Tyler Baron DE, J George WR, Xavier WR, and NIL walk into a bar…

Lightfoot and Cole, too. No reason these kids can't give us a few snaps if they're as good as people think they are.

Jon Garvin had back to back strip sacks in huge games in 2017 as a true freshman, and he wasn't nearly the recruit Lightfoot is, for example.

Bain, Alston, Mesidor and Baron, again assuming health for them, are all proven players. They have done it against similar competition, and we know they can play. Lightfoot beat the **** out of every OL at the all-america games, and CMC has drawn rave reviews in spring. Again, not saying we should be counting on them to win games for us as true freshmen, but sprinkled in for a few snaps a game once we get to ACC play? Very doable.

That's 6 talented kids rotating through. And don't forget that it looks like they're using Malik Bryant as an almost pure pass rusher now. Maybe Armondo Blount can come in on a 3rd down against a tired tackle late in a game in October and make a play?

We have enough talent here and at DT to win the ACC, if we can get Baron (and he's healthy) and Barrow.
Still not as confident at DT but if you land Baron I think we are fine to have a top 1/3 pass rush in the ACC. DT I just can’t stand relying on two tiny players in Cook and Gore. CJ Clark will be solid but I feel like it would have been better had we heard Moten and Horton were looking great all spring maybe I just missed those reports

Advertisement
Still not as confident at DT but if you land Baron I think we are fine to have a top 1/3 pass rush in the ACC. DT I just can’t stand relying on two tiny players in Cook and Gore. CJ Clark will be solid but I feel like it would have been better had we heard Moten and Horton were looking great all spring maybe I just missed those reports
Can we put this to bed once and for all? Gore is 6'0. Cook is 6'2 300 lbs. Why are we comparing the two?

Advertisement
This one is interesting bc i have to imagine hes not coming here to be a backup or rotational DE.

If he is, great pickup. That's a playoff worthy De rotation (Bain, Mesidor, Alston, Baron)

But if he's looking to start, what's the plan with Mesidor? DT or portal?
Starter is just a title. If he were a starter, there is still going to be a rotation. It's about the snap count.

He played in 11 of 12 games in 2022, was honorable mention All-ACC, tied for the team lead in TFLs and led the team in sacks. The team, by the way, was 10th in the country in sacks per game, and this guy had more than anyone.

I've seen this stupid **** more than once the last couple days. Can we stop this dumb****ery, please? He got hurt last year. That's one year. He was arguably our best defensive player 2 years ago, he wasn't hurt the entire season.

Nothing will be handed to him, just like nothing will be handed to anyone except probably Cam Ward. But stop the oft-injured stupid ****. If he's healthy, he's going to be VERY hard to bench. And if someone does come in and puts him on the bench, then that dude is a dog and we're gonna be really ******* good on the edge.
You are 100% correct, but Mesidor didn't play in the spring and needs special shoes to play. You don't know what he's going to be this season or if he can remain healthy. The staff has to get another starting caliber DE to protect against the worst case scenario. If Mesidor stays healthy, we have one of the best DE rotations in the country. If he he has a setback, one of the young guys steps up as the #4 DE.

We are in trouble if either Cook and Gore are playing significant minutes and rotating in during the first quarter. We need a starting caliber portal transfer defensive tackle, plus one of the youngsters to step up or two portal transfers.
Cook not good?

Advertisement
He's had an interesting 4.5 months. Starter at Tennessee, enters the portal, commits to Ole Miss, flips to Louisville, enrolls at Louisville, and reenters the portal 3 months later.

NIL. Gotta love it.
Louisville appears to be having NIL money issues. Can't blame a player for bouncing if the the check bounces or doesn't come at all.

Advertisement
According to a certain poster here he was but others like D$, etc. said he wasn't. Think he'll be a depth piece at worst.
You got to know everyone strengths and weaknesses.. D$ is elite at certain things but you gotta know how to balance the takes..

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back