Back to the Future 3.0? Patience!

ArmyCane90

Recruit
Schnelly took over in 1979 when the program was on life support and had been pretty bad for quite a while. He was a pretty big name in South Florida, was aware of the talent throughout the state, capitalized on it, and built a dynasty. JJ kept it going and Erickson ruined it all. Yes, he won two championships (with JJ’s team), but I think that five or six other people on this board and I could have “coached” the ‘89 and ‘91 teams to win it all purely on their talent and swagger, but I digress.

Butch resurrected the program and Coker enjoyed the spoils of his work. Coker, Shannon, and the rest of the coaching carousel riders, like Erickson, ruined what had been built and we have resembled the Canes of the 60s and 70s since. Maybe not quite as bad.

It appears that we could have another Schnelly running the show in CMC, but maybe even better due to his experience. He truly bleeds Orange and Green, but that isn’t enough now. Fortunately, he has been in the college game for over 20 years and he knows how everything works and what right looks like.

Can Mario turn things around? I truly believe that he can. He has the support of the administration and BOT, which very few before him, if any since Schnelly, really had. But, it is going to take time. He is off to an incredible start with recruiting and that is where it all begins.

Our fan base will have to be patient for once…Rome wasn’t built in a day. It is going to take 4-5 years to build depth and rebuild the “State of Miami.” If it happens sooner, then that’s great, but I don’t think that the football gods are going to be that benevolent. The future appears to be very bright, but we all need to take a National Championship appetite suppressant for a while and let Mario do his thing.

Advertisement
We have light years more talent than Schnelly had to work with in '79, and considerably more than Shannon or Golden had when they

We have light years more talent than Schnelly had to work with in '79, and considerably more than Shannon or Golden had when they
I agree, but the parity in college football is much greater now. Bama, OU, Nebraska, USC, ND, O$U, and a few others could get all of the talent that they wanted back then, but recruiting is light years more sophisticated and competitive now. NIL and the Transfer Portal are muddying the waters even more.

Advertisement
Schnelly took over in 1979 when the program was on life support and had been pretty bad for quite a while. He was a pretty big name in South Florida, was aware of the talent throughout the state, capitalized on it, and built a dynasty. JJ kept it going and Erickson ruined it all. Yes, he won two championships (with JJ’s team), but I think that five or six other people on this board and I could have “coached” the ‘89 and ‘91 teams to win it all purely on their talent and swagger, but I digress.

Butch resurrected the program and Coker enjoyed the spoils of his work. Coker, Shannon, and the rest of the coaching carousel riders, like Erickson, ruined what had been built and we have resembled the Canes of the 60s and 70s since. Maybe not quite as bad.

It appears that we could have another Schnelly running the show in CMC, but maybe even better due to his experience. He truly bleeds Orange and Green, but that isn’t enough now. Fortunately, he has been in the college game for over 20 years and he knows how everything works and what right looks like.

Can Mario turn things around? I truly believe that he can. He has the support of the administration and BOT, which very few before him, if any since Schnelly, really had. But, it is going to take time. He is off to an incredible start with recruiting and that is where it all begins.

Our fan base will have to be patient for once…Rome wasn’t built in a day. It is going to take 4-5 years to build depth and rebuild the “State of Miami.” If it happens sooner, then that’s great, but I don’t think that the football gods are going to be that benevolent. The future appears to be very bright, but we all need to take a National Championship appetite suppressant for a while and let Mario do his thing.
"It's going to take 4-5 years to build depth and rebuild the State of Miami"

While I agree with the general tenor of your post I hardy think that we need 4-5 years to build depth. It's not like the cupboard is empty and we're coming off a 2-10 season. Yes I understand taking time to be ready to win a national title and I'm not under any illusions that we will be doing that in 2 years. Having said that, it's amazing what a team can do with a Heisman caliber QB. If we play our cards right we should be able to win the Coastal and even the ACC in relatively short order. Also I wasn't aware that the "State of Miami" needed to be rebuilt. Do you mean the state of our program or do you mean the recruiting connections within the Tri-County area?

"It's going to take 4-5 years to build depth and rebuild the State of Miami"

While I agree with the general tenor of your post I hardy think that we need 4-5 years to build depth. It's not like the cupboard is empty and we're coming off a 2-10 season. Yes I understand taking time to be ready to win a national title and I'm not under any illusions that we will be doing that in 2 years. Having said that, it's amazing what a team can do with a Heisman caliber QB. If we play our cards right we should be able to win the Coastal and even the ACC in relatively short order. Also I wasn't aware that the "State of Miami" needed to be rebuilt. Do you mean the state of our program or do you mean the recruiting connections within the Tri-County area?
We have talent, especially at QB and RB, but all of that talent is worthless without a deep OL and that takes time to build. When we are at the point of “next man up,” when someone goes down, and there is very little drop-off from a starter to a back-up, then we will be back. Bama is the perfect example of deep talent because they have kids standing on the sideline that would be starters almost anywhere else. Attrition, especially in this day of the transfer portal, is a killer. That is why I think that it will take 4-5 years.

The “State of Miami” is from Orlando to Key West. There is a lot of talent in the Central Florida area (Orlando, Kissimmee, Lakeland, Tampa/St. Pete, the Space Coast, and Fort Meyers area. Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach counties are always loaded, but there are great players all over the state. Locking down half of the state cuts FSU and UF recruiting by 40-50%.

Advertisement
I'm going to start a rumor that TVD wanted to go to Pedo State but Franklin only wanted him as a LB.
LOL! Reminds me of Paterno wanting Dan Kendra as a linebacker and hence he went to Florida St as a QB.

Looks like Paterno was right!

Schnelly had a stadium and Miami was independent back then, so we played a better schedule. Plus we were on TV each week because of that schedule, and nowadays every team is on TV and our schedule is comparatively boring since we’re ACC.

These are Jimmy Johnson’s words spoken last week, not mine. It’s why he feels we will never be “back” although we can still be a playoff level team

Advertisement
I just need improvement year after year. The bar is set pretty low. Bowl win. Division win. Double digit season. After that, I can raise expectations.
First goals:

- Not lose to FIU
- Mot lose to La Tech
- Not need last second heroics to beat CMU and App St
- Beat teams who have recently installed the forward pass as a concept

imo
First goal neeeds to be the right staff and the right S/C coach!!!! Mario knows what it looks like from bama
REPLICATE IT and we are in business

Lost me @ Dennis Erickson being a carousel rider on the level of Larry Coker. What in the world was that? You can credit the 89 title to being handed the keys to a Ferrari but when you win another title in year three, its yours. He recruited some all time players and ran a potent offense.

Advertisement
Schnelly had a stadium and Miami was independent back then, so we played a better schedule. Plus we were on TV each week because of that schedule, and nowadays every team is on TV and our schedule is comparatively boring since we’re ACC.

These are Jimmy Johnson’s words spoken last week, not mine. It’s why he feels we will never be “back” although we can still be a playoff level team
I'm reasonably certain you chose your username because it's the only way anyone would ever associate you with the word "right".

National championship? Nobody expects a ship anytime soon.

It's not going to happen overnight. But there is enough talent + easy access to stack depth via the portal to not have to expect to wait a full 5 years. 3 seems very reasonable to me.

Advertisement
Back