Stacy Coley Observations

Tito Benach

Staff Writer
Premium
I got the chance to see Coley for the second time this year, except this time in pads. I can honestly say they looked like two different people. The first bad sign for Coley today was how when his entire team was ready and beginning to do their pre-game, he was still getting dressed. Also when his team ran a casual lap around the half field, he slow jogged the entire thing.

The worst by far was his performance, Coley went without a single catch in the first half, He was targeted numerous times but just couldn't get to the ball. One of his worst plays includes one where he had an opportunity to catch a ball that was thrown moderately high, but catchable. Instead of trying to catch it, Coley gave up on the play assuming there was a pass interference.

To be frank, he looked like he wasn't even trying, like he had something better to do. The Elite wide receiver had an opportunity to put his team back into the game when he had a catchable ball right in his hands for at least a forty yard gain and dropped it. No excuses directly in his hands.

Following the game, I asked Coley if he could give me an Interview and he said yes. but following his team's huddle Coley had a stern talking to his coach, his coach looked furious with him. Coley then ran off, I chased him down using my 4.4 speed but when he turned around he said "My coach isn't letting me do interviews." Personally, I was more upset about that then his performance but that's another thing.

The word before the summer was that Coley was a head case and had bad grades and I believes it because one of my sources had confirmed it. But as time grew on different reports came out and I began to change my thoughts on him. He definitely changed my mind at the dolphin 7-on-7. But his performance last night was everything that I was hoping it wouldn't be. I am now beginning to return to those thoughts I had prior to the summer.

Overall, I might be over exaggerating, he might of had one bad game and it was this one. But regardless of that the Character issues are a serious problem, a problem that I think Hurricane coaches would not stand for a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Another Stacey Coley report, more of the same on both his performance and attitude.

Everyone who has seen him knows he is an INCREDIBLE talent. You can't deny that.
Everyone who has interacted with him also knows he is has issues with his attitude and character.

At this point, neither of those things are going to change. For the Canes, we need to decide if the character issues are worth the trouble to get his playmaking ability on our team.

I, for one, do not think that they are.

Amazing player. I'll pass.

Advertisement
That's a shame. Kid is a super talent that I want on this squad but it appears that the attitude reports we've read about for months are correct.

Thanks for the info.

Tito dont let the fact that he wouldnt do the interview bother you, maybe his coach really didnt want him to do interviews after a halfassed performance, I know you are trying to do your job and cant without getting direct quotes but sometimes things like that happen

Advertisement
This recruit and his situation reminds me a lot of a certain wide receiver from MNW.

I would be glad to have him here unless his attitude is just out of control. You don't find that type of talent every year. Cunningham is not in his class...while good he is strictly a possession type.

Advertisement
I would be glad to have him here unless his attitude is just out of control. You don't find that type of talent every year. Cunningham is not in his class...while good he is strictly a possession type.

Hard work beat Talent any day of the week... Cunningham is no slouch and having a talented players with an attitude like Coley's isnt worth it. I'd rather take a slighty less talented kid who's gonna work hard and do the right things..

I personally think he shut it down because it is preseason. I know that sounds bad , but it is what it is.

He's got a whole year to work out the attitude/character kinks. The staff is doing the right thing in continuing to monitor the situation, and we have an alumni guy in place to keep the coaches abreast of progress/regression.

This kid is an incredible athlete and talent, and while this info early on is disappointing, its too soon to give up on him. The same guys who are saying pass will be the same guys pom pomming if he bounces back with a huge performance next game.

Advertisement
I guess we are getting the idea of why Golden and co. have waited on making a push for Coley. It would be a shame for him to waste that much talent, he would be in Fred Rouse territory.

The list of kids with incredible good talent and incredibly bad attitude/work ethic/ grades is lengthy and sad. Unless he makes drastic changes, he aint coming here.

He's got a whole year to work out the attitude/character kinks. The staff is doing the right thing in continuing to monitor the situation, and we have an alumni guy in place to keep the coaches abreast of progress/regression.

This kid is an incredible athlete and talent, and while this info early on is disappointing, its too soon to give up on him. The same guys who are saying pass will be the same guys pom pomming if he bounces back with a huge performance next game.

The problem with the "he has a year to work on it" argument is that the staff has been telling him for months that he needs to clean that up. At a certain point, you wonder when the staff just tells him enough is enough.

Advertisement
Back