A few game observations.

CanesLifer2

Junior
Can Wards pocket presence is ELITE. I believe he’s the best in the country in that aspect.

Funny enough, I’ve always wondered why players don’t pitch the ball backwards on a play where a first down is needed, and Ward does it. His knee was down, but his awareness is phenomenal.

Despite Ward being very slightly off in the first half, he was completely unfazed. This is exactly how you want your leader to be.

There’s a real possibility Ward would have thrown for 500 and 5 TD’s had the JG play not went down that way and the zebras didn’t rob IH2 of that TD on the goal line.

Defense very clearly had a game plan of bend but don’t break, and despite some penalties (quite a few ticky tack) they really held their own. Half time adjustments by Guidry have been on point all season long.

The press man defense that I saw most of the game is the defense that I absolutely love. I despise the 8-10 yards off the ball we’ve seen in years past. Our corners have done pretty well considering they were the question mark of this team during the offseason.

Speaking of Guidry, I have some friends that played for him at FAU. He’s constantly mentioned as a their favorite coach, even by offensive players. Down to earth, good guy and a **** of a technical coach.

We are an air raid team, as long as we can run the ball when we need to, that’s all I care about. You can miss me with the 25-30 carries a game prerequisite. This is a new era. This is what Miami should be at this point in time, speed and talent.

Meesh Powell is severely underrated nationally, he’s a **** of a pickup and better than any safety we’ve had since Jaquan Johnson.

I got to give credit to Mario. He’s built this right, and kept his meddling to a minimum this season. He’s letting his coaches coach and his players play. Let the man focus on recruiting.

Great win last night, let’s hang 50 on Tech on Friday Night.

Pack the rock, buy your tickets, support these Canes, they really deserve it.

Advertisement
The one negative that must be pointed out is the penalties. I was so freaking impressed by the UF game with their poise and discipline.

Since then we are seeing pre snap penalties and worse personal fouls. I’m pretty sure Mario is ****ed off about it too. Didn’t see much of Fletcher after he got called for one early on.

Funny enough, I’ve always wondered why players don’t pitch the ball backwards on a play where a first down is needed, and Ward does it. His knee was down, but his awareness is phenomenal.
I assume because unless it's a designed play (which in this case it wasn't), the player he's pitching it to should be looking for someone to block - and if he's not paying attention it's a turnover.

Advertisement
We had 29 rushes yesterday

Yes, with about 6-8 in garbage time and 5 on QB rushes that were designed as passes.

I’m mostly talking about running ineffectively on first and second down like we’ve seen in years past. Just take what the defense gives you, if that means a game with 50 carries im cool with that, but we can’t get boxed in with we need to run the ball all the time.

It’s simply a numbers game based on what the defense is playing and we need to just adjust accordingly which they’ve done very well at.

Can Wards pocket presence is ELITE. I believe he’s the best in the country in that aspect.

Despite Ward being very slightly off in the first half, he was completely unfazed. This is exactly how you want your leader to be.

There’s a real possibility Ward would have thrown for 500 and 5 TD’s had the JG play not went down that way and the zebras didn’t rob IH2 of that TD on the goal line.

Defense very clearly had a game plan of bend but don’t break, and despite some penalties (quite a few ticky tack) they really held their own. Half time adjustments by Guidry have been on point all season long.

The press man defense that I saw most of the game is the defense that I absolutely love. I despise the 8-10 yards off the ball we’ve seen in years past. Our corners have done pretty well considering they were the question mark of this team during the offseason.

Speaking of Guidry, I have some friends that played for him at FAU. He’s constantly mentioned as a their favorite coach, even by offensive players. Down to earth, good guy and a **** of a technical coach.

We are an air raid team, as long as we can run the ball when we need to, that’s all I care about. You can miss me with the 25-30 carries a game prerequisite. This is a new era. This is what Miami should be at this point in time, speed and talent.

Meesh Powell is severely underrated nationally, he’s a **** of a pickup and better than any safety we’ve had since Jaquan Johnson.

I got to give credit to Mario. He’s built this right, and kept his meddling to a minimum this season. He’s letting his coaches coach and his players play. Let the man focus on recruiting.

Cam Ward has amnesia in the best possible way

I will never actually understand how he got such a bad relative draft analysis, and yes, I know it’s because of team not winning, but plenty of players get drafted in the first round despite their team not being great. Lotta scouts gonna take an L on that one.

