Poplar in Portal

I dribble better than dude im in my late 30s and havent played structured basketball since the Pal League in middle school.

Dude has no chance of being Donte Divincenzo lol
It was more positioning Poplar as a complementary player and what that upside looks like as opposed to the player comp

Advertisement
Behind the paywal but Poplar explains why he left.

Wooga Poplar
put up career-best numbers this past season at Miami, but the toolsy, 6-foot-5 wing is looking for more. Poplar was a late addition to the transfer portal, and he's one of the top available wings left on the board.
Ahead of the 2023-24 campaign, Poplar was a popular breakout selection in just about everyone's eyes. In some ways, he lived up to most of the hype. Poplar shot over 40% on 114 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers last year. The explosive athlete shot over 64% at the rim, with some rim-rocking dunks. Poplar had some big showings in non-conference play, including a 19-point, eight-rebound showing at Kentucky and 15 points and six rebounds against Kansas State in November.
But he didn't fully explode.
A nasty sprained ankle kept him out of two early-January games against Clemson and Wake Forest and hampered him for the rest of Miami's frustrating, 15-17 season. The injury was painful and annoying, but Poplar also expressed some frustration with his role at Miami. Poplar had just an 18.9% usage rate during ACC play. That was the second-lowest mark in Miami's six-man rotation –– behind Norchad Omier, Matt Cleveland, Nijel Pack and Bensley Joseph.

"I felt like there was a better opportunity for me somewhere else," Poplar said. "Miami is a great school, but I felt like I needed to move on. When I was at Miami, I was kinda in the corner. No plays run for me. So I need to go to a school where I have plays run for me and I can get my teammates involved. I feel like I can do way more than just stand in the corner."
High-major programs like Arkansas, Villanova, Duke, Kentucky, Illinois, Georgia, Kansas State and Kansas have all been in contact.
"I feel like I can show more coming off ball screens," Poplar said. "I'm not just a spot-up guy. I feel like I can do everything on the floor. That's what I'm looking for in my next year. I felt like I was supposed to be that guy until the injury happened. Things happen for a reason. I'm just going to schools and seeing what anyone else can give me. I will work for my spot. I'm not looking for it to be easy. Wherever I feel comfortable and wherever is home for me, that's where I'll be attending."

Wooga Poplar put up career-best numbers this past season at Miami, but the toolsy, 6-foot-5 wing is looking for more. Poplar was a late addition to the transfer portal, and he's one of the top available wings left on the board.
Ahead of the 2023-24 campaign, Poplar was a popular breakout selection in just about everyone's eyes. In some ways, he lived up to most of the hype. Poplar shot over 40% on 114 catch-and-shoot 3-pointers last year. The explosive athlete shot over 64% at the rim, with some rim-rocking dunks. Poplar had some big showings in non-conference play, including a 19-point, eight-rebound showing at Kentucky and 15 points and six rebounds against Kansas State in November.
But he didn't fully explode.
A nasty sprained ankle kept him out of two early-January games against Clemson and Wake Forest and hampered him for the rest of Miami's frustrating, 15-17 season. The injury was painful and annoying, but Poplar also expressed some frustration with his role at Miami. Poplar had just an 18.9% usage rate during ACC play. That was the second-lowest mark in Miami's six-man rotation –– behind Norchad Omier, Matt Cleveland, Nijel Pack and Bensley Joseph.

"I felt like there was a better opportunity for me somewhere else," Poplar said. "Miami is a great school, but I felt like I needed to move on. When I was at Miami, I was kinda in the corner. No plays run for me. So I need to go to a school where I have plays run for me and I can get my teammates involved. I feel like I can do way more than just stand in the corner."
High-major programs like Arkansas, Villanova, Duke, Kentucky, Illinois, Georgia, Kansas State and Kansas have all been in contact.
"I feel like I can show more coming off ball screens," Poplar said. "I'm not just a spot-up guy. I feel like I can do everything on the floor. That's what I'm looking for in my next year. I felt like I was supposed to be that guy until the injury happened. Things happen for a reason. I'm just going to schools and seeing what anyone else can give me. I will work for my spot. I'm not looking for it to be easy. Wherever I feel comfortable and wherever is home for me, that's where I'll be attending."
Meanwhile, he hasn't landed anywhere yet.

It’s crazy because L loved him and saw him as a potential future NBA starter and was trying to help him improve his handle and develop his game… but without a handle the options are pretty limited.
His stock was high a year ago because he projected as a complementary, athletic 3 and D player in NBA, which teams can never have enough of. Perhaps the staff overestimated his upside but he simply will never be a primary scoring option at a high-major program, and I think that's why he hasn't found a home yet.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back