Duke Johnson retires

Advertisement
Still remember that at FSU. He was ripping them up. Had us in the game by himself. He was trying so hard and extra. Then he broke his ankle. He was a special player, a true Cane!

Advertisement
His game against VT was amazing. He went off.
I've rewatched that game a few times over the years. He went off, Golden tried to get him the record, good times.

The best part was VT. Even when they caught a break they ****ed it up. Nothing they could do. Hilarious! 5 stars just for the humor.

And to think, that VT team beat the national championship OSU team that still had their first two QBs.

Advertisement
8p7qiw.gif

I met Duke here in Cleveland while I was waiting to go in for a job interview. Almost missed it because i just had to talk to Duke and get a picture with him. Yes, I went full fan boy! Anyway, Duke was actually injured and was beat to ****, but he took the time to come and talk to me. He thought I was just a Browns fan, but he lit up when I said, "Nah, we gotta talk about the 'Canes". In many respects, he felt like the last "true Cane". I wish his NFL career reflected the heart that he played with (even for the Browns).

Advertisement
Before that play. We had just left the sideline, we heard the crowd going nuts from in the tunnel. Somebody tells us Duke broke a long run, we missed it. Tried to get on the elevator and we were pulled back to the field because Duke was looking for Carter when he came to the sideline after the run with the ball. Went back and this moment happened.

He also did the exact thing at the VT game after that long run he had. If you rewatch the highlight, after he scored he went looking for Carter in the stands instead of celebrating, but Blake James had pulled us to the box with him. Two of his longest runs he gave the ball to Carter, which we still have to this day. One on display in the house, the other stashed away. After the VT game he also gave Carter his gloves. He played flag ball in them for a couple years and the other kids used to ask where he got Miami "PE" gloves from, and we'd just say from a Miami player.

Great memories of this gentleman, will forever be grateful for him 🙏🏾

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221106_080701.jpg
    Screenshot_20221106_080701.jpg
    500.4 KB · Views: 0
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back