NFL DT’s vs CFB

COCane4Life

Recruit
Premium
Someone feel free to fact check me but in the past two drafts, I found 6 DT’s drafted that weighed in at the combine or at pro day over 320lbs. The earliest drafted big body went round 2.

In this most recent draft. Out of the 7 DT’s drafted in the first two rounds, 5 weighed in under 300lbs between 292-297. The other two weighed 304lbs and 306lbs.

I find it fascinating every year in college there’s this infatuation with massive 320lb+ DT’s and yet, the NFL is moving away from those body types. Massive nose tackles that can move and rush the passer are rare.

It really begs the question what should a great DT room look like?

I’d be curious if @DMoney or @Peter Ariz could do some research and maybe do a pod on this as we head into the summer months.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Because speed kills and
1714499817594.gif

The ideal DT room should blend size for run-stopping with speed and technique for pass rushing. If you can get guys with all traits then DT room go boom.

As the game speeds up and offensive schemes diversify, teams increasingly value defensive tackles who aren't a liability in faster-paced situations. Which those huge mount Cody types usually are.

Advertisement
The NFL is a passing league now. The need to get after the QB from multiple different fronts is higher than having the run stopping clogger in there. They still have their roles, but guys that can hold up in the run but exhibit plus pass rushing in the interior are getting selected at a higher rate.

Something I’ve noticed in recent years is that the NFL is referring to DE’s as “Edge” players. NFL pass rushing is heavily reliant on these Edge players along with spy blitzes.

Athletic big men in the middle are rare and don’t have the stamina to play 50 plays a game after getting pushed around by 300 pound centers and 320 pound guards often getting double teamed.

Advertisement
Great point, OP...look no further than Jordan Davis (6'6 340) who 5-10 years ago would have been the #1 overall pick probably but in this era...was the #13 pick. (this was even AFTER his a$$ ran a 4.7 at 340lbs too! Still didnt move the needle). NFL seems to be changing what they want in a DT.

I think we would do just fine with a starting DT tandem of Barrow Jr and Clark. Obviously getting Harmon would have been great but I dont see any reason why we cant do just as great if we get Barrow Jr.

Advertisement
Back