And Mario clearly has adjusted, but you also have to give him credit because he did hire two guys and made quick cuts to hire them when he realized it wasn’t working, and despite reservations people had last year now we see what they can do. Granted Dawson is benefiting from having a one of one kind of quarterback guy, but there is a lot of room for him to be a great coordinator in between what he had with TVD and having Cam Ward now as we go forward.

The analysis some here had in the first half about our defense and guys like Porter and what they were trying to do overall makes me forever discount most of your guys takes on how the team is playing with the scheme and plan are.

Both of those coordinators are on track for a (further) big payday here as coordinators or getting looks as head coaching candidates if things continue

The one negative that must be pointed out is the penalties. I was so freaking impressed by the UF game with their poise and discipline.

Since then we are seeing pre snap penalties and worse personal fouls. I’m pretty sure Mario is ****ed off about it too. Didn’t see much of Fletcher after he got called for one early on.
True. But there were also some egregious bs calls against us compliments of the USF home cooking. But this will give MC something to point too for the players to be held in check ego wise.

Advertisement
True. But there were also some egregious bs calls against us compliments of the USF home cooking. But this will give MC something to point too for the players to be held in check ego wise.
2 VERY questionable PI calls against us. Including one flag that came late, after the USF fans started booing because they wanted a flag

I think the development of Mario as a CEO style head coach is something we are not talking about enough. It’s so difficult to change as human beings and now he’s seeing the positive results. This should mean great things for the program moving forward.

Cam Ward has amnesia in the best possible way

I will never actually understand how he got such a bad relative draft analysis, and yes, I know it’s because of team not winning, but plenty of players get drafted in the first round despite their team not being great. Lotta scouts gonna take an L on that one.

And Mario clearly has adjusted, but you also have to give him credit because he did hire two guys and made quick cuts to hire them when he realized it wasn’t working, and despite reservations people had last year now we see what they can do. Granted Dawson is benefiting from having a one of one kind of quarterback guy, but there is a lot of room for him to be a great coordinator in between what he had with TVD and having Cam Ward now as we go forward.

The analysis some here had in the first half about our defense and guys like Porter and what they were trying to do overall makes me forever discount most of your guys takes on how the team is playing with the scheme and plan are.

Both of those coordinators are on track for a (further) big payday here as coordinators or getting looks as head coaching candidates if things continue
The business-like Cam Ward we see now, was the opposite earlier in his career... and he turned it over a lot....

I think the development of Mario as a CEO style head coach is something we are not talking about enough. It’s so difficult to change as human beings and now he’s seeing the positive results. This should mean great things for the program moving forward.

100%.

Most coaches are too prideful to let go of something and force their players to play their scheme rather than adjust their scheme to their players.

Mario has done that by deferring to his coaches and allowing them to do what they feel is best, and when they haven’t done well, he gets rid of them after the year.

Like you said, he’s turned into the CEO, and letting his employees do their jobs without micromanaging. He’s really grown and it’s extremely impressive.

Advertisement
Yes, with about 6-8 in garbage time and 5 on QB rushes that were designed as passes.

I’m mostly talking about running ineffectively on first and second down like we’ve seen in years past. Just take what the defense gives you, if that means a game with 50 carries im cool with that, but we can’t get boxed in with we need to run the ball all the time.

It’s simply a numbers game based on what the defense is playing and we need to just adjust accordingly which they’ve done very well at.
You run to set up the pass. You pass to set up the run. You can’t ying without a yang.

One of those garbage time runs was a 91 yard touchdown. One of those QB runs (that was an RPO) ended up at the 1 and was almost a TD. I get what you’re saying conceptually - take what the defense gives you regardless of carry count. The “miss me” statement just came off as silly, especially since we ran the ball that exact number of times.

You run to set up the pass. You pass to set up the run. You can’t ying without a yang.

One of those garbage time runs was a 91 yard touchdown. One of those QB runs (that was an RPO) ended up at the 1 and was almost a TD. I get what you’re saying conceptually - take what the defense gives you regardless of carry count. The “miss me” statement just came off as silly, especially since we ran the ball that exact number of times.

What I meant when I said “miss me” was that 25-30 carries a game is NEEDED no matter what. Because in a close game it’s very possible we don’t come close to that number.

I agree that we need to be able to do both effectively, I just believe we have become a passing dominant team at this point in time.

Advertisement

Shades of Mark Walton on the post-Golden-Firing 8 lateral kickoff touchdown against Duke. Just, on a run of the mill 3rd down.

Both wore #1.

We’re getting better every game. Something we haven’t seen in years. The team never lost focus even when down on the road. And, it was very apparent that we were the better team as far as being in shape. Best team we’ve had in 20 years.

Advertisement
Back