Tyler Baron DE, J George WR, Xavier WR, and NIL walk into a bar…

The argument against X is silly. All he does is catch passes, get open and produce night in and out. We are very fortunate to have him this season.

My gripe with George is not his talent, I think we can all acknowledge that he’s a very talented WR that has the ability to go for 100+ any given night. It’s also not really the off-field behavior…it’s the inconsistency that’s very much apparent (and to a lesser extent, the in-game behavior, which one could argue goes hand in hand). X is consistent, George is absolutely not.

Post in thread 'Sam Brown, WR, Houston'
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/sam-brown-wr-houston.190973/post-7138439

Here’s why imo. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t turn up into another year this year, especially with a QB like Ward vs. TVD. But I do believe there’s a reason we paid up for Brown, and that reason is he’s more complete than George is. It’s a good problem to have - three 800+ yard WRs
Agree 100% on Brown. Needed a true outside receiver that could produce, even in the event George lets his emotions get the best of him.

Advertisement
I don't think the inclusion of Brown has anything to do with Jacolby George. They play different positions. Sam Brown is more of a replacement for Colbie Young.

WR-X is Brown
WR-Z is George
Slot - Restrepo
Brown moves around. They incorporated him into both outside positions + some slot work at times, although predominately you are right.

It’s more so the acquisition signaling George + Horton isn’t good enough for Cam, we need to get him another weapon with speed on the outside and good route running that will open the offense up even further…and when teams key in on X with bracket or zone coverages, Brown gives you a legit weapon in the event George is having one of those games where he disappears.

The argument against X is silly. All he does is catch passes, get open and produce night in and out. We are very fortunate to have him this season.

My gripe with George is not his talent, I think we can all acknowledge that he’s a very talented WR that has the ability to go for 100+ any given night. It’s also not really the off-field behavior…it’s the inconsistency that’s very much apparent (and to a lesser extent, the in-game behavior, which one could argue goes hand in hand). X is consistent, George is absolutely not.

Post in thread 'Sam Brown, WR, Houston'
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/sam-brown-wr-houston.190973/post-7138439

Here’s why imo. Now that doesn’t mean he can’t turn up into another year this year, especially with a QB like Ward vs. TVD. But I do believe there’s a reason we paid up for Brown, and that reason is he’s more complete than George is. It’s a good problem to have - three 800+ yard WRs
Might depend on game plan but george absolutely showed up and made big plays in our big games (AM 3tds, Clemson endzone recovery, UNC TD, FSU TD) We can put on fsu film and see who stepped up for backup QB and who didnt..

We should be good with our top 3 guys and with emergence of #2 in spring and the young guys developing wr core should be strength

And I know many here wont say it but Dawson is on the hook to produce a TOP TEN offense this year.. No excuses (barring injury). If everyone can agree we have a top 5-10 QB, top 10 RB, top 10 WR core and a highly thought of Oline, why should the offense NOT be expected to be TOP 10 in nation?! I see some 30-35 point estimates. Top 10 is high 30s minimum.. LETS GOOO

Brown moves around. They incorporated him into both outside positions + some slot work at times, although predominately you are right.

It’s more so the acquisition signaling George + Horton isn’t good enough for Cam, we need to get him another weapon with speed on the outside and good route running that will open the offense up even further…and when teams key in on X with bracket or zone coverages, Brown gives you a legit weapon in the event George is having one of those games where he disappears.
I can agree to that.

With that said, I guess I used to be the low man on George...but he was pretty productive for a really ****** Miami passing offense last year and he's got his flaws, but I think he works nice as an ACC WR2 or WR3. He'll get better, too. He made a big jump last year...hope he just becomes more consistent overall and matures a bit on the field.

Horton is still a wildcard, and should not the 1-for-1 replacement for Young. Brown was a smart pickup. Watching his film in the offense they ran at Houston...you see him succeeding in areas Young and Horton found some success, but not anywhere close to the consistency needed to have a functional offense.

I can agree to that.

With that said, I guess I used to be the low man on George...but he was pretty productive for a really ****** Miami passing offense last year and he's got his flaws, but I think he works nice as an ACC WR2 or WR3. He'll get better, too. He made a big jump last year...hope he just becomes more consistent overall and matures a bit on the field.

