Look to the Transfer Portal: Discussion thread

Yea Right GIF

Advertisement
But it'd have to be much later than June, cause how would that work for players who entered the portal, committed somewhere, but do not graduate from the initial school until After that date, and thus don't enroll into the new school until after? Think Oregon, UCLA for instance both don't end their spring until early/mid June. How would that affect HS players or is this only for transfers....
The date was not the point. Having a date was the point.

Like by June 1st you have to be Enrolled at _______ Institution to be eligible for fall sports.
Eligibility requirements like what? Sounds like another losing lawsuit.
I know this is likely a silly questions but WTF is the portal for? Is it just to acknowledge you are not at a school any longer? Is it specific for sports?

Basically if I am a regular *** student, not playing sports, start at UM and decide to transfer to USF I dont have to go in the portal, I just withdraw from school A, fill out the requirements and enroll in school B.

I see the portal as a giant *** spreadsheet to help market, get your name out, alert other schools etc. Maybe there is something wonky with scholarships but I dont see why if I play football I cant just withdraw and enroll in any school I deem fit.

I know this is likely a silly questions but WTF is the portal for? Is it just to acknowledge you are not at a school any longer? Is it specific for sports?

Basically if I am a regular *** student, not playing sports, start at UM and decide to transfer to USF I dont have to go in the portal, I just withdraw from school A, fill out the requirements and enroll in school B.

I see the portal as a giant *** spreadsheet to help market, get your name out, alert other schools etc. Maybe there is something wonky with scholarships but I dont see why if I play football I cant just withdraw and enroll in any school I deem fit.
Well prior to implementing the "transfer portal" that is exactly what you did. It was supposed to be a safeguard for students and schools. However, as with everything the NCAA does, it was poorly constructed.

Advertisement
The date was not the point. Having a date was the point.
Right so at that point you're just saying there are no rules, cause lets say we make the day August 1st, which is basically the same as saying You got to be enrolled for Fall to play Fall sport. Well then you've just eliminated the portal completely for everyone.
I think the portal windows are generally good given players can transfer and have eligibility without sitting as many times as they want now, But for Graduates, I think just the enrolled in Fall to compete in fall makes sense.

Well prior to implementing the "transfer portal" that is exactly what you did. It was supposed to be a safeguard for students and schools. However, as with everything the NCAA does, it was poorly constructed.
Yeah and I get it is a safeguard but my inquiry was if you play a sport are you REQUIRED to go in the portal or if you could elect to do it the old way. Or what is stopping someone from saying I dont want to play a sport anymore so I am just going to transfer the old way then re-find their love for said sport.

I get it is a safeguard but my inquiry was if you play a sport are you REQUIRED to go in the portal or if you could elect to do it the old way. Or what is stopping someone from saying I dont want to play a sport anymore so I am just going to transfer the old way then re-find their love for said sport.
When they changed the transfer rules they made the portal a requirement to be eligible.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back