Best baseball player at Miami

Advertisement
Advertisement
Alex Fernandez was pretty special. Too bad it only lasted a year. Would love to see what he could have done over three years.

Burrell was the best I ever saw. Charlie Johnson was phenomenal also. It amazed me that Johnson batted so poorly in MLB because he was "money" at Miami.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Most of you won't remember Neal Heaton, but he was pretty darn good too.

He was just a few years before my time, but I wondered how good he was in college. In MLB he was a solid guy, but was he dominant on the college level?

Yeah, he was. Big time strikeout guy. We used to sit down in those old wooden bleachers by the Canes bullpen just so we could watch him warm up at close range. I found this bio on the Hall of Fame site:

Popularly called "The Heater", Neal Heaton pitched from 1979 to 1981 and holds almost all of UM's pitching records, including most victories in a season (18), most victories in a career (42), most strikeouts in a game (23), most strikeouts in a season (172) and most strikeouts in a career (381).

In three years, Neal was twice named an All-American and in 1981 was selected by the Cleveland Indians in the draft. He made the big club after just one year in the minors. Heaton is the first Hurricane to be named to a major league all-star game. Neal was signed to pitch for the New York Yankees in 1993. His jersey #26 has been retired at Miami.

Advertisement
Back