Barry Jackson on B-Ball (nothing earth shattering)

Notsince1985

Retired staff
Premium
Among the four players in UM’s best freshman class ever, shooting guard Bruce Brown internally is considered the most ready to contribute; he can shoot, penetrate and he’s already physically strong. Some believe he could be a college version of Russell Westbrook….

But forward Dewan Huell, guard Dejan Vasiljevic and perhaps center Rodney Miller also should play as freshmen… A natural two-guard, Vasilijevic has reinforced in offseason workouts that he’s a great shooter, with some toughness and polish and ability to play some point guard…

Sophomore center Ebuka Izundu has gained more than 15 pounds (essential for him to be able to move people in the post), has a nice jump shot and is ahead of where departed Tonye Jekiri was at a similar point in their careers. Izundu and Kamari Murphy will compete to start at center; Huell can play center or power forward and will obviously grow into a starter eventually…

Ja’Quan Newton, who replaces Angel Rodriguez at point guard, has spent a lot of time refining his jump shot…

UM has one more scholarship and would love to add another ballhandler. Miami is among the schools on the radar for Buffalo sophomore transfer Lamonte Bearden but is not a favorite for him.... Davon Reed, UM’s most accomplished returnee, could play small forward if San Jose State transfer Rashad Muhammad seizes the starting shooting guard job.

“He's a very different athlete from [now Washington Wizards guard] Sheldon McClellan,” Jim Larranaga said. “Rashad is a shooter/scorer. Can really shoot the three. Has very clever moves going to the basket. His area of emphasis is to get better defensively, become a rebounder and get stronger.”...

Sports Buzz | Miami Herald & MiamiHerald.com

Advertisement
Saw Izindu recently and he's much thicker.

PG Newton -- Vasilevic
SG Muhammad -- Brown
SF Reed -- Lawrence
PF Murphy -- Huell
C Izundu -- Miller

Thanks, good post.

How high is the ceiling for Bruce Brown?

PG position will be fun to watch, the more I saw of Jaquan last year, the more I disliked him. The articles posted by StateoftheU interviewing Vasilevic were fascinating, really intelligent kid. Get Jaquan a consistent jump shot and him playing under control, he can be a complete game changer, especially when teams go zone against us. I know I won't miss when Bad Angel makes you want to throw the remote through the TV...or mouse through your monitor (**** you ESPN for putting 11v12 on ESPN3 when we played Louisville)

Tonye comparisons are fair and relevant, I'm still trying to decide how I will think of Tonye down the road, similar to Reggie's final three months. There were rumors of Tonye playing himself into the 1st round of the NBA Draft 10 games into the year, I most likely RT'd an overzealous lottery pick tweet in December.

African, body type, played rather meaningless minutes on a Sweet 16 team their freshman (Tonye got a little more PT I think), however this team should be considerably better than that mighty 2013-14 team led by Garrius Adams & Donovan Kirk.

If I did vote this year, I would write in Coach L.

Thanks, good post.

PG position will be fun to watch, the more I saw of Jaquan last year, the more I disliked him. The articles posted by StateoftheU interviewing Vasilevic were fascinating, really intelligent kid. Get Jaquan a consistent jump shot and him playing under control, he can be a complete game changer, especially when teams go zone against us. I know I won't miss when Bad Angel makes you want to throw the remote through the TV...or mouse through your monitor (**** you ESPN for putting 11v12 on ESPN3 when we played Louisville)

Tonye comparisons are fair and relevant, I'm still trying to decide how I will think of Tonye down the road, similar to Reggie's final three months. There were rumors of Tonye playing himself into the 1st round of the NBA Draft 10 games into the year, I most likely RT'd an overzealous lottery pick tweet in December.

African, body type, played rather meaningless minutes on a Sweet 16 team their freshman (Tonye got a little more PT I think), however this team should be considerably better than that mighty 2013-14 team led by Garrius Adams & Donovan Kirk.

Anyone that was thinking Tonye in the first had no idea what they were talking about at any point in the season

Thanks, good post.

Anyone that was thinking Tonye in the first had no idea what they were talking about at any point in the season

It was the night he out played Jacob Potl.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back