Cant wait for Omar Kelly's mea culpa to Al Golden...

View as article

k9cane

Senior
drew514.jpg

it would be the honorable thing to write, wouldn't it?

But the last two nights were vindication for Golden, bottom line. He's too classy to say it out loud, but the results speak for themselves in many ways. Again, Miami must lead the country in 3rd day draftees who came out early. IMO, it goes beyond just USC having guys who grew up and came from the OC and had nuclear families. This is about the culture of a program which has lingered for years. There was a time when a UM player came out, it meant he was getting a hug from the commish.

Miami, as I've said for a long time, was more of an NFL internship than a college program.

To me, when Roscoe Parrish bolted early after 2004 to be a 3rd rounder, it said to me that the whole 'NFL U" thing had jumped the shark like Arthur Fonzarelli. And when alums( who played the game and can better understand where these players come from and went through) like Alonzo Highsmith and Leon Searcy just flat out openly state what a mistake it was for most of these guys to bolt, it's telling.

This wasn't a coach who was just looking out for himself( as some have said about Mr Golden).

Well, the proof is in the pudding.

Just wondering, what is Drew Rosenhaus telling some of these guys tonight? Is he even answering his phone? Yeah, these guys will get paid eventually and even craft careers, but ask yourself this: was coming out at this time the best thing for them? And Mel Bratton doesn't want to hear about any career altering injuries, sorry.

But tonight to me, can be a watershed moment for this program which has sent more players to the NFL combine in the past two seasons than the number of victories they have amassed. It's sad that young men like Lamar Miller, Brandon Washington and Tommy Streeter have to be the examples that we'll point to for years. But next time, maybe Golden and Co. wont just be looked upon as people who are just looking out for themselves.

Yeah, he's a bit more honest than a Rosenhaus or any other agent and just happens to know more than Omar Kelly. Imagine that.

Last edited:
Advertisement
****, who put up that photo of Drew Down? I can't do that tricky stuff. Gracias

Its sad... These kids made a huge mistake and some won't get drafted. I hope Golden goes to the radio station and screams...

Advertisement
I knew that 'splace once did a shop of Omar but couldn't find it. I did a quick google search and I selected the dumbest pic of Drew I could find on the first page.

For those who don't remember, here's what Kelly wrote about Golden regarding his criticism of players leaving early:

Omar Kelly said:
Omar Kelly
I have a HUGE problem with what Al Golden said today about the Canes underclassmen entering the draft. Was he going to make Lamar Miller or Tommy Streeter first round picks? Was he going to ensure that Marcus Fortson didn't suffer YET another season ending knee injury? He's not getting any younger. Was Golden going to continue to play Brandon Washington out of position, continuing to hurt his draft stock?

Omar Kelly
They weren't Al Golden's players to begin with, and many of them had been at UM long enough. Golden didn't make Tommy Streeter, or Lamar Miller, or Olivier Vernon, or Brandon Washington. Those players made a business decision, and all of them will be in the NFL next season. Where they finished developing at UM? NOPE! But they could develop better in the NFL, and get to their second deal quicker. In the new NFL that's where the REAL money is.

Omar Kelly
I don't have a firm opinion about Al Golden. Never met him, but I do know he had more talent on that team than wins produced. Golden even admits that. That's not the problem of the players who left. It's the problem of the coaching staff, which failed to maximize the talent of the players there. Why continue to play for a defense that sucks? Lamar Miller sat on the bench too long. Tommy Streeter clearly should have played earlier. Was Olivier Vernon or Brandon Washington used properly?

Omar Kelly
I heard this same argument from ignorant people who said Frank Gore should have stayed at UM, or Jon Beason wasn't ready for the pros. You don't know a player's circumstances, and unless you're going to put his $400,000 rookie salary on your payroll you're better off shutting your mouth and wishing them luck.

Omar Kelly
I find it funny how UM fans think they can THUG me into changing my opinion, or backing down on my viewpoint. Al Golden has done NOTHING at UM YET. Talk big when you win the weak ACC. And NOBODY is scared of the Hurricanes anymore. And that includes their fans, who can't show up for games because the sun is too hot.

Omar Kelly
Leonard Hankerson stayed for his senior season and had an amazing year. What did that guarantee him? Third round. How about Allen Bailey? Staying for his senior season really boosted his stock. If you don't know much about the draft process you're better off shutting your mouth and wishing them luck, not questioning their heart and commitment to the program.