Horton is still a wildcard, and should not the 1-for-1 replacement for Young. Brown was a smart pickup. Watching his film in the offense they ran at Houston...you see him succeeding in areas Young and Horton found some success, but not anywhere close to the consistency needed to have a functional offense.
And Dawson loves those screens and brown is very good at yac

Advertisement
absolutely no statue because the game has changed and it is more pass friendly which allows for more catches. irvin, dre,etc. are beyond whatever X does here. im looking to get back to those days of DUDES we had at WR, not a diet berrios without the athleticism (fwiw, just look at the game threads and the X threads about CIS true feelings on him). its typical CIS offseason. George has potential but until he shows he can keep his emotions in check, he isnt dependable/reliable. he hurt us big time in two key games with stupid anger management issues. that is part of it about being a productive player. I do like the sam brown addition and intrigued to see him here. i like jojo as a recruit. i want to see what ray ray has. i want to see robbie on the field. i want to see what Ny Carr brings as well as im excited for him as a recruit. tbh, im more excited about the future at WR here than i am about the current returnees that are set to take the majority of snaps not including Brown as hes a new addition but i think he can take the room to another level.
Implying X lacks athleticism is ridiculous. Part of the reason QBs are so comfortable looking to him is because he gets open (which takes athleticism), and even moreso, despite being a smaller WR his catch radius far exceeds that of many larger receivers. Go back and watch how often he catches a less than well-thrown ball thanks to a combination of quick change of direction/speed and twisting and contorting his body to get the ball ....which requires great athleticism. You seem to think athleticism is limited to speed.

First of all, Academia and Sports are different.

I'm willing to bet you, nobody has an issue with a kid transferring and being able to immediately resume classes at the new school. Back in the day when players had to sit out a year to transfer, that didn't mean they couldn't take classes for a year. Of course not. So to compare them to regular students in this regard is manipulative.

Second of all, when millions of dollars are being thrown around, absolutely restrictions should be involved. Can NFL players just up and walk out of a team at any time and go play for another one because the other situation is more advantageous for them? Absolutely not. They do that when their contract (restriction) is up.

The problem is the NCAA used manipulative tactics of the opposite nature that you just tried to use. The NCAA told everyone for decades that because they are students they can't make money. And noe you're saying that because they are students they should have thr rights of regular students.

You're both wrong. They should be able to make money, and they shouldnt be viewed as normal students when what we are talking about it football (for normal rights please see paragraph 1 above). Eventually logic and law will catch up and there will be restrictions on how they can move, whether that be considering them employees, contractual buyouts, or another method...something will stop them from being able to move whenever they can. It'll take a few years to get there though, so for the time being...I'm glad UM is taking advantage of the situation as opposed to not.
Sir.... I applaud you. Excellent post.

Celebrity gif. Dwayne Johnson chomps on gum and stands in a crowd. He shakes his head with an amazed expression, clapping his hands like he's impressed.

Advertisement
If that is your vision of CFB let's just remove C from CFB and create a professional league with free agency and salary cap. What college students transfer every semester looking for a degree? In your example you use "Stanford" as a final destination which in real life not driven by sports it should have been your first destination from the beginning. Unrestricted free agency is ruining college athletics no other way to put it.
What exactly do you mean by ruining it? I’m legitimately interested in what is being ruined?

This is my example. Maybe you will like this one better than my last one about academics.

Many years ago, Duke and Kentucky, started recruiting the very best prep basketball players to play at their respective schools as “one and done” players. All the best players were now going to a handful of schools. Many fans, social media personalities, and forum posters stated this was ruining college basketball. Many stated the practice would cause fans to become less interested because they couldn’t root for the same players for many years. There are several parallels to NIL and transfer portal.

So, what happened to college basketball? Did Duke and Kentucky dominate with these mercenary basketball teams? Did fans lose interest in the game? Or did other schools like Villanova and Gonzaga unexpectedly become stronger throughout the process? Did the product actually improve and the teams that emphasized development get stronger? Are there more people watching now? Is the product ruined?

I don’t know that NIL/Portal will be the same as “One and Done”, but the point is that the sky wasn’t and isn’t currently falling. We all shouldn’t immediately take the approach of regulating and restricting the athletes is my main point.

Advertisement
Back