Been enjoying our men's basketball

fraggle

Senile Senior
yet should I see us as a good team that lost quite a few close games but we also won quite a few close games so are we lucky or good? Either way they are fun to watch. Tournament time will tell, I wish them success and whether it be good or lucky, GO CANES!

Advertisement
yet should I see us as a good team that lost quite a few close games but we also won quite a few close games so are we lucky or good? Either way they are fun to watch. Tournament time will tell, I wish them success and whether it be good or lucky, GO CANES!
University Of Miami Canes GIF by Miami Hurricanes

They have been fun to watch. Even attended a couple of games this year. Something that I have not done in ages.

This team is what it is. Our offense is pretty good. Our defense, is not. When we scramble and force TO’s, it masks how truly bad we are on that end. Assuming we don’t win the ACCT, we will have(by far) the worst adjusted defensive rating of any at large team that makes the tournament. We’re not super talented, we don’t have a big man, and we have almost zero depth. But, we’re experienced, and our guard play has been very good. It’s been a fun year, especially given my expectations at the beginning of the year.

Advertisement
This team is what it is. Our offense is pretty good. Our defense, is not. When we scramble and force TO’s, it masks how truly bad we are on that end. Assuming we don’t win the ACCT, we will have(by far) the worst adjusted defensive rating of any at large team that makes the tournament. We’re not super talented, we don’t have a big man, and we have almost zero depth. But, we’re experienced, and our guard play has been very good. It’s been a fun year, especially given my expectations at the beginning of the year.

This pretty much hits it on the head. We can't rebound, we can't defend the rim, and we can't really defend in general, but we force a lot of turnovers and we have some of the best guard play in the entire country. If we run into an incredibly efficient offensive team, we're going to really struggle because they're going to score like it's the Playboy Mansion, but if we can find somebody that we can somewhat limit, the play of our guards can win games for us.

I would actually love getting a 10 seed in the big dance. You can do some damage from there.

This pretty much hits it on the head. We can't rebound, we can't defend the rim, and we can't really defend in general, but we force a lot of turnovers and we have some of the best guard play in the entire country. If we run into an incredibly efficient offensive team, we're going to really struggle because they're going to score like it's the Playboy Mansion, but if we can find somebody that we can somewhat limit, the play of our guards can win games for us.

I would actually love getting a 10 seed in the big dance. You can do some damage from there.
I'd almost prefer a 10 seed to an 8 or a 9. Sure, your first game might be a bit tougher, but I'd much rather play a Purdue or Wisconsin in the second round than a Gonzaga or Baylor.

last I checked getting steals and forcing turnovers is called playing defense.

Advertisement
That’s part of it. But a relatively small part. We create TO’s on 20% of our defensive possessions, it’s the other 80% of possessions that’s the problem.
Exactly. Our opponents shoot 47% from the field, and 48% in ACC play. That's horrendous.

last I checked getting steals and forcing turnovers is called playing defense.
Apparently, people forget that.

Miami doesn't have size, we all know that. That said, this team does a great job of maximizing what they CAN do and that's create havoc by jumping passing lanes and forcing turnovers with speed. The easiest, most efficient way to become a solid offensive team is to be a squad that can turn turnovers into easy buckets and Miami does that extremely well. Miami is a matchup nightmare for teams that lack decisive ball handlers because if you make a couple of turnovers, Miami can put up points in bunches.

This team isn't nearly as talented as Tark's UNLV teams, but they create havoc defensively much the same way. It's just pure speed, guys taking risks, guys being active with their hands. That's solid coaching.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back