Omar Kelly
Before you try to go back and forth with me on this please make sure you know the difference in money between an NFL 2nd rounder and 4th rounder. If you don't then we're not in the same league, don't even play with the same ball. Losing a year in the NFL (staying for one more season) is worth $390,000 at LEAST. Ask yourself if a kid from Liberty City can pass that up?

Omar Kelly ‏ @OmarKelly
@wilkensjeune pleas understand the likelihood someone like Streeter wants to break in a new QB after a breakout season is SLIM.He has degree

Last edited:
Advertisement
I agree with Kelly in a sense that getting a head start on your NFL career gives you a leg up getting some paid earlier and on your service time( every players' goal is to get to that 4th full season to start getting the full pension- I know this since I'm friends with Rudy Carpenter, who left the Cowboys practice squad in 2010 to get to Tampa Bay, which immediately put him on the active roster, which for him was everything)

But on the flip side, you talk to anyone in the business, they will tell you that first contract is key, because you can never get that money back that you lose in draft value and get locked into some really bad contracts half way through.

I would love to really get some honest answers from these guys that left early and hear what they have to say.

But I'll say it again, while these losses will hurt UM in the short run, I firmly believe for this program to be what it once was and where Golden wants it, they need to have guys who want to be Miami Hurricanes.

Last edited:
k9......well done as usual

i always hated that stupid NFL-U nonsense because it seemed to do more harm than good for the program

this most recent group of poor decision makers puts one of those negatives front and center

when you have a program that is at the top of the college football world.........kids who are statistical leaders for those programs will always get more attention....from the media......and from the nfl..........but that hasnt been the case in coral gables for close to a decade.........but nobody has made the announcement that NFL-U was condemned and boarded up........which is the reason these kids think that one good year in a mediocre program is the same as an equally good year at a top 5 or top 10 program

and i dont expect a friggin word from omar kelly at all......the guy has always been a hack who licked shantards ballas as often as possible.........but me thinks that when this discussion comes up again next year........that omar will probably find somebody else to try and throw under the bus

Advertisement
Kelly is a fool who has never done anything with his own life. List his accomplishments. He also is a racist and hater.

LMAO @ Kelly saying Streeter should have played earlier. Was that directed at Golden? He didn't see significant minutes until Golden became head coach.

Advertisement
Golden will recruit the hard working kids that want to make miami great again.

Im not talking about spence, but im glad we wont be having anymore of these puzzies that think they are better then they really are.

it would be the honorable thing to write, wouldn't it?

But the last two nights were vindication for Golden, bottom line. He's too classy to say it out loud, but the results speak for themselves in many ways. Again, Miami must lead the country in 3rd day draftees who came out early. IMO, it goes beyond just USC having guys who grew up and came from the OC and had nuclear families. This is about the culture of a program which has lingered for years. There was a time when a UM player came out, it meant he was getting a hug from the commish.

Miami, as I've said for a long time, was more of an NFL internship than a college program.

To me, when Roscoe Parrish bolted early after 2004 to be a 3rd rounder, it said to me that the whole 'NFL U" thing had jumped the shark like Arthur Fonzarelli. And when alums( who played the game and can better understand where these players come from and went through) like Alonzo Highsmith and Leon Searcy just flat out openly state what a mistake it was for most of these guys to bolt, it's telling.

This wasn't a coach who was just looking out for himself( as some have said about Mr Golden).

Well, the proof is in the pudding.

Just wondering, what is Drew Rosenhaus telling some of these guys tonight? Is he even answering his phone? Yeah, these guys will get paid eventually and even craft careers, but ask yourself this: was coming out at this time the best thing for them? And Mel Bratton doesn't want to hear about any career altering injuries, sorry.

But tonight to me, can be a watershed moment for this program which has sent more players to the NFL combine in the past two seasons than the number of victories they have amassed. It's sad that young men like Lamar Miller, Brandon Washington and Tommy Streeter have to be the examples that we'll point to for years. But next time, maybe Golden and Co. wont just be looked upon as people who are just looking out for themselves.

Yeah, he's a bit more honest than a Rosenhaus or any other agent and just happens to know more than Omar Kelly. Imagine that.

Another Tour-de-Force piece by one of the best Cane posters on all boards.
Good work K9!!!!

Advertisement
Back