4* C Rodney Miller Signed his LOI to Miami today.

Advertisement
Miller, from Oak Hill Academy in Mouth of Wilson, Va., said in a Scout article he was on the radar of Duke and North Carolina. He was higher on the boards of Virginia, Florida, Wake Forest and Georgia Tech, all of whom offered, according to Rivals. ESPN said he also had a UConn offer.

I'm really liking the frontcourt Coach L is building. Izundu, Miller and possibly Huell would make a killer frontcourt, maybe even better than what we had with Gamble, Johnson and Kadji.

Anybody else catch Miller against Chaminade on ESPN last night? Not to bag on a recruit, but I was very underwhelmed. Announcers also said that he has struggled to make an impact at Oak Hill. He is a big kid though. And in Larranaga I trust. He has certainly shown us is ability to develop big men.

Advertisement
Anybody else catch Miller against Chaminade on ESPN last night? Not to bag on a recruit, but I was very underwhelmed. Announcers also said that he has struggled to make an impact at Oak Hill. He is a big kid though. And in Larranaga I trust. He has certainly shown us is ability to develop big men.

Redshirt candidate?

Redshirt candidate?

Thats what I'm thinking. Especially if we can get a grad transfer to come in and help out at the 5. Kid just looked lost at times and not overly athletic. Wasn't even the starter - albeit on an uber-talented Oak Hill team.

I watched both of these teams in person over the weekend. They were at a national tournament in Springfield, MO (#1 attended high school tourney in the country, gotta give a shout out to the hometown, right). Oak Hill was the defending champion of the tournament in a tournament that has all of the elite teams come through at one time or another.

Oak Hill won the tourney, but they shouldn't have. Sierra Canyon out of California led the entire game and had them beat. Sierra Canyon had one kid who basically wasn't a stud recruit type and he's the kid that tried to be the hero. Up 4, 50 seconds to go in the game and they have the ball. No shot clock in MO high school basketball, so they could've made them foul them but he tried to go to the bucket and drew a charge. Oak Hill gets fouled and makes one of two. Canyon makes one of two free throws and then blocks a shot out of bounds with 2 seconds left. They inbounded and hit a 3 at the buzzer, falling away, from the corner, with a guy all over him.

They played three games and I saw them play all three games. Miller started game one against a team that has no business being there, but this tourney always has a few local teams (two best teams in the state and this team). Miller played around 10 minutes and did nothing. He was being guarded by a kid no bigger than 6-4. Miller looked slow as molasses and had zero offensive ability. He's built like a pear and runs like he has a stick where you wouldn't want it. I think he scored four points very late in the game- one on a dunk where he cherry picked, one on a rebound that he missed the layup the first time.

I was looking forward to seeing him play the next game, against better competition, but unfortunately after his performance the night before he did not start the game. This isn't your normal high school team though, as they had two 5-star kids who didn't even start for them. How crazy is that? Miller played a total of two minutes in that game and didn't score.

The next night I wanted to see how he fared against Cody Riley, a 5-star Junior for Sierra Canyon, but alas, Miller didn't play in the game that I saw. He sat the bench and was a cheerleader.

As someone else put it, I was very underwhelmed. I'm a huge Missouri State fan, mainly because I spent seven years of my life there, and if I didn't know anything about the players on the court I wouldn't have been overly thrilled if he had signed with them. When I saw he was a Miami commit I was kind of bummed.

Positives are:

7 foot tall with a large frame
Decent hands

Negatives are:

Conditioning
Motor
Athleticism
Offensive game
Footwork is poor
Looked uninspired
Moves very slowly

I trust Coach L, so I'll hope that he develops him. Weird to see a top-100 kid who simply can't get on the floor for his own team. This was a team without Harry Giles, or he'd have played even less than he did.

I watched both of these teams in person over the weekend. They were at a national tournament in Springfield, MO (#1 attended high school tourney in the country, gotta give a shout out to the hometown, right). Oak Hill was the defending champion of the tournament in a tournament that has all of the elite teams come through at one time or another.

Oak Hill won the tourney, but they shouldn't have. Sierra Canyon out of California led the entire game and had them beat. Sierra Canyon had one kid who basically wasn't a stud recruit type and he's the kid that tried to be the hero. Up 4, 50 seconds to go in the game and they have the ball. No shot clock in MO high school basketball, so they could've made them foul them but he tried to go to the bucket and drew a charge. Oak Hill gets fouled and makes one of two. Canyon makes one of two free throws and then blocks a shot out of bounds with 2 seconds left. They inbounded and hit a 3 at the buzzer, falling away, from the corner, with a guy all over him.

They played three games and I saw them play all three games. Miller started game one against a team that has no business being there, but this tourney always has a few local teams (two best teams in the state and this team). Miller played around 10 minutes and did nothing. He was being guarded by a kid no bigger than 6-4. Miller looked slow as molasses and had zero offensive ability. He's built like a pear and runs like he has a stick where you wouldn't want it. I think he scored four points very late in the game- one on a dunk where he cherry picked, one on a rebound that he missed the layup the first time.

I was looking forward to seeing him play the next game, against better competition, but unfortunately after his performance the night before he did not start the game. This isn't your normal high school team though, as they had two 5-star kids who didn't even start for them. How crazy is that? Miller played a total of two minutes in that game and didn't score.

The next night I wanted to see how he fared against Cody Riley, a 5-star Junior for Sierra Canyon, but alas, Miller didn't play in the game that I saw. He sat the bench and was a cheerleader.

As someone else put it, I was very underwhelmed. I'm a huge Missouri State fan, mainly because I spent seven years of my life there, and if I didn't know anything about the players on the court I wouldn't have been overly thrilled if he had signed with them. When I saw he was a Miami commit I was kind of bummed.

Positives are:

7 foot tall with a large frame
Decent hands

Negatives are:

Conditioning
Motor
Athleticism
Offensive game
Footwork is poor
Looked uninspired
Moves very slowly

I trust Coach L, so I'll hope that he develops him. Weird to see a top-100 kid who simply can't get on the floor for his own team. This was a team without Harry Giles, or he'd have played even less than he did.

Appreciate the feedback from someone who has seen him live. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was underwhelmed. The kid just seemed lost out there in the few minutes he did play on ESPN. But Coach L has done more with less. So we will see how this one plays out I suppose.

Advertisement
In all the highlights I've seen...the kid just still looks awkward, like he doesn't know how to properly use his body. Almost like his body grew, and his motor functions are still trying to catch up.

Due to that, I'm simply hopeful that since he's getting good coaching at Oak Hill, and will continue to get good coaching at Miami, that maybe his coordination will catch up to his frame as he continues to physically mature. Not everyone reaches their peak athleticism at 17-18 years old. Maybe Miller can take a redshirt, build more muscle, hone his back-to-the-bucket game...and eventually develop into a low block scorer that we haven't had since we had the likes of Gamble/Kadji/Big Reggie on the team. That's my expectation for him.

He's definitely a project, albeit a highly-rated one. Up to Coach L and the staff to put in the work to bring him along.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back