary of Mason's Final 4, which was earned with a win over Uconn in the Verizon Center, where the ACC tournament is being held next weekend (Mason's Campus is in Fairfax, VA about 20 mins outside DC without traffic, 1.5 hours with).

If any of you are interested in learning more about the history of Mason's Final 4 run (since a lot of the staff is now at Miami), here are links to two great recent write ups:

Mason Men - CBSSports.com

Mason Madness: Inside the most unlikely run in NCAA Tournament history | The Washington Post

I'm from Virginia but grew up a Miami fan because my older brother went there, then went to Mason for undergrad and Miami for law school. I lived in Miami during the final 4 run and flew to all the games, nearly failing a class due to absences and almost having to spend an extra semester in law school. Being there for those 4 wins though was worth it!

Advertisement
Cue the guy who will complain about Coach L going back to George Mason like he complained about CMR going back to UGA for a night...

Coach L reached out to Mason who was gracious enough to make some court time available for the Canes to practice on campus next week, so the Canes are going to stay in Virginia following the game at VT on Saturday.

Coincidentally it is also the 10th anniversary of Mason's Final 4, which was earned with a win over Uconn in the Verizon Center, where the ACC tournament is being held next weekend (Mason's Campus is in Fairfax, VA about 20 mins outside DC without traffic, 1.5 hours with).

If any of you are interested in learning more about the history of Mason's Final 4 run (since a lot of the staff is now at Miami), here are links to two great recent write ups:

Mason Madness: Inside the most unlikely run in NCAA Tournament history | The Washington Post

I'm from Virginia but grew up a Miami fan because my older brother went there, then went to Mason for undergrad and Miami for law school. I lived in Miami during the final 4 run and flew to all the games, nearly failing a class due to absences and almost having to spend an extra semester in law school. Being there for those 4 wins though was worth it!

Good stuff MiamiLaw.
I live in Maryland, near DC and I remember how this area buzzed with Mason's Final Four run.
It was amazing.
Lots of folks who follow college hoops in this area still can't believe we nabbed Coach Larranaga.

Think we might be able to go see a practice? Wonder if Coach L would have an open session to the public at GMU.

Think we might be able to go see a practice? Wonder if Coach L would have an open session to the public at GMU.

Word is all of the practices are closed at Mason. I live a mile from campus and know a bunch of people in the Mason AD, hopefully I can wiggle my way in there.

I'm currently trying to set something up with the DC Canes and the team (maybe a meet and greet at the hotel or something), I'll post on here if we get anything set up.

Advertisement

Good stuff MiamiLaw.
I live in Maryland, near DC and I remember how this area buzzed with Mason's Final Four run.
It was amazing.
Lots of folks who follow college hoops in this area still can't believe we nabbed Coach Larranaga.

I don't think we nabbed him, as the story goes he sent his wikepedia bio to the U seeking the job. Coach L is the bomb.

Good stuff MiamiLaw.
It was amazing.

I don't think we nabbed him, as the story goes he sent his wikepedia bio to the U seeking the job. Coach L is the bomb.

Miami reached out to Coach L and it all happened rather quickly and somewhat unexpectedly. Had Mason's former AD been willing to match what Shaka Smart and his assistants were making at VCU at the time (particularly the assistants), could be an entirely different story.

We have two coaches that are still apparently beloved by their former schools. Kind of a contrast to your Frank Haiths and such.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back