Baseball depth question

Miami04

Senior
On the radio today they were talking about how thin this years team is. Mentioning there is no one to replace Heyward with and that there aren't any back up outfielders and just a few back up infielders. Joe said many of the players this year will set records for innings played.

My question is why are we so thin? I thought we were having good recruiting classes?

My follow up question is, this would lead me to believe next years team is not going to be very good at all. Is that accurate?

Advertisement
Definitely was thinking the same thing earlier this week...seems like there are only about 10 guys who get at-bats.

What ever happened to Justin Smith, the outfield prospect? I thought he had potential...did he just fall victim to the numbers crunch?

As for next year, going to have to recruit and hopefully get a stud JUCO or two to patch holes. As long as the pitching is good then we will be alright.

Probably weren't expecting to lose Ricky Eusebio a year early. Or only have George Iskenderian for one year. Then we were counting on Kep Brown to be the 4th outfielder or DH this year but he got cold feet in the Summer and didn't enroll. The next best Freshmen field player was supposed to be Romy Gonzalez but he's hitting under his weight.

In college baseball you need Freshmen to be good right away. This year's class was small already because of a lack of scholarships. Add the fact that we don't have any good field players in this Freshmen class right now. Next year we are going to need a bunch of new guys to play a lot.

What ever happened to Justin Smith, the outfield prospect? I thought he had potential...did he just fall victim to the numbers crunch?

He was kicked off the team.

These kind of things happen and if they stack up on each other (which it did this year) then you have trouble.

And we only really used 11 field players last year. The 12th guy (Michelangeli) only got 10 starts.

So what we're seeing now is about the same.

Advertisement
Justin Smith could hit, too bad he let his teammates down. We had Rosier last year too, he is now only playing football. Not thinking about next year yet but we lose everyone but Chester. Next year could be ugly.

Justin Smith could hit, too bad he let his teammates down. We had Rosier last year too, he is now only playing football. Not thinking about next year yet but we lose everyone but Chester. Next year could be ugly.

Chester and Barr are definitely back. Ruiz and Michelangeli almost certainly back. Heyward and Abreu are 50/50.

The pitching will be strong though.

On the radio today they were talking about how thin this years team is. Mentioning there is no one to replace Heyward with and that there aren't any back up outfielders and just a few back up infielders. Joe said many of the players this year will set records for innings played.

My question is why are we so thin? I thought we were having good recruiting classes?

My follow up question is, this would lead me to believe next years team is not going to be very good at all. Is that accurate?

Next year may as well be 10 years from now in college baseball.
Too many uncertainties surrounding players.
Sort of what is happening in college basketball these days, so no sense speculating at this point (not saying you shouldn't, just
that it is kind of a waste of time right now).

Advertisement

Chester and Barr are definitely back. Ruiz and Michelangeli almost certainly back. Heyward and Abreu are 50/50.

Yeah didn't understand how that quote was made that we are losing everyone.

It looks like we have a few high impact freshmen coming in starting with Welker and the Catcher from Boca.

I say 10% chance Abreu is back and Heyward maybe 20%. Ruiz has been playing great and Michelangeli has done well but I think he has been playing over his head.

Going to most likely lose, Collins, Abreu, Heyward, Lopez, Brian Garcia, Danny Garcia and Woodrey That is a lot of talent to lose and have them all be replaced by Frosh who may or may not enroll.

Advertisement
Going to most likely lose, Collins, Abreu, Heyward, Lopez, Brian Garcia, Danny Garcia and Woodrey That is a lot of talent to lose and have them all be replaced by Frosh who may or may not enroll.

We're going to lose 4 Jrs. to the draft? That's a lot more than recent years.

maybe 5. We should have Cooper Hammond back assuming he is ok.

maybe 5. We should have Cooper Hammond back assuming he is ok.

I highly doubt that. Abreu is maybe a 2-3 round pick, Heyward may be drafted maybe in the 7th or 8th round on the high side.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back