Alex Mirabal clinic

Maribal could be a good new Avi for u going forward..for obvious reasons
Sob GIFs | Tenor

Advertisement
It’s a number of things, but mainly it’s familiarity of the guys working together.

The biggest single factor is the line call by the center. Not to call anyone out, but Miami went from a sieve on the OL to markedly improved once Jakai Clark took over at center.

I'm confused because I was told that the center before Clark was a tough, smart leader.

I think our problem on the OL this year was lack of athleticism. It shows in the run game when its usually who gets to the spot first. We were fine in pass blocking where it was more communication.
I agree, I think that's why there was so much inside zone. Running power/counter wasn't an option because the OL weren't athletic enough.

So question for the Guru's. @Lance Roffers

Did we run a zone blocking scheme under Lashlee?

Is a OL zone scheme the same as a defense zone scheme in that you either block/cover an area or take a man if it's not?
We ran both concepts. Gap (power) concepts we ran more often later in the year than we did early in the year. We pulled and ran wham blocks to clear guys out or to attack the edge defender and have RB cut off his butt.

Zone is more about letting the defender determine where you take him. If you watched the above video you'll see Coach talking about the defender doesn't want you to reach him (essentially get in front of him to where they lose contain), so fine, just throw him out the club, the RB is getting to a landmark in a zone run scheme. So, you're going to have an uncovered OL on most plays. In a zone scheme that guy has a decision to make whether he climbs, helps, or takes that block. It's an area deal. Then RB uses his landmark to make his decision. If that outside edge defender jumps out to prevent the reach, you cut off the butt of T. If edge jumps inside and lets the T get a reach, you keep going outside.

In man concepts, you are responsible for this man and must block him. RB has less of a decision and more of a predetermined gap to attack.

For the record, I much prefer zone blocking because it is easier to teach, gives more options based on what the defender does, requires less physical talent in your OL, and gives more ways for the OL to be right.

Loved the video. Loved that Coach is stealing from the 49ers (the best at it). Loved that he wants to knock guys on their butt in practice. Loved that we are going to be physical and go through guys.

Thanks to OP for posting. I learned a few things.

Advertisement
Back