1982 #14 Florida State vs #16 Miami (Richt starting QB)

John Saunders

Band
Banned
Well, figures You Tube would have a complete game with Mark Richt as a starter. (This is a fairly boring game with FSU winning 24-7, but a curiosity none the less).

The awesome 1981 Miami squad finished 8th ranked in the country and went to a bowl game for the first time in over a decade. They entered 1982 ranked 13 but the seasons high hopes were crushed early on when Jim Kelly went down early on with a separated shoulder vs Virginia Tech. Mark Richt started for the rest of the year and the 82 Canes limped out with a 7-4 record overall record (including a controversial loss to Florida in Gainesville 17-14 and a heart breaker to Notre Dame). Of course much of this squad went on to stun the CFB world and win the national title the next year.

FYI: Bernie Kosar and Vinnie Testaverde were red shirting and on the sidelines for this game.

[video=youtube;tX3q3URhnTU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX3q3URhnTU[/video]

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think Vinnie actually player that year and only Bernie got the shirt. I think Vinnie got a shirt the next year. Good to know that Mark owes noles for that one, and ND.

Advertisement
After a particularly vicious sack, Richt got knocked on the head and had a vision - a vision of the Triangle Read...which is what makes the shallow crossing concept possible...

Now if we can get this offense up to 88 plays per game we might just have a chance...

On-campus stadium? Where we're going we don't need...on-campus stadiums...

(These Back to the Future analogies doing anything for anybody? No? I'll stop now.)

Great Scott.

Funny how small the crowd was for that game, vs how big it would get in just a few years. Can't wait to see this game with a sold out stadium and the improvements to the stadium this year.

Advertisement
WRONG!

Richt was suspended after this game and Kyle Vandewende, RS freshman QB, started rest of year. Always had a bad taste in my mouth about Richt after that, but most especially his long tenure at FSU. I'm getting over it, now.

I think Vinnie actually player that year and only Bernie got the shirt. I think Vinnie got a shirt the next year. Good to know that Mark owes noles for that one, and ND.

Yes. Richt was suspended for next game at MD and Kyle Vandewende started. Vinnie was backup and came in for a series. We lost close one as I remember in College Park to Boomer Esiaison and Terps..

Yes. Richt was suspended for next game at MD and Kyle Vandewende started. Vinnie was backup and came in for a series. We lost close one as I remember in College Park to Boomer Esiaison and Terps..
Car rental?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Advertisement
I think Vinnie actually played that year and only Bernie got the shirt. I think Vinnie got a shirt the next year. Good to know that Mark owes noles for that one, and ND.

Yes. Richt was suspended for next game at MD and Kyle Vandewende started. Vinnie was backup and came in for a series. We lost close one as I remember in College Park to Boomer Esiason and Terps.
Car rental?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

No, nothing that serious. Some kind of "dorm incident" as I remember, and it was never made public what it was. I think it was probably pretty minor, compared to the stuff we're seeing now. Richt was reinstated after the Maryland game but I think Schnelly had Vandewende starting for the rest of the season. We did not have a bowl game that year.

A rather disappointing year. Kelly went down with the shoulder dislocation in the first or second game of the year. It was in Blacksburg. He was a darkhorse candidate for the Heisman. There were better known QBs around the country that year, like Dan Marino and Elway. We had come off a very good year in '81 and were playing some of the best football in the country that year. Looking back on those teams, very few guys from the early '80's could play now. Look at those lumbering RBs, like Speedy Neal, a HS A-A. Mark Rush was OK, known for being able to leap the LOS on goal line situations. The best RB was probably Albert Bentley, as he began to prove in '83 and after he went to the USFL where he rushed for 1000 yards. He was a walkon who came to practice on his bicycle (no fancy exotic cars back then) and they tried to send him away. He persisted and became a very good back. The kids were tough, played hard, but nowhere near the size and athletic ability of kids now. Not that we should expect them to have been.

Notice that the defense would not have satisfied current fans. It was the old Okie 5-2, a passive reading defense. It was changed two years later when Jimmy Johnson arrived on the scene.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The 81 team was on probation. They didn't go to any bowl.

A very good team, too. One of the best in the country.

Could say the best, they had 3 TDs called back between games at Texas and at Miss which cost them the games if my memory is right. Should have gone undefeated. Screwed over. Jim Kelly was he best QB ever at UM. Threw for over 10,000 yards in two seasons with the Houston Gamblers.

Ol' DBJ looks about 200lbs heavier there. Great find but any of these old tapes from the OB still make me sad. That said, it'd be awesome to hear commentary of Kaaya and Richt watching this together.

VanDERwende.

Whatever. I thought he had some decent potential from what I saw at UMD. We almost won an away game, and MD had an experienced starting QB who later played in the NFL, Esiason. He quit the next year when Schnelly named Kosar the starter, despite the fact Vanderwende was a returning starter. He had a tryout with the Dolphins and quit there too despite the fact Shula said he didn't look bad in practices. Just didn't have a burning desire to play football anymore, i guess.

The 81 team was on probation. They didn't go to any bowl.

A very good team, too. One of the best in the country.

Could say the best, they had 3 TDs called back between games at Texas and at Miss which cost them the games if my memory is right. Should have gone undefeated. Screwed over. Jim Kelly was he best QB ever at UM. Threw for over 10,000 yards in two seasons with the Houston Gamblers.

Yes. Some of my friends who got to see the team play more that year felt we were the best in the country. I do remember something about too much cowbell at Mississippi. SNL propaganda will say "more cowbell,' well just goes to show you the effects of too much cowbell. Did the cowbell cost us the game? I have a recollection that it did.

Advertisement
Back